Aldi charger

I have a few Aldi intelligent chargers and they blow up, has anyone else had this problem? The older of the two I can find at the moment has this.

the newer has a similar PWN current mode controller with the top completely blown of and looks to be UC3842AN do not know what the resistor is. When I tried to buy at RS have to buy min of three, If they are going to blow up may be worth it. Don't know if the two different numbered ICs are similar (have to check data sheets. When they work they are alright sort of but I do not think they are all that smart, sometimes leave them on the motor bike forever and when I look they are kactus,I do not think they are good at floating on a bike battery even though they have a bike setting ( the bike has a big battery and the last time the the electrolyte had gone low.

Reply to
FMurtz

They're from the same series, just slightly different specs:

The chips used in the power supplies might be fakes, but it could also be a design problem such as too much power dissipation or latch-up of the output due to a voltage spike (just two that come to mind). In the latter case, replacing the chips will only buy you a bit more time (at best) until the new ones go the same way (and if you're unlucky, perhaps start a fire next time).

I don't know what these Aldi "intelligent chargers" are like, but if they're designed/built so badly that they're burning out en-masse, I wouldn't be inclined to keep using them. Sounds like the type of cheap Chinese rubbish that I wouldn't trust with mains power in the first place.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

These "cheap" devices do not have the smarts to cater for many likely situations and fast chargers are notoriously bad at doing float tasks. Also, anything with electrolyte doesn't like log tem float charging. it is a good way to destroy a battery. Try doing the long term float through a timer that opperates for one day a week/fortnight/etc. you can not float a batter indefinitelyt, they have to be exercised.

Reply to
news18

I have had one for a couple of years without problem, I just use it to keep my jetski battery charged. I leave it on for a couple of days usually but not permanently.

Reply to
keithr0

I left it too long set on motor cycle and I read somewhere that that setting on a big battery causes it to evaporate electrolyte. Do not know why but when I found it not working the electrolyte was level or just below plates I am going to try no name 5 for a dollar chips for an experiment to repair (instead of $16.00 for three from RS) These intelligent chargers are not all that cheap by aldi standards, think they were $30.00 or so

Reply to
FMurtz

You might get the battery working agin if you can replace the electrolyte. Well that works a few time on deep cycle lead acid, but impossible on SLA. YMMV

My rule of thumb is that a good charger costs more than the battery does.

Reply to
news18

Went on about 300 km ride with lots of pub stops (but I do not drink The others did)through southern highlands and coast on Saturday and it started each stop. See if it starts in a weeks time without a charge.

Reply to
FMurtz

Cheap shit IOW.

Reply to
Clocky

send one to bigclivedotcom :)

Reply to
noel

We print and sell Grade A banknotes of over 52 currencies in the world.http s://documentssforall.com Our money is perfectly reproduced, Indistinguisha ble to the eye and to the touch. We are sending in various sizes, packed an d hidden. All our counterfeit banknotes carry all the holograms and water m arks and passes the light detector test. We ship worldwide and delivery is at your home with no interference of Custom. Our undetectable High-quality Banknotes are available in stock waiting to change someone?s story.

WhatApp + 1 (916) 469-5044

We are well known to produce the best novelty documents of any kind and shi p everywhere. Documentssforall.com team is the best online and have grown o ver time into the most reliable and professional real and fake documents ma kers online comprised of the best team of dedicated designers and affiliate d with other top documentation producers.

Reply to
spacemonkey house