problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO - Page 3

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

"Phil Allison"

 Correction:

 ** DSE do  NOT actually employ monkeys  -   AFAIK.

     That is just an ugly rumour.

......   Phil

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

Thats exactly what Im saying :)

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

"Simon"

** Take the CRO  bank   -  get another one.

     The CRT is faulty.

........   Phil

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

An about face hey Phil?  A few posts back you were accusing Simon of not
knowing what he's doing.  Now it's suddenly a different story.  Hey, but is
anyone here surprised?  Nope.... just the little bleeding toaster boi doing
ape shit as usual. :-(

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

heh, Ive actually got Phil blacklisted, so there ya go.  ;)

So the concensus is that its busted?

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

Hi Simon,

From what you have described, it sounds to me it is faulty.  Get it
exchanged for a new one.

Cheers,
Alan

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

Yep, take it back to Tricky Dickies.

Dave :)

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

Man did I get that wrong!
But a original description I had to work off "peaks  and troughs" ?
on a square wave I would of called them "highs and lows"

I suspect what you are tring to say is
when I display a sinewave, why is it the trace almost disappears as it
crosses the X Axis, while when it turns on the Y axis it is as clear as
daylight.

3) Why can I not see the near vertical lines on a wave, but only the peaks
and troughs?

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

"Simple Simon"  = SS

** This mysterious Q is now explained.

SS ( who has no clue even what a sine or square wave is) has used the "
Probe Adjust " signal to test his new toy.  This is a fast 1kHz square wave
of  0.5 V p-p.

The DSE produced " User's Manual " for the CRO shows a drawing  ( on page
9 ) of what the trace should look like which is technically WRONG   -   the
rises and falls are shown having the same width the top and bottom lines.

Arrrrrrrggggggghhhhhhhhhh   !!!!

.......   Phil

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

--------------
The vertical lines you can't see because their rise and/or fall time is
virtually instantaneous. You don't need any fancy electronics to
achieve this fast rise time, I first got caught out on this "invisible
vertical trace" when first using a CRO back in the 80s measuring the
square wave output from a 555,   :)

The other problems sound like a faulty unit or CRT, unless you have
excessive mains voltage at your house maybe ?  Might be worth measuring
it (WARNING: DON'T attempt this if you don't know exactly what you are
doing, instead, retest the unit at someone elses house or at DS store.)

Take it back, and explain the problem, they will probably let you take
another one, and if you still have troubles, I'm pretty sure DS have
got a satisfaction guarantee on everything as long as its returned
undamaged, in original packing and with the receipt.

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

Yeh, I understand it now. I was actually expecting the test signal to be a
sine because of the curvature of what was showing on screen. Little did I
know it was like that because the thing was shot to hell.

Naw, no excessive voltage here. If anything we're a bit under :D

Yeh, did that this arvo - the new unit works flawlessly. \o/

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

Would not surprise me if the original unit came out of the factory like
that. QA on such low cost units is almost non-existent, it's a lucky
dip. Same deal with those el-cheapo multimeters, many of them have
faults out of the box.

Dave :)

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

Dave, I think you're right on the money with that observation.  If the box
retails at under $100 and obviously the retailer is still making a tidy
profit, one can only guess what the factory price is before shipping and
importing.  Bugger all!
Yes the product still has QA - it's called the Customer. :P

The OP should just return it for an exchange or refund.  No one in their
right mind would seriously consider repairing it as it would most likely
cost more than the buy in price to do so.  When it makes it back to tricky
dickies it's most likely fate will to fall from a great height and become
another stock loss / insurance claim.

Cheers,
Alan

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

    Not just cheap instruments either. Back when I was servicing audio
gear, it wasn't uncommon to have a brand-new CD player with an up-market
brand name not function straight out of the box.... because a ribbon
cable hadn't been plugged in.
    I recently bought a generic 512MB USB flash drive. Completely
erratic operation which often made Windoze Explorer freeze.
    Final testing? What final testing? Let the customer see if it works.

Bob

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

Connect the output of the manufacturing line straight to the input of the
plastic packaging line ...

Re: problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

Precisely!!

Site Timeline