Re: PIONEER CLD-59 Laserdisc Player, FUSE constantly blowing up.

Kurtis, your name keeps coming up regarding old Pioneer Elite Laser Disc Players. I read your advice about cutting the lead for the Varactor diode on the power board of CLD-59 player. I have one of those and just tried to use it but found it wouldn't power on. Checked the onboard fuse which was blown. Removed the power board and unsoldered the Varactor Diode. Would like to know where to purchase a new diode and the specifics as to what I'm looking for (specs of the diode). The one I've removed is black with a yellow stripe on one end and has markings that say KIV 420. Suggestions would be much appreciated. I've gone to the Digikey web site but just don't know what I'm looking for. Also, any suggestions on where to purchase a replacement fuse? Thank you.

Hank

Reply to
Hank Bernbaum

I don't know if Kurtis is still reading the group, but in the absence of his expertise I'd suggest getting hold of the service manual, which should include a full list of components. As laserdisc players are long out of production and somewhat uncommon, it seems a wise investment to spend a few bucks on making sure you get it right (and it'll mean you're well prepared if it ever needs fixing again in future).

ServiceManuals.net claims to have it as a PDF download:

And StereoManuals.com has a reasonably-priced printed version:
The fuse is likely to be readily available from any good component supplier. Measure its dimensions and check the metal end caps for identification markings. If there aren't any, the service manual will probably tell you what it should be. Get a spare while you're at it, just in case it happens again (but if the fuse blows again almost immediately, don't keep replacing it without checking for additional problems with either the power source or the player itself).

Good luck!

Rayner Lucas

After TWENTY THREE YEARS?!? Ya think?!?

Reply to