Can anyone identify this mystery photo-interrupter?

Dear All, Can anyone identify this

mystery photo-interrupter for me? It comes from a custom laboratory instrument made at a German university, for which I have no documentation :-{. The interrupting device is a 'spoked' code wheel. That and the device's six pins make me fairly sure it must be an encoder type. The closest looking devices I could find browsing RS, Farnell, Mouser & DigiKey websites are the Honeywell HOA0901 & HOA0902
but their 4 sensor side pins are arranged to define a parallelogram rather than truncated pyramid mine has. Any ideas?

Many thanks Tom Crane

Ps. The email address in the header is just a spam-trap.

--
Tom Crane, Dept. Physics, Royal Holloway, University of London, Egham Hill,
Egham, Surrey, TW20 0EX, England.

If there are no markings at all, could it be a home-brew.Easy enough to make a casting rubber mould from a commercial device and then cast your own variant after precisely placing the 3 opto devices and then dunking in the resin

Reply to
N_Cook

Interrupters as single component are a fairly new thing. You probably won't find an exact match.

You might be able to operate without the case - just naked parts on the PCB - if there's little stray light.

--
Astraweb posts are filtered as spam
Reply to

Probably is a two-phase pair. If you're more interested in just getting the instrument running again, rather than finding an exact replacement, you can probably find some useful parts in an older (non-optical) computer mouse.

Isaac

Reply to
isw

At a guess I'd say that has two opto-receivers in the four pin end. Then it can do direction with only one opto module. Your selection part at Mouser looks like a good option to replace it.

You may have to modify the PCB slightly to allow the device to fit, and figure out the wiring.

I have a bunch of old optos as used in early video games, but I only have a three pin device which is a single opto transistor AFAIK.

John :-#)#

John's  Jukes Ltd. 2343 Main St., Vancouver, BC, Canada V5T 3C9
                      www.flippers.com
John Robertson

John Robertson wrote: : On 08/13/2014 5:59 AM, Use-Author-Supplied-Address-Header@[127.1] wrote: : > Dear All, : > Can anyone identify this : >

mystery : > photo-interrupter for me? It comes from a custom laboratory : > instrument made at a German university, for which I have no : > documentation :-{. The interrupting device is a 'spoked' code wheel. : > That and the device's six pins make me fairly sure it must be an : > encoder type. The closest looking devices I could find browsing RS, : > Farnell, Mouser & DigiKey websites are the Honeywell HOA0901 & HOA0902 : >
but their 4 : > sensor side pins are arranged to define a parallelogram rather than : > truncated pyramid mine has. Any ideas?

My thanks to all who followed-up. I tried an HOA0901 which proved to be workable stand in.

Tom.