Google Groups is Terminal

I guess they have finally screwed GG up so much that it has stopped working altogether. I don't see a single post in two days in any of the groups I read. That is way beyond the 99th percentile so it must be a GG problem.

Maybe its time to get a newsreader again.

Rick

Reply to
rickman

You should use Thunderbird as your news client. I do, and misery loves company.

--
Rob Gaddi, Highland Technology
Email address is currently out of order

For what it's worth, I am using Agent (

) +
for reliable and almost 100% spam free access to usenet, which is slowly dying nevertheless...

-- Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group. Return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

Which provider do you use? I am currently using Eternal September and the spam filtering is hit-and-miss ... some groups are nearly spam free while others are plastered with spam.

Which is sad because Usenet forums still are archived - though searching for something more than a few years old is problematic. Google Archives and The Way Back Machine have made it easier, but they still don't have a lot of the old stuff indexed. Some of the most interesting compute-related threads I've ever seen were from the 70's and 80's.

Meanwhile the stupid web forums are at the mercy of whoever runs them ... many are dynamically served from a database and the Internet spiders can neither index nor archive them. If the host goes under or decides to shut down, the forum and all the information it contains may be lost.

George

Reply to
George Neuner

Is in the post:

At a very reasonable price, (AKA bargain,) of 10 euros per year.

I don't read messages on line, always download them and save everything. There are many gold nuggets worth keeping but, who is going to index and catalog all this?

I have been thinking of creating an embedded mailing list similar to c.a.e as much as possible, or may be, comp.arch.embedded.moderated. Oh, well, another well meant project...