Solar Grid Connect 1kW questions

Oh not that nutcase claim.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Dry waste storage has become increasingly popular.

On the contrary, it powers France and some of its neighbours.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

I do not need a hotwater system atm. The current off peak electric one is doing fine and replacing it for "environmental/philosophical reasons is way down the list of expenditure..

It is at the end on an increasingly unreliable distribution. It is also skyrocketing in costs.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich

Well, I can measure amps and calculated KiloWatthours from that which is what I get killed for on the electricity bill.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
and another for the poor. After a personal visit;
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/04/27/2553855.htm
Reply to
terryc

It isn't a nutcase claim. Average Temperatures at my location have been increasing for the last two decades. Why? Because I am located in the middle of growing suburbia with humoungous amounts of black road surface that store heat during the day and release it at night.

Not to mention all the trees that had a cooling effect on the predominantly westerly winds have now been replaced by roads and roofs.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
and another for the poor. After a personal visit;
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/04/27/2553855.htm
Reply to
terryc

Your answer proves my point. Everything has failed for thirty years and they are still running around like headless chooks on what to do with it.

Is that so they can be made to share in the toxic waste storage problem? You are avoiding the question.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
and another for the poor. After a personal visit;
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/04/27/2553855.htm
Reply to
terryc

Nope, they just haven't thought it all through. Probably some agrarian utopia, but then that vision isn't limited to greenies. there is as much of it is survivalist ATSHTF scenarios.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
and another for the poor. After a personal visit;
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/04/27/2553855.htm
Reply to
terryc

Oh please, are you that stupid that you are oblivious to the subsidies given to these companies. Or for that matter any company in Australia that promises to create jobs; hint, land, rates, services, electricity, water, tax deductions, legalprotection, etc.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
and another for the poor. After a personal visit;
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/04/27/2553855.htm
Reply to
terryc

It takes a certain irreducible about of energy to boil water. If you buy a kettle that draws a lower current, it will simply take longer to boil the water. But you can make a saving by investing in a modern type of kettle with a flat element, because you avoid having to boil more water than you intend to use merely so that the element is covered.

Maybe time to check for unauthorised cabling leading to your neighbour.

Or check the calibration of your meter.

Does the meter stop when everything is turned off?

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

:On Tue, 28 Apr 2009 01:15:33 +0100, Eeyore wrote: : : :>> Solar thermal s just another huge, remote and unreliable technology on :>> an equal footing to a coal fired power station as far as I'm concerned. :> :> You can fit solar thermal on your own roof. : :I do not need a hotwater system atm. The current off peak electric one is :doing fine and replacing it for "environmental/philosophical reasons is :way down the list of expenditure..

With the domestic power cost set to double in the next few years you might regret not paying out the dollars now. When you do decide it is economically viable, a solar hws will have increased even more, so you are in a no-win situation. I have used solar hws for 30 years now and apart from one ill-fated foray using a Quantum heat pump system (an expensive failure), I have found a passive thermo-siphon system to be the best all-round performer. I have currently installed an Edwards Titan 2 panel system with the tank separated from the solar panels so the tank is not visible from the front of the house which is north facing. Only the solar panels are visible and these will soon be accompanied by six 175W Sharp PV panels for my grid tie system.

:> :> What's wrong with being huge btw. Huge is what's needed. I don't know :> why you think it's unreliable. Remote in what way ? : :It is at the end on an increasingly unreliable distribution. :It is also skyrocketing in costs.

Reply to
Ross Herbert

from

is

There may come a time when the economics shift in favour of Terry installing a SHWS. But ripping out a functioning HWS now is unlikely to be cost effective. Usually the time to make these decisions is when an existing installation reaches the end of its useful life.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

Who allegedly subsidises Nuclear Power plants when they are owned and operated by the State, such as Chinas are. You cant subsidise yourself.

Reply to
Mauried

You're living in a 'heat island'.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

There's a limit to how many lumps of $8000 the gov't can hand out for next to no return.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

ill-fated

from

which is

In the UK shws complement the ordinary hws by pre-heating the input water.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

That is part of the considerations. If I can get my brain functioning enough* I'll try and graph electricity cost, PV installation cost, PV generation over 25 years to see if I can find a nice big green area (SAVINGS) and a minor red area (losses) .

It will all be relative. Any subsidy/rebate puts the price of these ystems up. A solar HWS is economically viable in some areas in its own right.

Town pressure? What distance of run? My pipes would have to run 13metres

  • 3m up to roof.

from the front of the house

That is another problem, roof load capacity.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
and another for the poor. After a personal visit;
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/04/27/2553855.htm
Reply to
terryc

AFAIK, not allowed by Integral Energy. SHWS in the right areas are more than adequate heat producers. More so since mixer value become compulsory.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
and another for the poor. After a personal visit;
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/04/27/2553855.htm
Reply to
terryc

ASIO spy equipment in the ceiling is more likely. I'm also pretty sure that the cats haven't smuggled in a heated pad as they sleep everywhere.

Yep, BTDT, but that doesn't check calibration.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
and another for the poor. After a personal visit;
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/04/27/2553855.htm
Reply to
terryc

That is basically what cities/large towns are.

--
Once again, our prime minister Kevin Rudd brings stability to the nation
by reassurring the nation that one law still exists for the rich
and another for the poor. After a personal visit;
http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/04/27/2553855.htm
Reply to
terryc

No, I meant that as an additional check.

An appliance such as a heater is likely to draw pretty much what the rating plate says. Meters have markings on them to indicate how many turns of the disc per kWh, or in the case of modern digital meters, how many times an led will flash per kWh, or the energy represented by each flash.

So, albeit with a bit of work, it is possible to check that the meter is recording the amount of energy that the heater would use in a given time. Any significant discrepancy would demand further investigation.

Another possibility is that the pressure relief valve in your HWS is leaking.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else