Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions - Page 3

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Better still, a diesel one.

Graham

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Such as ?

You can fit solar thermal on your own roof.

What's wrong with being huge btw. Huge is what's needed. I don't know why you
think it's unreliable. Remote in what way ?

Graham

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

I do not need a hotwater system atm. The current off peak electric one is
doing fine and replacing it for "environmental/philosophical reasons is
way down the list of expenditure..

It is at the end on an increasingly unreliable distribution.
It is also skyrocketing in costs.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich

:
:
:>> Solar thermal s just another huge, remote and unreliable technology on
:>> an equal footing to a coal fired power station as far as I'm concerned.
:>
:> You can fit solar thermal on your own roof.
:
:I do not need a hotwater system atm. The current off peak electric one is
:doing fine and replacing it for "environmental/philosophical reasons is
:way down the list of expenditure..

With the domestic power cost set to double in the next few years you might
regret not paying out the dollars now. When you do decide it is economically
viable, a solar hws will have increased even more, so you are in a no-win
situation. I have used solar hws for 30 years now and apart from one ill-fated
foray using a Quantum heat pump system (an expensive failure), I have found a
passive thermo-siphon system to be the best all-round performer. I have
currently installed an Edwards Titan 2 panel system with the tank separated from
the solar panels so the tank is not visible from the front of the house which is
north facing. Only the solar panels are visible and these will soon be
accompanied by six 175W Sharp PV panels for my grid tie system.

:>
:> What's wrong with being huge btw. Huge is what's needed. I don't know
:> why you think it's unreliable. Remote in what way ?
:
:It is at the end on an increasingly unreliable distribution.
:It is also skyrocketing in costs.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions
from
is

There may come a time when the economics shift in favour of Terry
installing a SHWS. But ripping out a functioning HWS now is unlikely to
be cost effective. Usually the time to make these decisions is when an
existing installation reaches the end of its useful life.

Sylvia.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

ill-fated
from
which is

In the UK shws complement the ordinary hws by pre-heating the input water.

Graham

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

That is part of the considerations. If I can get my brain functioning
enough* I'll try and graph electricity cost, PV installation cost, PV
generation over 25 years to see if I can find a nice big green area
(SAVINGS) and a minor red area (losses) .

It will all be relative. Any subsidy/rebate puts the price of these
ystems up. A solar HWS is economically viable in some areas in its own
right.

Town pressure? What distance  of run? My pipes would have to run 13metres
+ 3m up to roof.

from the front of the house

That is another problem, roof load capacity.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

AFAIK, not allowed by Integral Energy. SHWS in the right areas are more
than adequate heat producers. More so since mixer value become compulsory.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions
Get a life mate

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Why does making a valid observation imply that he doesn't have a life?

Sylvia.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Lol, it is a point of view. The validity is still open to debate. Many
insects would laugh at the validity.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

The validity that 'subsidies' are other peoples' tax money is indisputable.

Graham

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

While we are talking about subsidies:

http://www.stop-fueling-climate-change.org/docs/GPE388.1_FebReport_V5.pdf

Tony

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Greenpeace uses a very wide definition of subsidy. The only reason
renewables are not getting a bigger share of the "subsidy" is because
they're not producing a bigger share of the energy.

Sylvia.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Cool, my $8,000 will help redress that.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

I don't think so. You'll get a large slice of subsidy without producing
a correspondingly large slice of energy.

Sylvia.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Exactly. It's money down the dunny basically, when it *could* be used more
effectively.

Graham

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Id love to know how Greenpeace thinks we are going to make iron and
steel and concrete without emitting CO2.
Many industries in Australia are subsidised in some way.
The aluminium industry is one of the biggest.
But without Aluminium you cant make solar cells,so you wont hear much
from Greenpeace about Aluminium.
Most of the excise and rebates for off road vehicles goes to farm
machiinery which is used to grow food and to the trucking and rail
industries which deliver the food to the shops, and to the ports from
where we export it.
I guess Greenpeace would like us all to starve.

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Live in caves probably.

Graham

Re: Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Nope, they just haven't thought it all through.
Probably some agrarian utopia, but then that vision isn't limited to
greenies. there is as much of it is survivalist ATSHTF scenarios.