why not just say I2C?

I am currently working with a range of peripherals whos control lines look remarkably like an I2C interface.

The data sheets go into great detail about how the data and clock line are used to communicate with the device and how it has an own 'address' so that you can differentiate it from other devices etc.......

Why not just say that it's an I2C comptable device FFS.

Do they have to pay Philips some extra money for admitting that it's I2C rather than pretending that it is something else?

(and is it really still in patent after 20 years?)

sorry rant over.

tim

Reply to
tim

Just call it SPI like everybody else. It's probably more of a trademark than a patent issue in the same way you can't call your latest vacuum cleaner a Hoover. Peter

Reply to
peterk

Because I2C and SPI aren't very similar at all?

-- Grant Edwards grante Yow! I'LL get it!! It's at probably a FEW of my visi.com ITALIAN GIRL-FRIENDS!!

Reply to
Grant Edwards

SPI is not I2C. SPI is to "three-wire interface" as I2C is to "two wire interface". Or to put it another way, SPI is to Motorola as I2C is to Philips.

Also, note that "I2C-like" peripherals are in no way guaranteed to be FULLY I2C compatible.

Reply to
larwe

I think you mean "two wire".

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Oops, of course you are right, it's TWI. I should put my brain into gear before writing. Peter

Reply to
peterk

Well, yes, they DO have to pay Philips if they use the term "I2C" or "IIC". In exchange, Philips grants them a unique device identifier for their product.

It's also a trademark.

--Gene

Reply to
Gene S. Berkowitz

Not always - only if it is a new type of device - e.g. all eeproms have the same address prefix.

Reply to
Mike Harrison

Last I heard, I2C was a registered trademark and you had to pay Philips for using it. There's a lot of these shenanegans being played - OneWire, SPI, I2C etc. I think that manufacturers have tried to play by the rules and still let you know what they mean - Atmel uses the TWI - Two wire interface that can be used with I2C

But you're right - it is annoying

Tom

tim wrote:

Reply to
surftom

skrev i meddelandet news: snipped-for-privacy@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...

Yes, you should ask Philips to adopt the TWI so we can have one standard :-)

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson   ulf@a-t-m-e-l.com

stupid me for posting the day before I went on my Xmas leave but...

Ah ha, so the name is trademarked and you have to pay Philips to use it, but the invention is (probably) out of patent so you are free to use it in a design if you don't say so.

Ta

tim

Reply to
tim