I've had neough of Doof Doof

this is a desperate plea ....

i live next to the worst neighbours in the world

7 days a week they spark up doof doof music in their tin garage adjacent
to our boundry, usually this starts about midnight and stops when i
pound shit out of their shed about 1- 2 am.
I've tried asking them to have some respect and the response was turn it
up louder, i've tried the police, but it's not loud from the street, so
the police don't think it's a problem. a complaint to the council stops
them for a few weeks and then it starts again.

I don't mind the odd party, but 7 nights a week is a bit much, we can't
really hear the music .. more the thump of the bass coming thru the
whole house.

now i want to fight fire with fire (hate the pricks anyway)
what i'm after is some sort of high pitched sound generator which is
painfull to the ears, but not loud. would prefer something which is
directional, so not to annoy the other neighbours.

I'm not savvy with electronics, but have built the odd dick smith kit
etc without a problem.

Does anybody know where i could find info on making such a thing or have
a better suggestion.

at the moment i've taken to parking the open sulo bin with dog shit
under the shed air con to make life a bit more enjoyable :)

Re: I've had neough of Doof Doof

I'm not sure there is a viable electronic solution.

What sort of aircon is it? If you are sure it sucks air from outside, let a
few litres of water stew in the bottom of your nugget bin for a week or two.
Drain it off into a squirt bottle - you should be able to get a couple of
metres range, into the air inlet.

If they are up late doof doofing, perhaps you should mow your lawn 1st thing
the next morning & interrupt their sleep-in.

If it's a rental try the landlord or managing agency.

Re: I've had neough of Doof Doof

Thanks for the replies all, i'll come up with something to annoy em :)

was thinking of sticking one of those dummy security cameras under my
eave pointing their way a bit, if they question it, i'll say i am
gathering information :) that should make them paranoid.
as long as it's pointing along the side of my house i can say it's home
security if they complain to the cops or something.

I do have a motor driven siren here, might dig up a car battery and
spark that up when they start, only problem is i don't want to annoy the
kids, guess i'll have to send the missus and kids away to visit the
rellies.

Their air-con nearlly hangs over our fence, so the bin is sitting just
under it. no need to have any range. guess i might just happen to lean
some tin against the bin as well, that should force the air-con to draw
the majority of air from across the bin.

Might do some searches on the net for stink bombs, a slow release one in
the bin would be great :)

but i think the best result is if i just double the complaints to the
cops and council.

Re: I've had neough of Doof Doof

Out of pure boredom just had a look around - forget getting a recipe off the
net.
Every one I've come across looks like it was written by an 8 year old with
absolutely NFI about chemistry or common sense - one dictates a chlorine
bomb with eggs for smell. "Leave in a warm place for five days then throw
through a window where it will explode and coat the walls with rotten egg!"
etc.

Most of the ones I've seen are modified "Anarchists' Cookbook" recipes,
quite likely to kill you and/or explode in your face. Might be better off
visiting a magic store, they tend to have some fantastic stink capsules,
much like blood capsules. Designed for throwing, not eating tho ;)

-mark

Re: I've had neough of Doof Doof

Further to that, have you had a look at the Jaycar 'Tweetie Pie' screamers?
Got one of the white ones, connected to any 12vdc source in any room of the
house is easily loud enough to wake the entire household. Very high pitched,
very disturbing.

Perhaps place one in close proximity to the air conditioner, around 7am if
they stay up all night - would make a fantastic wake-up call.

You could also try a canned air horn, marine type. Just make sure you're not
going to alienate other neighbours using this technique.

Had a similar problem across the road from my place, three 500w halogen
floods on the roof quickly sent the message across - shining straight into
all 3 bedroom windows of the joint.

Hard to sleep with that much light pouring through vertical blinds ;)

-mark

Re: I've had neough of Doof Doof

You need one of these:
http://www.victorysiren.com/x/index.htm

A victory siren will soon sort em out!.

Re: I've had neough of Doof Doof

Now that's impressive !!!!
But would it not be cheaper to bulldoze the garage with the stereo and the
offenders inside?

Cheers,
Alan

Re: I've had neough of Doof Doof

in message
the stereo and the
I dunno Alan, everyone here so far has missed the perfect
solution - "Give the culprits Phil Allison"!

Cheers Terry

Re: I've had neough of Doof Doof

Oh no, not PA and the squeaky Quads !!!!
Personally I wouldn't wish PA on my worst enemy.
It would be very slow and painful torture indeed.

