problems with Dick Sniff's cheap 10Mhz CRO

heh, Ive actually got Phil blacklisted, so there ya go. ;)

So the concensus is that its busted?

Reply to
Simon

Hi Simon,

From what you have described, it sounds to me it is faulty. Get it exchanged for a new one.

Cheers, Alan

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

"Simple Simon"

** No.

The DSE user manual has it shown on the BNC socket end, fig 3.5, page 9.

Geezus - there out to be a law against supplying anything technical to this Simon boob.

Like the one the prohibited the sale of guns to Indians in the Old West !!!!

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Could someone here please send Philthy Phil a Christmas present. Make it a new vocabulary which doesn't include all the potty mouth stuff he seems to have overdone here in the past year please.

Reply to
Alan Rutlidge

Yep, take it back to Tricky Dickies.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

There's something seriously wrong with the trace width and astigmatism on yours. Assuming that you don't go for a refund, when you get a replacement unit, follow the instructions for setting up the probe compensation so you get a nice looking square wave.

Cheers Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

No, thank you!

I played with the compensation, but without a decent sine to adjust against its a waste of time.

thanks for the photo Bob, I adjusted my settings to match yours and I get a solid flaring blob :)

Back she goes!

Reply to
Simon

Mine has one, but its on the connector end not the probe itself like the manual would suggest.

Reply to
Simon

Not sure which camera you're referring to. You'll have to ask Simon what he used. Mine was taken with an Olympus C-740.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

"Simple Simon"

** ROTFLMAO !!

So " Simon The Congenital Fuckwit Simpleton " lives right near a DSE store - but still chose to buy himself a fragile CRO by mail order ...... ????????

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

On 17/12/2006 20:48 Simon wrote: >

No worries. We'll never know exactly what the problem was.

Q1803s don't work at all if they get thrown around violently enough. See

if you haven't already.

Cheers Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

Thanks Bob, I just swapped it out for a fresh unit and it now works fine.

Musta copped a beating in the post I guess.

Thanks again for your help

Reply to
Simon

-------------- The vertical lines you can't see because their rise and/or fall time is virtually instantaneous. You don't need any fancy electronics to achieve this fast rise time, I first got caught out on this "invisible vertical trace" when first using a CRO back in the 80s measuring the square wave output from a 555, :)

The other problems sound like a faulty unit or CRT, unless you have excessive mains voltage at your house maybe ? Might be worth measuring it (WARNING: DON'T attempt this if you don't know exactly what you are doing, instead, retest the unit at someone elses house or at DS store.)

Take it back, and explain the problem, they will probably let you take another one, and if you still have troubles, I'm pretty sure DS have got a satisfaction guarantee on everything as long as its returned undamaged, in original packing and with the receipt.

Reply to
kreed

Yeh, I understand it now. I was actually expecting the test signal to be a sine because of the curvature of what was showing on screen. Little did I know it was like that because the thing was shot to hell.

Naw, no excessive voltage here. If anything we're a bit under :D

Yeh, did that this arvo - the new unit works flawlessly. \o/

Reply to
Simon

How many hands does it go through before it gets to the DSE store? Plenty I bet, one extra leg ain't much on top of that.

Some poeple don't have the time to pop into a DSE store, could easily waste an hour of your time, and to some people that's valuable. Often easier and cheaper to get something posted.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

"David L. Jones Total Wanker "

** None involving Australia Post.

None involving individual items.

** Not when that extra leg involves Australia Post and the item is fragile.
** What hypothetical crapology.

The Jones Moron excels in this art.

** Note when you are near a store, the item is in stock and is fragile.

FUCKWIT !!!

........ Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I've sent plenty of fragile items through Aust Post no problems at all, including CRO's. If it's an inadequate packing issue then that's another matter entirely.

Forget to take your meds again Phil? Perhaps you should consider expanding your Toaster & Valve amp repair business to include the multitude of DSE CRO's that will be busted by Aust Post? A small ad in SC might work wonders.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Would not surprise me if the original unit came out of the factory like that. QA on such low cost units is almost non-existent, it's a lucky dip. Same deal with those el-cheapo multimeters, many of them have faults out of the box.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones

Well Dave, even Aussie Post said the Q1803 they smashed the CRT of was packed adequately, then claimed it was already damaged when it was posted. You can see their letter on my website.

Cheers Bob

Reply to
Bob Parker

It may certainly well have been, do you know for sure it was working before DSE sent it? What was the packing like in the orginal CRO box? The photo to me shows a rather small original box, and not what I would call teriffic packaging outside it.

I recon you simply ran out of luck Bob, or perhaps this scope construction has a particular weak point, shock or vibration wise?. As I have said before I have shipped many fragile items including CROs by Australia Post without any problem what so ever. But then again I am

*really* paranoid about packing.

Having recently run a great deal of shock and vibration repsonse tests on packaging material for delicate electronics, I'm convinced more than ever that packaging is the key. Aust Post are no worse than the likes of other courier companies in my experience.

Dave :)

Reply to
David L. Jones