OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work - Page 5

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

Perhaps. And

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/nsw/consol_reg/rtrr2007478/s83d.html

Sylvia.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

**Urk. Insurance knocked you back?

Bugger. Sorry to hear that.

It's why I drive a vehicle that is not worth insuring. And I try not to run
into anything. Driving a nice car has lost all it's appeal nowadays. One of
my mates rolled up the other day in an old (slightly beat-up) Falcon. I
asked: "Slumming it today, Bruce (knowing that Bruce owns a very nice,
current model E-Class Benz)?"

Bruce replied: "Nope, just off to Miranda Fair. I would never take the Merc
there."

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au

Repairing insured write-offs in NSW.

No - I was just reacting to

<http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/insurance-companies-are-writing-off-cars-with-minor-damage-to-avoid-repair-bills/story-e6freuy9-1226052090152

The details are not that clear, in that on the one hand it appears that
the insurer has written the car off, but on the other hand, the owner is
still in possession.

That aside, if an insurer decides your vehicle is write-off, but you
want to keep it on the road, you have to apply to the RTA for a repair
authorisation. But to get one you have to fit into one of the
catergories in the regulation. They amount to some legislator's view of
why a person might reasonably want to repair a vehicle deemed by an
insurer to be a write-off. That is, the legislator is substituting their
own view about the course the owner should take for the course that the
owner wants to take, even though it's the owner's money.

That's why it reminded me.

It appears the situation above can also arise if someone runs into you,
and their insurer decides that your car is a write-off.

Sylvia.

Followups to aus.cars

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

Sylvia, I suggest you install a video surveillance system so you can
observe your oven while in other rooms. It need not be anything fancy,
just a cheap webcam connected to your home LAN.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

I know people who'd pay to watch a chicken roasting!

I might have a quick glimpse myself on voyeur view..

--
www.CamGirls.com $2/min

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

The Canadians would:

TORONTO 96% Canada already has a hypnotic Fireplace Channel on the local
airwaves each Christmas, where a yule log burns in a fireplace 24/7.

Turns out ambient TV is catching on here as Rogers Cable introduces a
digital TV channel with a constant loop of roasting chickens turning
on a spit.

The Media in Canada newspaper reports Rogers has teamed up with the
Swiss Chalet fast food chain to launch the all-chicken channel on Feb.
28 for digital TV subscribers as part of a major product placement
deal.

The mesmerizing Rotisserie Channel will feature two rows of finger-
licking good birds roasting in an open-flame oven, with crackling fire
sound effects in the background.

Read more: Canada Gets All-Chicken TV Channel 96% Hollywood Reporter |
Canada News

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

I was thinking of something more sophisticated to monitor the states of
the flame and thermostat light, and sound a klaxon audible three streets
away if there's a discrepancy.

Sylvia.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

You could just monitor the oven temperature with a wireless
thermometer.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

I'm still waiting for my bluetooth coffee cup. So I definitely agree
with Herman that the rate of innovation/renovation is slowing. Do the
purveyors of wireless gadgetry not understand that civilized people
don't want their food and drinks served at "about" the right
temperature? Let poor people scold their fingers on cups that are too
hot or suffer coffee that has been let cool too long.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

http://www.cafepress.com.au/+nice_bluetooth_douchebag_large_mug,489074163

 So I definitely agree

S C A L D.  Naughty burnt fingers, naughty.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

What the hell's this link for, Bradley? Are you one of those anti-
bluetooth weirdos? Bluetooth rocks, it would be in everything if I
were running the show!

You just weight until I can type with both hands again, Bradley,
you'll keep.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

I can't weight, I'm on a diet.

I like Bluetooth. Bluetooth makes everything better. But that said I
have to wonder about the people wandering the supermarket aisles and
still wearing their BT earpieces. Do they think they look cool, like
Uhura? Does it make them appear more important? Do they need to be
totally connected and always ready to answer that call? It might be
the Lotto people with good news I suppose. Why can't they just wait
for the phone to ring then put it on?

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

They're w8ing for Barbara Eden's voice to whisper in their ear, "Your
coffee is now at your preferred drinking temperature, master." But
it's not happening because THEY are not making bluetooth-equipped
coffee mugs, because THEY think THEY know there is no market for them,
but THEY ARE SO WRONG! (The earpieces are a bit trekkie-esque, I
agree, but there's more to bluetooth than those things.)

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

Most would recommend installing an electric oven, with a gas cook top. Chuck
it out and buy a new one.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work
Get a gas microwave for reliability.

Re: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

Just light your farts while holding your food in front.

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

BTW, I contacted the customer care centre for the brand (Westinghouse,
which is a division of Electrolux, apparently). I asked them whether
this was a known fault.

In reply they said "We are sorry to learn of the trouble you are
experiencing with your oven. As we are not technically trained we are
unable to advise why this fault is occurring. We can only suggest that a
technician inspects the unit."

They then outlined their technician fees, $95 call out, including 15
minutes of service time, and then $140 an hour in 15 minute increments.
Oh, plus parts, of course.

Gee, that's really supporting your product. Thanks for nothing.

Sylvia.

Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

of service time, and then $140 an hour in

At that price, they should provide parts for free. :-)

Cheers Don...

==============================

--
Don McKenzie

Dontronics Blog:     http://www.GodzillaSeaMonkey.com
Re: OT: Overly complicated technology that doesn't work

The same goes for instantaneous gas heaters - good thing the pilot light
has gone but one would think there would be a backup rechargeable
battery to ignite the gas in case of a blackout. Pretty simple
technology really. I modified our power supply that supplies the "wick"
to the bloody thing with a UPS in line.

Site Timeline