Oxygen Free Cables

Are they still made and marketed with  hype like
back in the 80s and 90s?

You know stuff like
"Your ears will tell the difference"

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

Oxygen free is old hat, you can buy them in Coles Supermarkets.
The new ones are cryogenically frozen, polarised, have battery powered
biased dielectrics, different size strands for different frequencies,
and need to be "broken in" for extended periods before they sound the
best.

Dave :)

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

That's nice Dave. I must get some.

This reminds of a really interesting thing I read a few years ago in
"Upgrading and Repairing PCs" by Mueller. I assume it is correct but
haven't verified...

The rage these days seems to have gold-plated connectors for this,
that and the other. The interesting thing is when connectors are
mixed. Apparently, a problem has been seen with RAM where the pads on
the SIMs are gold plated and the socket on the MOBO is tinned. Some
odd metalurgy occurs that actually causes a breakdown in the
connection - and requires the SIMs to be removed and reseated every
now and then. So, if this is correct,  it is possible to create a
poorer connection by using gold -- unless you make sure the mating
connector is also gold-plated.

Cheers
Glenn
                                Glenn Pure
                       Canberra, Australia
Web page: http://www.evans-pure.net

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

Would explain why my RAM goes ratshit every few months with that exact fix.

-mark

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

On a related topic: look up "Tin Whiskers" and "Zinc whiskers"

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

fix.

In my experience, based on physical measurement, thermal creep of the
carrier causes this.  The temperature variations across the length of the
SIMM, the position of the SIMM carrier on the motherboard with respect to
heat sources and the (poor) quality of the materials causes the contacts to
move slightly.  Reseating the SIMM fixes it for obvious reasons.  The
electro-chemical potential of gold and almost any other metal commonly used
in electronics is zero, so its virtually inert.  Poor quality carriers are
far more likley to be the culprit - better airflow around the internals will
possibly fix it permanently.

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

Absolute rubbish!!
Audio frequencies will simply travel down the path of least resistance

If you believe all the crap about audio cables then you deserved to be
ripped off by the places that market them.

this is simply the time period it takes for you to fool yourself that the
high price you paid for your cables was worth it.

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

Duhh, he was taking the piss.

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

Either your wit is far too dry for me, or you need a new sarcasm detector.
At least Dave was funny, IMO.

MrT.

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

Hey, just because you can't  you can't hear the difference doesn't mean
others can't appreciate the immense difference good cables make.With my
biased dielectrics I can even hear the difference between using NiCads
versus NiMHs (NiMH are *very* clean and accurate, but I find NiCads, though
slightly warm, altogether more "musical").

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

Have you tried Lithium batteries on the dielectric? Lithium produces
the utmost in clean dynamic range, surpassing that of NiMh.
On a true Audiophile grade system you will be able to actually hear
solar flares on the sun when you power the dielectric with a solar
cell. You have to use the polycrystalline type though, amorphous cells
don't have the depth of field required. Adds a nice warm tube-like
sound to the music.

Dave :)

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

though

Now *THAT* was good!  :-)

Ken

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

I'll say.

Cheers
Terry

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

I concur.

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

That could almost pass for chinglish.....

Do you write user manuals  :)

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

Write them like Yoda I do.    :-)

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

Lithium also adds to the calming effect good music has
on the human mind.  ;-)

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

I wish! Bloke at the shop says I'm not ready for solars yet - and he says
that anyway, when I do go solar, I'll need to cut a hole through the roof of
my listening room. Not all bad news though - he says I *might* be ready for
lithiums, and, seeing how things go, he'll let me upgrade my cables to a
pair of LiIons (no, not polys - he's got too many other audiophiles waiting
for them dammit), so there's hope yet.

Re: Oxygen Free Cables

Urgg, NOT a "tube like sound"!

:-)