RIP Bob Pease

(Repost - Not using Google groups so those who block GG can see it)

Word has just filtered through Twitter that Bob Pease was killed in a car accident. This one by the sounds of it:

In a sad twist, it is reported that he was returning from Jim Willam's memorial.

A sad week indeed.

RIP Bob Pease.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones

.

That is sad news indeed. Perhaps you have more information than was = given in=20 the link, but in the comments it reveals that the address is the = Mountain=20 Winery:

Perhaps that was the venue for the memorial. I suppose we will have more =

official news in a day or two. But, my friend's sister, who lives in=20 Oakland, was married to a (different) Robert Pease, and he would also be =

about 70. When we visited her in 2003 enroute to Yosemite, I drove her = car,=20 which was a VW Superbeetle.

Strange, too, is that I just last week found a couple of old issues of=20 Electronics Design and I read some articles by Robert Pease.

I met Robert Pease several years ago when he gave a seminar at = Arrowfest. He=20 was quite a character, and I enjoyed the way he presented his material. = He=20 will be sorely missed (if the rumors of his passing have not been = greatly=20 exaggerated).

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

"P E Schoen" wrote in news:itmrhp$a9p$ snipped-for-privacy@speranza.aioe.org:

source=rss&nclic..

win

Sadly it's confirmed.

Even Wikipedia is up to date on it.

Dave.

Reply to
David L. Jones
< snip >

FWIW, Wikipedia was updated quite early to include the report, then it was swiftly reverted back until a credible reference was provided.

Sad. Bob was a real character.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Spehro Pefhany

Bob was killed in a car crash, while not wearing a seat belt, on 19 June

2011[6] after attending the memorial service of Jim Williams (analog designer), another renowned staff scientist working at Linear Technology.

RIP Bob.

-- Boris

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Strange how you feel close to someone through their writings. I was rereading one of Jim Williams books when I saw the news here, and then this.

I feel like someone should check Win Hill is OK... :(

--

John Devereux
Reply to

Something weird about this story.

s-in-tragic-accident

The story says Bob was late to Jim Williams memorial, because he was working at National Semiconductor. I thought Bob no longer worked at National.

And Paul Rako's blog for today is about Jim Williams and Agilent.

Wanderer

So is it because of sacrilege or fondness that the words "So What's All This Heaven Stuff, Anyhow" keep repeating in my head?

--
Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Tim Wescott

..

Reverence, Perhaps I'll get to read that article/ rant in the future.

George H.

(Do they have 10k resistors in Heaven?)

Reply to
George Herold

May we all get there so we can ask him.

RIP Bob.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

it:

As I recall, Bob was released from National some months ago, to my astonishment.

I think early reports are generally loaded with errors.

Reply to
John S

In Heaven, you will have no gender. You will have no gadgetry. You will have no desires of the flesh.

Not that anyone here would have a grasp of it. They cannot even get their current consciousness together worth a shit.

Gotta ring your own bell ALL THE TIME, eh?

Sheesh. Even if we hadn't killed our master, we are beyond assistance.

It is certain that there are millions, if not billions of life forms on other planets that are orders of magnitude smarter than our pathetic species is.

Reply to
OutsideObserver

I could list several in this newsgroup that have a very low likelihood of joining the group.

You know... Like Jeffery Dahmer supposedly repented before he was killed or suicided.

First off... it was not likely sincere, and secondly, the suicide would negate it.

The lord said that anyone who believes. That is the trick though. The worst guy in the world can go, but the likelihood of those words sincerely passing his lips before he croaks is very low.

There are some here that are so full of themselves that they surely already think they are sin free.

I won't be seeing them at the lawn darts court.

Reply to
OutsideObserver

Why do you have to stick your appendage in and spoil everything, AlwaysWrong? Have you no respect for anyone or anything?

Reply to
John S

What if you and your spouse, girlfriend or boyfriend both make it to Heaven?

If that ends up lacking pleasures of body sensations or even good- feelings from dressing-up or dressing-sexy, then why should this be preferable over alternatives such as extinguishing, reincarnation or Hell?

--
 - Don (don@do0nklipstein.com)
Reply to

And it will be fantastically boring after a very short while. In the first third of eternity you can solve chess. Then you can solve Go on every size of board and after that it will get pretty boring.

The main selling point in antiquity was that you would not always be in danger of starving to death nor could you be killed again.

The key point of the "jam tomorrow" promise was that starving serfs would loyally follow their kings into battle because the established Church took 10% of what little they had off them and told them that the King was God's representative on Earth. Failure to follow His orders immediately condemned you to an eternity of Hellfire.

A cunning scheme and probably the canonical "jam tomorrow" scam.

It's modern equivalent in a more materialistic world is the Nigerian 419 scam - which promises a shorter wait for your share of $20M.

Regards, Martin Brown

Reply to
Martin Brown

t to

d-

Superannuation will end up in the same way also.

Reply to
kreed

"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." -- Mark Twain

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

Assuming you had complete control over the state of your own consciousness in Heaven, you could decide that contemplating the number

1 was the most interesting thing in the universe to do, and do that for eternity. If by some fluke you did become bored, you could move on to the number 2, and so on. If for some reason the concept of numerals does not exist in Heaven, perhaps one could instead contemplate the empty set, and then the set of the empty set, and then the set of the empty set which contains the empty set...
Reply to
Bitrex

Should we nominate a slate of candidates for Current Analog Designer To The Masses based on their published bibliographies? I'll nominate Walt Jung.

Reply to
BobG