cfl's - Page 3

Re: cfl's

They all do, because normal glass filters UV.

Even sillier.

They reduce the intensity of the light getting into the eyes.

Re: cfl's

Wrong as always.
average glass blocks UVB. But, cfl's emit both UVA & UVB.

Wrong as always.
average glass blocks UVB. But, cfl's emit both UVA & UVB.

Re: cfl's

**Bollocks to all the above.

I just replaced my first two CFLs. They were in use for more than 10
years each @ around 4 hours per day each. The total amount of mercury
released by all the extra coal burned exceeds the amount of mercury in
each lamp by a very considerable amount. CO2 reduction, using CFLs is
substantial.

I've lived in my present home for 7 years. I have more than 20 CFLs, a
handful of regular incandescents, 20-odd halogens (presently being
replaced by LEDs) and a 13 linear fluoros. In that time, I've replaced
two CFLs (which had I transferred from my previous home - these are both
very high use lamps), 6 incandescents (which see around 20 hours/year
operation), 4 linear fluoros and 15 halogens (which see less than 20
hours/year operation.

UV radiation is substantially blocked by regular glass.

http://www.arpansa.gov.au/RadiationProtection/Factsheets/is_cfl.cfm

Get your information straight before you post.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: cfl's

I suppose CFLs will be relaced by LEDs as the preferred home lighting in
the not-too-distant future, when they drop in price.

--
Lifelong resident of Adelaide, South Australia

Re: cfl's

**They already are. I'm replacing all my halogens with LEDs. There's a
drop in light output, but there's a huge number of them, so the total
light available is plenty. The power savings are massive. I replaced 300
Watts of halogens with 30 Watts of LEDs (electronic transformers). As
the CFLs fail, they'll be replaced with LEDs as well.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: cfl's

Keep the receipts for the LED lamps. When they were very new on the market I
bought four BC globe type Osrams as an experiment. One failed within a few
weeks but Bunnings replaced it willingly when I showed them the dated proof
of purchase. The other three plus the replacement are still going strong
after three years. Very satisfactory experiment. No warm up time like a cfl
and nice light quality. Mine at least also have a slight afterglow for a few
minutes after switching off which is handy for finding the bed after
switching off the main bedroom light.
As the LED technology matures I think that the cfl might be the vcr of the
lighting world. Brief moment of glory but consigned to the dustbin of
history when better technology comes along.
PH

Re: cfl's
On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 14:19:20 +1000, "Peter Howard"

And good riddance to them.

Re: cfl's
On Wed, 28 Aug 2013 14:19:20 +1000, "Peter Howard"

Good advice I bought 4 fom Aldi 3 weeks ago strong but even at $10 a
piece not good value, take years to get my $10 back. Aldi would of
replaced it but couldn't be bothered, I buy $2,  18 watt fluro's which
work well
--
Petzl
http://www.aec.gov.au/election/pva/

I buy $2,  18 watt fluro's which

you know those are halal don't you?

Re: cfl's

It can't happen soon enough

rgds,

Pete
Re: cfl's

"felix_unger"

** Don't hold you breath waiting for LED bulbs to overtake CFLs.

There are a number of major technical problems that make it near impossible
to produce * genuine equivalents * to CFL or fluoro tubes with a LED
rray  -  let alone beat them.

LED efficiency is one, colour quality another and LEDs intolerance to heat a
third.

 ...  Phil

Re: cfl's

and according to you that will be in 10 years time.. :)

--
rgds,

Pete
Re: cfl's

**Quite likely. Efficiency of LEDs and CFLs is similar.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: cfl's

Right, the price should be competitive by then. Hopefully a little less.

Trevor.

Re: cfl's

I wish my CFL's had the same longevity as yours Trevor.

I've replaced probably 6 or 8 so far. Some went bang & smoked, some went
phut & went black, some just stopped working. They were mainly Ikea
sourced CFLs. I'm now only installing Philips branded units - fingers
crossed.

Out of interest does anyone actually like the yellow output of the "warm
white" CFL's? I find the "cool white" much more pleasant for both work
areas & the lounge etc.

Re: cfl's

I can't stand the cool colour temps, especially with CFLs... I always
go for the warm ones.

Re: cfl's

Wow - I hate the warm ones that much I didn't think anyone would like
them! Different stroke I guess!

Re: cfl's

Heh... yep, each to their own :)

Re: cfl's

That's why they make different color temp versions, and have done with
normal tubes before CFL's even existed.
My preference is by far for quad phospur long tubes. They put out a better
spread of light for the same energy, and a bettter spectrum spread as well.

Trevor.

Re: cfl's

True, I have a pair of quads in the kitchen, and also a down light
with a 4.5W LED, which is on most of the time in the evenings.

Site Timeline