split aircons at aldi/bunnings - Page 2

Re: split aircons at aldi/bunnings

Welding aluminium being not for the faint hearted.

Could one replace all the piping with copper at install time, albeit at
some cost?

Sylvia.

Re: split aircons at aldi/bunnings
Not the aluminium in the condensor and evaporator if they use it there

Re: split aircons at aldi/bunnings

I'm talking about the internal piping. The Aly is not as malleable as copper
and can crack with vibration etc. It is also hard to form if you need to
bend it away from something

Metro...

Re: split aircons at aldi/bunnings

It solders easily enough though (with the right flux and solder).
noone welds copper pipe.

I see no reason why not except possibly galvanic corrosion problems.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

---

Re: split aircons at aldi/bunnings

 To say that ' noone' welds copper pipe is wrong. It's done all the time.
You can weld with adhesive, solder, filler rod, gas and electric etc. Copper
pipe is often welded together with silver solder.To weld something only
means to unite or join.............We often weld pvc sheeting on our jobs

Re: split aircons at aldi/bunnings
Metro explained on 24/10/2011 :

In the contex -- To solder, to most people means to use  soft solder
and a low temerature torch.
To weld means to use a 2 gas torch or some form of arc to attain the
higher temperatures of Silver soldering, brazing or arc welding.

Of course you WELD PVC sheeting, there is no such term or process in
plastics as soldering.
And yes to the pedantic all the above may be welding but welding often
has no added other material in the joint.

Wheras soldering always rquires Solder to join the other 2 pieces.

The real solution to this absurdly long thread is to install a packaged
unit as supplied or get professional help to do a custom job.

--
John G.

Re: split aircons at aldi/bunnings

Plastic welding is used extensively these days in the automotive smash
repair industry. Had a go at it myself back in 81 or 82. It's not a new
process by any means and it isn't difficult to do.

That depends on what the other material is. In most welding I have done
myself and that which I have seen others do, there is a "filler"
material used. The filler material isn't always the same as the material
being welded. Electric arc welding rods are a case in point as you can
get a huge variety of different types of rods for a wide variety of
purposes. These filler materials are selected and used according to the
needs of the welded joint and in many cases can make the welded joint
much stronger than the surrounding unwelded material.

Krypsis

Re: split aircons at aldi/bunnings

To say that ' noone' welds copper pipe is wrong. It's done all the time.
You can weld with adhesive, solder, filler rod, gas and electric etc. Copper
pipe is often welded together with silver solder.To weld something only
means to unite or join.............We often weld pvc sheeting on our jobs

Incorrect,
Welding does not just mean uniting or joining.
Materials welded together have to be at a temperature above their melting
point .
Soldering or brazing is surface alloying and the joined materials are  below
their melting temps.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Welding

Re: split aircons at aldi/bunnings

I never heard of it being done for a domestic or commercial air-con
install.  is always soldering where pipe sections need to be joined.
(unless it's a flared joint etc.)

with adhesive it's gluing, with solder soldering.

if the filler mixes with the pieces being joined it's welding.

you need to get a bigger dictionary.

I've seen welded PVC sheets (eg: beachballs) it's an ultrasonic
pressure precess isn't it?

plumbers often weld solid pvc using solvents to get it to coalesce

I've heard of solid polystyrene (not foam) being welded using ether.

--
⚂⚃ 100% natural

---

Re: split aircons at aldi/bunnings

has anyone here bought one of these air cons and can tell that it is
self install ?

I looked at one today at aldi, and the "installation manual" specified
that it was necessary to flare the pipe and also to vacuum out the
pipes.  This doesn't sound like self install to me.

Re: split aircons at aldi/bunnings

Not sure how you would "vacuum out the pipes"as the outside section is
usually charged with gas which you would lose if you tried.
with these units you usually connect pre flared tubes, leaving one a bit
undone, turn an allen key a bit to release gas up into and through
evaporator driving air from the pipes then tighten flare nut after a
very short time then fully open allen key valve.

Re: split aircons at aldi/bunnings

They showed the use of a vacuum pump in the installation manual.

I looked at the bunnings ones today, they were AKAI brand, came in 3
sizes, no one had a clue whether they were self install or not, and
the manuals were not accessable.

Re: split aircons at aldi/bunnings

I don't know ho they do that unless the hose connection with the
schrader valve in it is open to the flair connection to the evaporator
when the allen key valve is shut. Doing one shortly I will check.(Mine
will run on R290 (propane)) All of these units have warnings that
licensed people must install but are designed that any one mechanically
capable can do it.

Site Timeline