Just got one 5 min ago

An Indian just called me from Mendosa computing (not sure of the name
cause I could not understand the accent) but apparently they recon I
have something wrong with my computer,So I went looking for my cellphone
to use as a recording device but they hung up.I will have to rig up
something permanent to record the scammers. I am on the DNC register but
I still get more annoying calls than real ones.

Re: Just got one 5 min ago

Ask them which one of your linux machines is at fault

--

Re: Just got one 5 min ago

Re this problem ,any one know , does telstra keep records and times of
incoming calls to my house and the originator? is there some way to get
their cooperation in stopping the offender?

Re: Just got one 5 min ago

The offender is almost certainly in India, and is likely calling you via
Skype. So there is little to nothing the Telstra can do to protect you.

Sylvia.

Re: Just got one 5 min ago
It came in on the telephone handset so telstra so telstra must know at
least where the land line bit came from

Re: Just got one 5 min ago

"F Murtz"

** Got news for you  -  fuckwit.

The DNC register has no effect on telemarketing calls that originate outside
Australia  -  unless an Australian based business caused them to be made.

Just like any other country - our laws are limited in their effect to what
Australia can control.

.....  Phil

Re: Just got one 5 min ago

I know that the register does not stop it,Does not stop me whinging about it

Re: Just got one 5 min ago
They have some control over the landing point locally for the skype call
  but don't hold your breath

--

Re: Just got one 5 min ago

Used to be you had to ask for a 'recorder' be placed on your line to see where
nuisance calls come from.  These days with multiple suppliers?  Dunno.

DNC wont (can't) stop them as calls hit-run from overseas call centres,
just hang up.  Or swear at the caller if that helps you let of steam ;)

In the real world the closest anybody gets to reporting a bad machine is to
the upstream ISP, that's all they can tell from your IP address.

Grant.

Re: Just got one 5 min ago

Awww, c'mon. String the PC virus ones along for a while. I had one on
the phone for 20 minutes or so. Each time he asked me to click on
something I'd pretend I had and tell him that it was giving me an error
message. He got really frustrated in the end. Now that's funny.

Re: Just got one 5 min ago

If you give them control of your PC (don't try this at home), they
eventually make it invoke a payment page, for you to enter your details
into. After I got a few such calls, I set up some sofware so that I
could make their attempts to invoke the payment page go to the wrong
place, which would no doubt confuse them considerably. Sadly, the one
subsequent call I got from them occurred at a time when I had to go out,
and couldn't play.

Sylvia.

Re: Just got one 5 min ago

Had one too, about 10 min ago.   A real call came on the mobile
though, so I had to leave him.

Site Timeline