Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Greenpeace uses a very wide definition of subsidy. The only reason renewables are not getting a bigger share of the "subsidy" is because they're not producing a bigger share of the energy.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Id love to know how Greenpeace thinks we are going to make iron and steel and concrete without emitting CO2. Many industries in Australia are subsidised in some way. The aluminium industry is one of the biggest. But without Aluminium you cant make solar cells,so you wont hear much from Greenpeace about Aluminium. Most of the excise and rebates for off road vehicles goes to farm machiinery which is used to grow food and to the trucking and rail industries which deliver the food to the shops, and to the ports from where we export it. I guess Greenpeace would like us all to starve.

Reply to
Mauried

Agreed, but, PV is personal and intimate and offers me certain advantages when t is on my roof.

Solar thermal s just another huge, remote and unreliable technology on an equal footing to a coal fired power station as far as I'm concerned.

Reply to
terryc

Cool, my $8,000 will help redress that.

Reply to
terryc

That is the bullshit yarn they have been telling, but it is never going to happen in nuclear until thay are all produced in a factory and shipped to site. PV will reach that dream well before nuclear power ever comes close.

Reply to
terryc

I don't think so. You'll get a large slice of subsidy without producing a correspondingly large slice of energy.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Looks to me like the sole advantage is that you can be assured of some power on sunny days that are hot enough to cause power outages.

However you could get the same assurance, at much less cost, by buying a petrol driven generator.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Nope. A decent petrol gennie would cost nearly as much up front and the difference would soon go up the spout in petrol costs. A decent petrol gennie runs for hours and is built for it and is not a $169 special.

Reply to
terryc

Your 1KW solar panel still costs you in the region of $4000, after rebates. That buys a very nice generator indeed. Further, the fuel costs are pretty much irrelevant, because if you're only using it during power outages, it uses very little fuel. In addition, you'd be protected against outages in the evening, when your solar panels are just a load on your roof structure.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Sadly not. there is a whole pile of crap associated with keeping petrol suitable for use in long term storage. It would be worth the effort of going LPG/NG just to avoid this problem.

And produces very little power.

Naah, a couple of deep discharge batteries will cover the needed/ essential stuff that the LPG systems don't already cover (cooking, heating and lighting). Camping gear is very useful in this regard.

Reply to
terryc

Live in caves probably.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Exactly. It's money down the dunny basically, when it *could* be used more effectively.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I suggest you look at the French answer. It works.

" Over 75% of french electricity comes from nuclear power plants.[40] [41] France is the largest net exporter of electricity in the world.[40] Electricity exports generate over 3 billion euros of revenue a year for France.[40] French electricity costs are among the lowest in Europe.[40] A major factor in the low cost of electricity in France is the use of a single reactor design, which allows for economies of scale.[41] French CO2 emissions are among the lowest in the developed world, with 10 tons of CO2 equivalents per person per year. Danish citizens emit an average of 14 tons of CO2 equivalents per person per year.[43] Even Iceland, with its abundance of geothermal energy for heating, has higher per Capita emissions at 10.4 tons of CO2 equivalents per Capita."

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Better still, a diesel one.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Cooking and heating use a lot of electricity.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Yes, which is why our stove top is gas and we still have a wood heater, which is shortly to be replaced by gas.

We swapped out the electric kettle for the cuppa after the last bill. It pulled 9.? amps to boil a cuppa. Next target is the acre of glass in a free TV we were given.

We have gone from 19.1Kwh/day to 26.3Kwh/day in a year and we haven't a clue what is the source. (yes, we do no use dryer, little oven use, etc)

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich

Temperatures are not climate. Isn't that Hadley mob the ones that claimed were were having HOTTEST recorded days during this decade? and even Pilmer is skeptical on mixing buld, sat and ballon recordings. [Is the book worth the money?]

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
and another for the poor. After a personal visit;
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/04/27/2553855.htm
Reply to
terryc

Absolutely no information on disposal. Where? How? Who really pays for it? consumers or government(everyone?)

Nuclear Power has been talking this crap for decades and still doesn't have an answer.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
and another for the poor. After a personal visit;
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/04/27/2553855.htm
Reply to
terryc

Such as ?

You can fit solar thermal on your own roof.

What's wrong with being huge btw. Huge is what's needed. I don't know why you think it's unreliable. Remote in what way ?

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

The amps isn't the issue, it's the Wh ( or Joules if you prefer ).

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore