CFLs Compulsory for All ?? - Page 2

Re: CFLs Compulsory for All ??

water.

Why do you think these two statements are contradictory?
Recycled water simply costs more to produce.

MrT.

Re: CFLs Compulsory for All ??

Yeah but caouse they is stupid they dont know dey stupid, man!!

Re: CFLs Compulsory for All ??

  There was a company at an eco show I went

6 or 8 lights (2 diff low wattages) and the water saving head.

Apparently we are signed up with them for greenhouse.

Re: CFLs Compulsory for All ??

They are.

Knock on the door,
waffle.
"what time tomorrow?"

No luck as I had them already installed.

Didn't get down towhich gov it was.

So, buy a pack of incandescents for when they knock on your door {:-).

I've had 3 offers of free cfls so far. 2 lots of 5 and 1 total. One
neighbour had 22 lights changed (and conned a few spare).

Will have to see if that includes the garage? {:-).

Re: CFLs Compulsory for All ??

As they age (tube starts to blacken at the ends) they can start to
emit IR radiation, this can play havoc with IR remote controls on
equipment.

Re: CFLs Compulsory for All ??

Any reliable links to total life energy comparisons between
the 2 technologies? You're gonna get plenty of doubters
otherwise.

Also, my first thought was that technology and market forces
would solve the technological shortcomings of CFL's. But then
I realised that would no way happen for just the tiny
Australian market...

Re: CFLs Compulsory for All ??

"Geoff C"

** Only a real world survey of actual CFLs in actual use could ever reach a
correct conclusion  -  hypothetical math exercises are all purest bollocks
!!!

CFLs do not last their claimed service lives, in most cases.

CFLs lose light output during their life  -  unlike incandescent lamps.

CFLs do NOT generate the equivalent light output of the incandescent lamp
size printed on their packets  -  says " Guide only - actual light output
not equivalent " on the Philips Genie pack.

Disposing of circa 50 of million of them each year would be a  MAJOR
environmental pollution problem -  safely disposing of fluoro tubes is a big
enough one right now.

The CFLs we have here are not PFC, not " lead free " and have poisonous
materials in them ( ie mercury).

( The humble incandescent lamp is inherently PFC, has no poisonous materials
and hence is not a pollution problem. )

PLUS !!!!

The  ONUS  is on the makers of CFLs and those promoting the idea that we
must use them where ever possible to PROVE there is a significant overall
social benefit to be had.

They have had years to do this already.

The silence is deafening.

.......   Phil

Re: CFLs Compulsory for All ??

**IME, the Philips meet their claim. I checked mine with a light meter. 23
Watt = 125 Watt incandescent. I found the lifespan of the 125 Watters to be
abysmal. 3 months, at best. The 23 Watters have been running for 2 years and
still going strong. I agree that lower Wattage lamps are probably better
with incandescent. At higher powers, CFLs rule. I even replaced some PAR23s
with CFLs. Superb, but a long warmup is a PITA. These are branded Nelson and
have a crap colour temperature.

**Every incandescent I have has lead in it. Lots. As much as fifty or sixty
soldered joints.

--
Trevor Wilson
www.rageaudio.com.au