Cheers,
Alan

Re: I've had neough of Doof Doof

Is the doof doofing from a mains power supplied stereo? Can you can get to
their circuit breakers easily? if they are old type fuses, remove fuse wire
and replace. If they are circuit breakers, remove insides and replace.

Might not stop them forever but certainly an annoying option.

Cheers,
Andy S
http://www.swinndesign.com/ae /

Re: I've had neough of Doof Doof

Get 2 sonalerts and fire them up together. They rarely perfectly match in
frequency, causing them to resonate. The result causes headspins and
disorientation.

Re: I've had neough of Doof Doof

My sympathies.

Usually what happens.

Know the sound you mean. Your neighbours wouldn't happen to be
of a certain Mediterranean extraction would they?

I was aware of something like that having existed somewhere. A sort of
sound generator that generated sound above the frequency of humain
hearing but is painful to the ears nonetheless. Although I don't know if it
would put out the power to have the effect you're looking for.

I don't know if you could find such a thing in a kit form. More likely it
would be
some manufactured ultrasonic sound generating device.

Charles L

Re: I've had neough of Doof Doof

Hey I like the dog shit idea. :-)

I had the same problem with a neighbour.  I waited until the idiots went to
bed (presumably they did so after the doof doof stopped).  Turned on my own
HT system with the speakers switched off but the sub-woofer left on.  Set up
a good bassy CD on endless repeat of the same song, cranked up the volume
and left the house for an hour or so.

Even if the cops turn up, low frequency bass is very hard to determine
exactly where it's coming from so with all the lights out they just think no
one is home.  Also it couldn't have been you because you were out, right?
Just make sure the security video catches you having a burger and coffee at
your local Macca's so you have a nice alibi. :-)

Alternatively, wait until morning, open up the windows in their direction
and at the first legal opportunity to crank it up, do so.  Very effective if
they like to sleep in and / or have a hangover.  Sweet.  :-)  Works for me.

Re: I've had neough of Doof Doof

Abalone guts would be more pungent. :)

Re: I've had neough of Doof Doof

On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 09:23:23 +1000, Ghost in the machine

Some of those fertilisers you get at the local hardware/garden store
are pretty good too. nothing like a squirt of 'blood n bone' in the AC

Re: I've had neough of Doof Doof

try out phasing them.

set up an old amp and a pair of big speakers or a powered sub , stick a
mic near to where the sound is comming from, hook the speakers up
backwards and turn it up. what should happen is there bass noise will be
picked up by the mic sent to the speakers but in revers, so, when a bass
note hits, your speakers will fire in the revers direction taking the
power out of the bass note leaving them with a hollow bassless sound.

play around with the inversion and you can make a bass frequs phase in
and out, it is mentally disterbing to the would be doof doof listener
and they should quit out of desperation, else, if they are listening to
a tuner (radio) , use a FM bug or transmitter and kill there desired
frequency

Re: I've had neough of Doof Doof

Ideas...and funny....
A Uncle of mine used to give several delinquents at St Peters a bit of curry
because of their antics. Their revenge was to get old crumble dog doo,
powder it and pour this down the air vents in front of the windscreen in his
EH holden.
The inside of the car would become an instant fog of  dog poo powder when
the flow-through ventilation was turned on on a hot day. Instant snow man
look.

Re: I've had neough of Doof Doof

Wow that's hilariously nasty.

Re: I've had neough of Doof Doof

howabout this one: use a thin, flat-bladed butter knife to peel back the
door window rubber on their car. slip a few raw oysters inside.

very few people dismantle their door panels when the car stinks.

Of course its not that bad in winter, but summer is rapidly approaching.

You could try pumping CO into the AC, that'd permanently fix them.

Cheers
Terry

Re: I've had neough of Doof Doof

   My dad worked in a corrugated box plant when i was a kid. All of the
inks they used, except the green came in a thick liquid form.  The
powdered green ink was an extremely fine powder that some of his co
workers liked to toss into the huge fans they used to cool the plant in
the summer time. If you got hit with it you looked like the "Incredible
Hulk" for a few weeks, till the top layer or two of your skin wore off.
It wouldn't wash out of their clothes, either.  They finally had to
build a separate store room for their inks to stop the morons from
wasting ink and causing problems.

--
?

Michael A. Terrell