ACA/TT: Split System Aircons, Every Degree over 20 adds 15% to your powerbill?

Can anyone provide any evidence to actually backup a claim like that? I didnt actually watch the show myself (would take quite an effort) .. however, my mother-in-law did, and takes it a bit seriously, and now doesn't want us running out reverse split system (2hp mistral .. the k-mart special they had a while back) at anything over 20 degrees.

It seems a tad rediculous tho .. we've been running it at around the 24 mark for the last ~month and when the previous quarters bill came in, there was nothing unusual on there compared to before we installed the unit ..

Is there any grounds to their claims?

Thanks!

[ VIDGuide.com ] [ Irdeto Card Sharing Resources & Other Sat TV Interests ]
[ http://www.VIDGuide.com ]
Reply to
Lord-Data

Every house will be different, a large number of factors are involved. Making general claims like that is silly.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

"Lord-Data"

** Better make sure you have interpreted it correctly.

The "powerbill" being alluded to is the one for the A/C - not the whole house.

** Certainly:

If the outdoor temp is say 13 degrees C while the indoor is 20C ( due to heat produced from an A/C running in reverse cycle) then to get it up to 21 requires about 15% more energy output - which adds the same percentage to the A/C's bill.

Still the cheapest way to heat a home by far.

Reply to
Phil Allison

Yep it's true, assuming a room temperature increase of about 6.6 degrees gained solely by the air conditioner in reverse cycle. If you assume a higher unheated room temperature, the figure will be WORSE! However turning off the air conditioner reduces your air conditioner power bill to zero!!

You save even more by not buying one in the first place. (you may need to buy a warm jacket and thick socks though :-)

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T