house light fuse 8amp blowing - Page 2

Re: house light fuse 8amp blowing
(active neutral + earth to every lighting point or
intermediate switching when a twin strap went between
circumstances.
I was not discussing what is legal,I was discussing common practice.
Economically they did not take wires where they were not needed.
The discussion was about fault finding and the place to isolate further
down the line is at the lighting fixture  as most of the connections are
done there. Single switches usually have only two wires. Most fuse
blowing faults are at the fixtures.

In the days of split conduit,cabling was a bit different as single wires
were used and cables went direct to where they were going ie less
connections.

Re: house light fuse 8amp blowing

(active neutral + earth to every lighting point or
intermediate switching when a twin strap went between
circumstances.

The quoted source was (is?) widely used as a textbook for the Electrical
Trades. I provided it to indicate the common practise as electricians
are taught to do.
I assume the installation was done legally, are you suggesting the faulty
installation was not compliant ?

They still should have complied with the rules.

the line is at the lighting fixture  as most of the
fuse blowing faults are at the fixtures.

As in 1), 4) and 5) above,

used and cables went direct to where they were going

That is case 5), the system is called surface conduit because that's
how it is most often mounted (not inside walls etc.). Single wires
are usually used. It is all explained in the quoted source, Pethebridge
&  Williams.

Re: house light fuse 8amp blowing

The rules change.

Sylvia.

Re: house light fuse 8amp blowing

No one said they did not comply with the rules

I think mr fritz lives in another country and has no first hand
knowledge of australian household electrical wiring

Re: house light fuse 8amp blowing

australian household electrical wiring

Wrong
I do live in another country now but lived in Australia for 44 years.
I also have a copy of Australian Electrical Wiring - Theory and
Practice, which I obtained while doing an Electrical Trades
course as a supplement to an Electrical Engineering degree.

Re: house light fuse 8amp blowing
(active neutral + earth to every lighting point or
intermediate switching when a twin strap went between
circumstances.
Electricians do not make it a practice of doing everything the rule book
allows.
every thing in the rule book is not necessarily common practice the
rules are there to cover all sorts of eventualities not only common
practice

No

Did not say they did not
the line is at the lighting fixture  as most of the
fuse blowing faults are at the fixtures.
used and cables went direct to where they were going
The conduit I was referring was an historical reference it was used in
and on walls sixty years ago and has not been used for over fifty years.

I think you are trying to teach your grandmother to suck eggs

This discussion was about trying to find a recent fault occurring in a
probably normal installation

Re: house light fuse 8amp blowing

Believe it or not, I was an electrical contractor in 1964, however I know things
have changed somewhat since then, but
I'll give it my best shot.

You can unscrew a switch or two, to determine if it is just actives that drop
down from the lights to the switches.

Someone suggested a plug in circuit breaker for the fuse holder. Great idea for
chasing this fault. I have them fitted
anyway. Who wants to keep changing a fuse wire in this day and age?

Now what you do is section isolate:
-----------------------------------
If the active-neutral pairs run from the switchboard to each lighting position
in turn, you draw yourself a map of how
you would run it to save cable, if you were wiring it. This will be wrong of
course, but it will be a guide to get started.

At the half way point in the cable run, unscrew the light fitting, and separate
the wires. If the fault vanishes, then
you have half your house wiring working, and you know the problem is in the
second half. If not, split it in half again,
until you do get it working. If you are getting early results, you can redraw
the cable map.

If you are not confident enough to do this, then I strongly suggest you get a
sparkie in. Getting the right sparkie may
be the secret. :-)

Me, I got too old to wobble around on a ladder, and I couldn't see what I was
doing anyway, so I would be looking for a
good sparkie.

Good luck with it.

Cheers Don...

=================

--
Don McKenzie

Re: house light fuse 8amp blowing

I had this problem a few years ago, the lights would intermittently blow
the fuse. Called a sparky in, but he was useless, he knew how to put
wiring in but had no idea about fault finding. I knew that the house had
been extended, and where the lighting for the new section tapped into
the main part, so I split it there. That fixed the problem, so I started
splitting the wires that ran from that point.

Eventually, I tracked it down to one cable which ran through the roof
under some floorboards that the previous owner had put in to make it a
storage area. Pulled up a floorboard and lo and behold lots of little
white creatures running about, the termites had come up through the wall
on the surface of the studs right into the roof without causing any
damage and then eaten through the lighting cable.

The exterminator guy told me that this is not unusual, termites seem to
like PVC cable. I'm glad they did otherwise they could have eaten the
place out before we knew they were there.

Re: house light fuse 8amp blowing

I would go along with that. Had a similar case where the little workers
had found a cable to a switch in their way, they just kept coming at it.
As one died another stepped up, it was only detected since the owner
complained that the switch wouldn't turn off the light. They had
stripped a couple of inches of the cables and were somewhat agro when
exposed to the sunlight :-) It was a potential fire hazard, probably
would have been blamed on faulty wiring by one of us useless sparkies !!

Rheilly P

Site Timeline