Product Design FAIL! - Page 2

Re: Product Design FAIL!

On Thu, 03 Jun 2010 11:37:02 +1000, Sylvia Else

I have these things called "opposable thumbs." Maybe I should post a
video blog and show people how they work.

Hey, I can do the Hitchhiker's Thumb thing. Who else can/can't?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thumb

John

Re: Product Design FAIL!

I have one hitchhiker's thumb (left).  I hear that's unusual, i.e. less
usual than both.

Tim

--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.

Re: Product Design FAIL!

On Sun, 6 Jun 2010 19:27:39 -0500, "Tim Williams"

I've always thought that asymmetric people were more interesting.

John

Re: Product Design FAIL!

Well, my old Tenma has a really stiff dial knob. Can't turn it with out
holding it and it is 20 yrs old.
Plus it has better battery life than the Fluke 77 I inherited.

Cheers

Re: Product Design FAIL!

Kind of reminds me of the two old gents discussing matters of how they
are able to bend their member all over the place. Because when they were
young, they couldn't. So they concluded that when you get older, you
get stronger..

Re: Product Design FAIL!

Phew, didn't realise I was just getting stronger.

Re: Product Design FAIL!

  First time I ever saw a man publicly call being flaccid "stronger".

  Pretty funny, you are.

Re: Product Design FAIL!

I'll solve this for ya: index finger curled over the top of the DVM and
your thumb on the button.

Re: Product Design FAIL!

That ain't a solution, it's a workaround.
Should I hold my tongue at the correct angle too?

Dave.

Re: Product Design FAIL!

"David L. Jones"

** Course it  IS  a solution and very workable one too.

 Prodding at the meter (when using the tilt) with your fingertip is plain
dumb.

** Now he wants to operate the meter with his tongue too  ??

    Totally off with the fairies ......

....   Phil

Re: Product Design FAIL!

  It was either a Beetle Bailey or a Michael Jordan joke/reference.

  Most folks got it.  You did not.

Re: Product Design FAIL!

If you want to get picky about ergonomics, why not point out the problem
in the Rigol scopes, where when you push any of the upper buttons (
Measure, Acquire, Storage, etc ) the scope slides across the bench or
falls over backwards unless you hold it.

My old ( and much bigger and heavier ) scopes never did this.

But the Rigol still has better performance for its price by several
orders of magnitude.  I'm not complaining.

Re: Product Design FAIL!

"Adrian Jansen"

 ** Hold it  ???

Just gotta rest your fingertips on the top while pressing with the thumb to
achieve that.

....  Phil

Re: Product Design FAIL!

I don't think I'm being picky at all. It's my job to review these meters and
I found a poor design aspect that others meters do not exhibit.

That's only an issue on the laminated type bench tops, and not nearly as bad
as you describe for me. You must be heavy handed or have a teflon bench top
or something!
I find it even less of a problem with the tilt feet extended (more weight on
the big back rubber feet). Not that's it a problem for me at all, I can push
the buttons and not have it move at all on any of my surfaces. But yes, the
laminated type is the worst.
No issues at all on my wooden bench top or glass desk, I'd have to put like
kg's of force or something to move it.

Dave.
Re: Product Design FAIL!

Haven't had that problem.

Sometimes the cat tries to sleep lying on top of it, and has managed
to switch it on though via the top button.
Not really a design fault of the Rigol though.

That never happened with the old tektronics 150mhz analog though :).
It is heavy and does NOT move.

Re: Product Design FAIL!

On Thu, 3 Jun 2010 09:25:52 +1000, "David L. Jones"

As the doctor said, "Don't do that!"

John

Re: Product Design FAIL!

   You forgot to hit him with the rubber chicken. :(

have a DD214, and a honorable discharge.

Re: Product Design FAIL!

   Useless for dial-up..

Re: Product Design FAIL!

Should you expect to be able to push the buttons with the tilting bail?,
lets find out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNlhtlKpntY

Dave.

Re: Product Design FAIL!

Oh well, guess one can't argue with that.

Sylvia.

Site Timeline