cfl's

Yes. they do, whether it gets out enough to damage our skin, etc is another story. That would depend on the quality of the bulb and the age.

Reply to
Damian

I'm not aware of anybody mandating it. I believe it's a choice, so far.

The ones I buy dirt cheap from warehouses do last lot longer than that.

They cost more, dunno about heaps more. Depends where you buy it and how smart shopper you are.

Reply to
Damian

"Damian"

** GLS bulbs ( that do not met MEPS) were taken off sale several years ago - it is now a punishable offence to sell them.
** Only for those with a stash of such bulbs OR are using the still legal halogen kind.

Which is a hoot since they have little of no efficiency advantage.

Eg like these:

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

That is where I got some but our favourite wollies no longer sells them, Woolies brand that is, too many claims for them not lasting I would say. Had to take one back that died an early death and anoth died the other week. SWMBO prefers incandescants.

Reply to
SG1

No they don?t. UV doesn?t get thru glass.

Nope, because UV doesn?t get thru glass.

Reply to
Rod Speed

It was mandated anyway.

You're wrong, as always.

I get them for free and they last fine. Haven't had to replace any of them.

Nope, mine didn?t. Didn?t cost a cent.

In spades when you get them for free.

Reply to
Rod Speed

"Rod Speed"

** I wonder how they make "black light " fluoro tubes then ?

Are the tubes made from quartz glass ?

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

"felix_unger"

** Don't hold you breath waiting for LED bulbs to overtake CFLs.

There are a number of major technical problems that make it near impossible to produce * genuine equivalents * to CFL or fluoro tubes with a LED rray - let alone beat them.

LED efficiency is one, colour quality another and LEDs intolerance to heat a third.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

I was buying Philips brand in Woolies. But since you have a SWMBO, the point seems moot.

Sylvia.

Reply to
Sylvia Else

True, I have a pair of quads in the kitchen, and also a down light with a 4.5W LED, which is on most of the time in the evenings.

Reply to
Jeßus

**More bollocks. I have a 100 Watt LED here right now. It is (measurably and visibly) brighter than a 500 Watt halogen floodlight. LEDs head lamps are now common-place amongst some automobiles.

So much for your "desklamp" bullshit.

Do some research, before you post more of your nonsense.

Refs:

Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

That must be why solariums are not dangerous then..

--
rgds,

Pete
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix_unger

everybody used CRT monitors. there was no other choice until LCD's came on the market

--
rgds,

Pete
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix_unger

and how much did you pay for it?

--
rgds,

Pete
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
felix_unger

**Points:

  • A typical tanning bed uses 24 X 100 Watt fluoros.

  • The lamps used employ a phosphor which is SPECIFICALLY designed to produce UV radiation.
  • The person using the bed is often within 100mm of the lamps (don't forget that pesky inverse square law applies with UV radiation)

Stop grasping at straws. Your ignorant claims have been demolished. Shut the f*ck up.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

** The mercury vapour discharge inside any fluro produces little else.
** Invese square law ONLY applies to a point source of light.
** Wot - like you are ?

FYI Fluoros used for UV light uses special glass like quartz.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

**Indeed. As a 60s-70s guy I used UV tubes quite a bit at parties (as I'm sure you did). Those (so-called 'black light') tubes did use a special glass. Unlike the moron I responded to, I did a little rudimentary research into tanning beds. The fluoro types use a phosphor coated tube, in which the phosphors are specifically designed to produce UV-A and UV-B. I don't know if they use special glass or not, though it seems likely that they do, given the attenuation of UV through regular glass.
--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au
Reply to
Trevor Wilson

Right, and how many died from them? CFL's are far less dangerous.

Trevor.

Reply to
Trevor

UV does pass thru glass

you STFU (egotistical twit!)

Reply to
felix_unger

**Considerably attenuated.

**I'm not the one making the stupid claims.

The appropriate response from you should be to acknowledge your considerable errors, rather than continuing to back yourself into a corner.

You're wrong. Admit it and move on.