Is this a fuse?

It was in a variac, connecting the wiper to its terminal. It had a connector tab on each end & was inside the sleeve. It's lead colored, but much stiffer than lead - zinc?. The variac is 20A resistive, 14A otherwise. It failed with a pop when an end connector came off.

I dunno what else it might be, but it was really inaccessible, underneath the terminal block - a terrible location for a fuse. And where would you get a replacement?

Bob Engelhardt

looks like termination/weld failed at say 15 amp , rather than the "fuse-link" which is intact, otherwise looks like automotive blade fuse in construction.

--
Monthly public talks on science topics, Hampshire , England
Reply to

I couldn't find anything similar, partly because you didn't supply the maker and model number of the variac.

The lead colored material is probably zinc steel. Try checking with a magnet.

Thanks for including a ruler in the photo. However, the photo is too small and fuzzy to use it to make measurements. My guess(tm) is that the fuse width is 1/16th inch. Since push on tab connectors were used, I measured a handy large tab connector at 0.033" thickness. Therefore, the cross sectional area is: 0.063 * 0.033 = 0.0021 sq-in = 2700 circular-mils Looking at a handy wire table:

2700 circular-mils is approximately the area of #16 AWG wire. Checking a fusing current table at: shows that #16 AWG will fuse at: Copper 117 Amps Aluminum 86.7 Amps Iron 36.0 Amps Tin 18.8 Amps My guess(tm) is iron at about 36A.

I doubt that you're going to find a replacement fuse. Find a piece of similar thickness tin plated steel at the local hobby shop. Something like this, but either thicker, or use 3 layers: If you can't find any, just take some sheet steel and solder plate it. For 0.033" 20 or 22 gauge looks about right:

Be sure to adjust the numbers for the actual measured dimensions.

Or, you could just replace it with an external 35A cartridge fuse.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature

It's a Ward Leonard (no model number) - yeah, I never heard of them either and I didn't find anything on the web. They did make variacs for theatrical lighting, so that's probably where this came from.

It's non magnetic. Following your powerstream lead, I'm guessing it's tin, or lead-tin.

The bridge measures .017 x .068 in; 1472 circ mils (.038 equiv diam)

AWG 18 is .0403 diam & tin fusing current is 13A. Which is considerably less than the 20A that the variac is rated for resistive.

Yeah, I put in a piece of 14ga copper & will use an external fuse. For now, I'll just rely on the 15A breaker that it's plugged into.

The confusing thing to me was how inconvenient this fuse's replacement was. The mounting block had to be removed (2 screws) & the fuse was held by another 2 screws, each with a sleeve, flat washer, lock washer, & nut. What were they thinking?

Thanks for your in-depth reply.

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

Something that shape will fuse at higher i than wire the same width due to heat conduction away from the hotspot. The shape improves the slow to fast fusing current ratio, but worsens the breaking capacity.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

Google finds plenty of hits on the company name, but none involving a variac. Probably parts of a system as you suggest.

Ok, it's not iron. It's also not 63/37, 60/40 or 50/50 Sn/Pb, also known as solder. I would guess 100% tin with the dull coloration that looks like lead be tinning, or some kind of corrosion.

I would expect the fuse to be rated at MORE than 20A. Also, a 0.017 in thick spade lug is rather flimsy and will probably make a lousy push on tab terminal. For 20A, it really should be thicker or the tab terminal will arc, loosen, and/or fall apart. Tin is easily soldered. I would therefore expect wires to be soldered to the tabs and not use push on terminals.

That will work. I would heavier wire to a fuse socket. However, I'm at a loss as to how to rate the fuse. My initial guess(tm) would be

20A or slightly larger to correspond to the stated rating. However, if the fuse were too large, the variac winding would probably blow before the fuse, which kinda defeats the purpose of having a fuse. Therefore, I would measure the variac copper wire diameter, calculate the fusing current from the Powerstream chart, and size the fuse to blow at LESS than wire fusing current.

My guess(tm) is if the fuse blew, the variac would be considered totalled and require a factory replacement. That fuse was obviously not intended for customer replacement. My conspiracy theory is that someone forgot to design a fuse into the original device, and had the variac winding blow up in the field. UL or the equivalent, probably wouldn't like Ward Leonard modifying the design without having the device recertified. Not wanting to go through that ordeal process again, WL installed a fuse where UL wouldn't see it and said nothing about the field failures.

Y'er welcome.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Jeff Liebermann

If it was made for stage lighting, the panel would have a fuse per fader (V ariac).

Stage crews would replace blown fuses with anything that would restore the lights, so a hidden fuse prevented a fire from an overloaded fader. The ear ly ones I used in high school and working on school equipment used Edison b ased screw in fuses. You would find 30A in place of 15 or 20A, and dead fad ers.

Reply to
Michael Terrell

Makes sense - thanks

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

It failed where the tabs were fixed to the body at right angles. It's hard to tell exactly, but it looks like a spot weld & not much of one at that. Pretty flakey & I'm glad to have it out of there.

That makes as much sense as anything.

Thanks again

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt