Tada.... SONY Have Done It Again

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9075-1914429,00.html

Here we go again.......

Re: Tada.... SONY Have Done It Again

I guess I won't be upgrading my eyepatch of Soundforge anytime, as Sony
bought it a while back.

Re: Tada.... SONY Have Done It Again

Sony should run an advertising campaign telling consumers that it is
safer to pirate music online than to buy Sony CDs in the shops.

Cheers,
Nicholas Sherlock

Re: Tada.... SONY Have Done It Again

On Thu, 08 Dec 2005 14:33:18 +1030, John

At least Sony has the balls to make an attempt to protect there own
interests.

And

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,9075-1917245,00.html

Shows a perfect reason as to why software patents are a joke.

Re: Tada.... SONY Have Done It Again

What ? By taking ownership of your PC because you bought a music CD.

Not even Bill has that much arrogance - he's close tho.

Re: Tada.... SONY Have Done It Again

Put yourself in Sony's situation. You have something that everyone
else wants. Everyone goes out of there way to steal what you own. What
do you do? Me personally, i dont sit back and let people steal what i
own.

So, what can you do? A third party company comes up with an idea to
protect your interest. What would you do? Would you say 'No, I prefer
people to keep stealing what I own, what I paid for' or would you say,
I will give it a go?

What would you do? Everyone is quick to bag Sony, but no one seems to
understand why they are doing this.

BTW. I am not saying what they do is right, but in their favour, they
are only trying to protect what they rightfully own.

Re: Tada.... SONY Have Done It Again

Two wrongs don't make a right.

They don't rightfully own your PC though they think they do by installing
malware.

Fuck Sony, I'm never buying any of their crap again.

Re: Tada.... SONY Have Done It Again

Yep, I understand and agree they have a perfect right to protect their
property.

The argument is about how they completely ignored the buyers rights and
overstepped what is ethically ( at the very least) reasonable - even in
todays world.

Re: Tada.... SONY Have Done It Again

noone was stealing anything from Sony.  Copyright infringement is not theft.

one would hope that they'd consult some experts before rolling out stealth
software.

when the guard dog becomes a public nuisance the guard dog must go.

They should be more carefull, So far all they've managed is to convince some
people that it's safer not to buy CDs.  Not exactly the result they wanted.

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Tada.... SONY Have Done It Again

On Wed, 14 Dec 2005 06:12:16 -0000, Jasen Betts

Yeah, i think that has already been proven in court. Mind you, if
_you_ spend millions signing and recording some artist and
distributing their music, you have an investment. If I stole your
investment would you be happy?

They did, the experts were wrong. The experts supplied the software.
Sony did not write the software.

Perhaps. But if there never was a guard dog we would never know.

I guess the police pulling me up for an RBT is a nuisence, i guess we
should get rid of the police too.

I doubt very much that this will affect the business significantly.

Re: Tada.... SONY Have Done It Again

I'd make sure I understood what I was getting before spending millions.

Gee, I' wonder if they'd be intersted in buying this bridge I have here.

--jasen@clunker:~$ man sn | grep moder
Reformatting sn(8), please wait...
jasen@clunker:~$ man sn
jasen@clunker:~$ man snsend
Reformatting snsend(8), please wait...
jasen@clunker:~$ less /var/spool/sn/dot-outgo-
/var/spool/sn/dot-outgo-: No such file or directory
jasen@clunker:~$ less /var/spool/sn/
.chain
.fifo
.newsgroup
.outgoing
.table
0
4
alt.binaries.schematics.electronic
alt.comp.lang.javascript
alt.electronics
alt.electronics.analog
alt.electronics.manufacture
alt.electronics.manufacture.circuitboard
alt.electronics.maplin-electronics
alt.test
aus.electronics
bcraig.cybernet.co.nz
comp.lang.c.moderated
comp.lang.java.javascript
comp.lang.javascript
comp.publish.electronic
comp.sci.electronics
gaia.fido.electronics
hacktic.electronics
hr.sci.electronics
local.test
misc.industry.electronics
F10 key ==> File   Edit   Search   Buffers   Windows   System   Help
Newsgroups: aus.electronics
Subject: Re: Tada.... SONY Have Done It Again
<f2lip158fph265h2gtee3hnqp54aa$

I'd make sure I understood what I was getting before spending millions.

Those were the wrong ecperts to give an objective assessment of the software.

me neither.

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Tada.... SONY Have Done It Again

I actually agree and understand your sentiment in part......

Having said that some other less intrusive form of protection
could have been implemented...... Perhaps copying only on
the computer that the disc is played? Some kind of encoding
that only works on 1 computer......

How about the music CD has a small portion set as writeable
and once inserted into a PC it would encode to that particular
PC and allow copying but ONLY on that PC........

Re: Tada.... SONY Have Done It Again

["Followup-To:" header set to aus.electronics.]

Too much bother to go to for what ammounts to a pretense of copy-
protection...

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Tada.... SONY Have Done It Again

By installing a security issue onto your PC without your knowledge or
consent?
And someone wishing to play a CD on their PC doesn't make them a pirate,
it's a generalisation based on a false assumption.

Fuck Sony, piratebay it is.

Re: Tada.... SONY Have Done It Again

Re: aus.computers

Rootkits are bad. This is no paranoia, that people are concerned that
Sony/other crackers might abuse the computers that been 'owned'.

Though, I do question the use of this article as a source of information
with their use of hacker meaning cracker, because quite plainly, people who
abuse the rootkit are crackers.

Re: Tada.... SONY Have Done It Again

On Sun, 11 Dec 2005 04:09:29 +0000 (UTC), Flashes of Sky

I wonder if two rootkits could coexist on the same machine. Both would
be trying to gain control of the OS kernel. It would be interesting

I sympathise with those whose IP is being stolen - they have a right
to expect that their interests will be protected. OTOH a consumer has
the right to expect that the price he pays for a product will not be
subverted by anticompetitive practices such as region coding, or
restrictions on parallel importing. Sony can't have it both ways. They
certainly don't have the right to take control of someone else's
property.

I like to think of myself as an occasional hacker. Getting a piece of
hardware or software to do things it wasn't designed to do is a buzz.
A hacker is the ultimate lateral thinker, whereas a cracker is just a
smart crim. It's unfortunate that the two terms are used
interchangeably.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Tada.... SONY Have Done It Again

Rootkits don't take over the kernel. they just modify it to mask their
existance. much like the "stealth visuses" of old.

--

Bye.
   Jasen

Re: Tada.... SONY Have Done It Again

What a pitty Sony don't stick to what used to be their core business -
electronics.

Maybe they wouldn't be churning out the unreliable crap that they do now.

Site Timeline