RIP Bob Pease

(Repost - Not using Google groups so those who block GG can see it)

Word has just filtered through Twitter that Bob Pease was killed in a
car accident.
This one by the sounds of it:
http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_18310586?source=rss&nclic ...

In a sad twist, it is reported that he was returning from Jim Willam's
memorial.

A sad week indeed.

RIP Bob Pease.

Dave.

Re: RIP Bob Pease

.

That is sad news indeed. Perhaps you have more information than was =
given in20%
the link, but in the comments it reveals that the address is the =
Mountain20%
Winery:
http://www.mountainwinery.com /
http://events.mercurynews.com/saratoga-ca/venues/show/4467-mountain-winer =

Perhaps that was the venue for the memorial. I suppose we will have more =

official news in a day or two. But, my friend's sister, who lives in20%
Oakland, was married to a (different) Robert Pease, and he would also be =

about 70. When we visited her in 2003 enroute to Yosemite, I drove her =
car,20%
which was a VW Superbeetle.

Strange, too, is that I just last week found a couple of old issues of20%
Electronics Design and I read some articles by Robert Pease.

I met Robert Pease several years ago when he gave a seminar at =
Arrowfest. He20%
was quite a character, and I enjoyed the way he presented his material. =
He20%
will be sorely missed (if the rumors of his passing have not been =
greatly20%
exaggerated).

Paul20%

Re: RIP Bob Pease

source=rss&nclic..
win

Sadly it's confirmed.
http://electronicdesign.com/Blogs/JoeDespositosBlog/tabid/727/entryid/16
4/Bob-Pease-Killed-in-Car-Crash.aspx
Even Wikipedia is up to date on it.

Dave.

Re: RIP Bob Pease
On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 08:16:50 GMT, the renowned "David L. Jones"

< snip >

FWIW, Wikipedia was updated quite early to include the report, then it
was swiftly reverted back until a credible reference was provided.

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Bob_Pease&diff=prev&oldid43%5212786

Sad. Bob was a real character.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: RIP Bob Pease

Strange how you feel close to someone through their writings. I was
rereading one of Jim Williams books when I saw the news here, and then
this.

I feel like someone should check Win Hill is OK... :(

--

John Devereux

Re: RIP Bob Pease

I'd just re-read "What's All This Femtoampere Stuff?" a week or so
back. (wanted to revisit the triboelectric stuff)

Pease was a character.  I s'pose Widlar and Williams (Tony) and
Williams (Jim) needed needed one more, for doubles.

Shame, for us.

--
James Arthur

Re: RIP Bob Pease

I met Bob a couple of times in the mid 2000s, when his analog seminars
stopped in Long Island, and we corresponded occasionally thereafter.  I
have an autographed poster of him on my lab wall.  I learned a lot from
his app notes (as well as Widlar's, Dobkin's, Yamatake's, and Williams's).

He won't be writing any more, which is sad.

So to all you old farts with good stuff to pass on--get busy writing.

Cheers

Phil

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

Something weird about this story.

http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4217077/Analog-expert-Bob-Pease-die =
s-in-tragic-accident

The story says Bob was late to Jim Williams memorial, because he was
working at National Semiconductor. I thought Bob no longer worked at
National.

And Paul Rako's blog for today is about Jim Williams and Agilent.

http://www.edn.com/blog/Anablog/41145-Jim_Williams_loved_Agilent.php

Re: RIP Bob Pease
it:http://www.mercurynews.com/bay-area-news/ci_18310586?source=rss&nclic ...
http://www.eetimes.com/electronics-news/4217077/Analog-expert-Bob-Pease-dies-in-tragic-accident

As I recall, Bob was released from National some months ago, to my
astonishment.

I think early reports are generally loaded with errors.

Re: RIP Bob Pease

Apparently they had hired him back as a consultant.

http://www.edn.com/article/518568-Analog_engineering_legend_Bob_Pease_kille =
d_in_car_crash.php

Re: RIP Bob Pease

Retired perhaps. But it's VERY easy to believe he was still
there. Many smart companies have an "emeritus" status or similar
they award to someone 25% as important as Bob Pease.

Consider if they did not do so... Competitor B (and C & D) would
call him that day and say "We have a lab for you; come in when
you want, do what you want..."
Re: RIP Bob Pease

I talked with him soon after it happened.  He was _not_ happy with
National's management at that point.  Glad to hear they made up.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

So is it because of sacrilege or fondness that the words "So What's All
This Heaven Stuff, Anyhow" keep repeating in my head?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Reverence,
Perhaps I'll get to read that article/ rant in the future.

George H.

(Do they have 10k resistors in Heaven?)

Re: RIP Bob Pease
On Mon, 20 Jun 2011 11:21:51 -0700 (PDT), George Herold

  In Heaven, you will have no gender.  You will have no gadgetry.
You will have no desires of the flesh.

 Not that anyone here would have a grasp of it.  They cannot even get
their current consciousness together worth a shit.

  Gotta ring your own bell ALL THE TIME, eh?

  Sheesh.  Even if we hadn't killed our master, we are beyond assistance.

  It is certain that there are millions, if not billions of life forms on
other planets that are orders of magnitude smarter than our pathetic
species is.

Re: RIP Bob Pease

<SNIP to here>

<SNIP from here>

  What if you and your spouse, girlfriend or boyfriend both make it to
Heaven?

  If that ends up lacking pleasures of body sensations or even good-
feelings from dressing-up or dressing-sexy, then why should this be
preferable over alternatives such as extinguishing,
reincarnation or Hell?
--
 - Don ( snipped-for-privacy@do0nklipstein.com)

Re: RIP Bob Pease

And it will be fantastically boring after a very short while. In the
first third of eternity you can solve chess. Then you can solve Go on
every size of board and after that it will get pretty boring.

The main selling point in antiquity was that you would not always be in
danger of starving to death nor could you be killed again.

The key point of the "jam tomorrow" promise was that starving serfs
would loyally follow their kings into battle because the established
Church took 10% of what little they had off them and told them that the
King was God's representative on Earth. Failure to follow His orders
immediately condemned you to an eternity of Hellfire.

A cunning scheme and probably the canonical "jam tomorrow" scam.

It's modern equivalent in a more materialistic world is the Nigerian 419
scam - which promises a shorter wait for your share of $20M.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Re: RIP Bob Pease

Superannuation will end up in the same way also.

Re: RIP Bob Pease

Assuming you had complete control over the state of your own
consciousness in Heaven, you could decide that contemplating the number
1 was the most interesting thing in the universe to do, and do that for
eternity.  If by some fluke you did become bored, you could move on to
the number 2, and so on.  If for some reason the concept of numerals
does not exist in Heaven, perhaps one could instead contemplate the
empty set, and then the set of the empty set, and then the set of the
empty set which contains the empty set...

Re: RIP Bob Pease
On Tue, 21 Jun 2011 04:48:08 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@DonKlipstein.com (Don

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."
 -- Mark Twain

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA

Site Timeline