What info must be provided ordering a PCB?

Why don't you post your best list so far and ask people to add to it or comment on it?

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

The minimum will be the Gerber files for each copper layer and a drill file. If you want silk screen and solder mask, you will have to supply those, as well, for top and bottom, if you have components on both sides.

Don't forget to include a board outline on the Gerber files, and don't include the drill holes.

Leon

Reply to
Leon

Minimum:

A bit more detail is required by these folks:

What they really need to know:

(A mark of a good vendor is a Quote Request form at least this specific.) . ..
If you don't know what all the terms on this page mean, now would be a good time to find out.

Reply to
JeffM

Hello, everybody! I wander if someone can help me to arrange with a PCB design departament what info must be provided when you order to design a PCB? (a link to a site,containing such info, would be great). The list of data inquired by PCB designers can not be too large, in my opinion. Otherwise, nothing will be left to do for them.:-) The point is that all people have different opinions and I wanted to refer to opinion of experineced members of this conference. Thanks.

Reply to
Slav Mit.

Are you talking about someone else doing the actual PCB layout or about someone making PCBs from your own layout?

Ian

Reply to
Ian Bell

If you are asking about a list for someone to perform the layout tasks of your PCB:

You always need to supply this information:

  1. Your contact information. If your in a hurry, contact info when your at home and play.
  2. Net list file compatible with their PCB layout program.
  3. Schematic. A PDF format with searchable text is a wonderful thing.
  4. Data sheets all parts. PDF files work great for this.
  5. Mechanical considerations (board outline, board thickness, special cutouts, where circuitry should go, connector placement, ...)
  6. Information you need on the board (legend, logo, part number, ...)

Other information could be: High-speed routes (differential, impedance, ...) Current handling EMI/RFI specs Shielding Smallest acceptable routing dimensions Smallest via size Blind/burried vias Board material Copper thickness Cost considerations Agency specifications (CSA, UL, CE, ...) ???

The above is sort of a basic list that comes to mind. There are many other things you could add to this list depending on your design. If you don't give enough information, expect to be bothered often or have a board that doesn't meet your expectations. You need to review the progress on a daily basis so you can catch problems early.

--
Mark
Reply to

Thanks, everybody! It is really useful information and I will use it in my work. But! (sorry for my broken English) I actually was wondering about "input" information. I.e.if I am a PCB designer: what info I should demand from a schematic designer? Like this list:(example)

1.Schematic in Capture CIS with components from a CIS database. 2.If some components are not in my CIS , I need datasheets for the components. 3.I need drawing for the PCB, i.e. placement of connectors , modules, etc.(With dimentions) or IDF file, containing the information. 4.I prefere constraints (line impedance, diff pair properties, time delay...) included into the schematic in properties of nets. The same information may be in a spreadsheet format. 5.Info about materials used for the PCB. (FR4, Rogers...) 6.Temperature range. 7...
  1. May be my customer (schematic designer) must choose a class of PCB (min clearence, min drill and min thickness of trace) - it willl change the price of the board manufacturing. Well, what else should I demand? Thank in advance for help. I think many of us face the same question from time to time..
Reply to
Slav Mit.

  1. Mounting holes
  2. Are any mounting holes plated for grounding?
  3. Test points
  4. Preferred pin one orientation of connectors.
  5. Keep out areas and maximum height areas.
  6. Part number and company logo
  7. # 8 is more between you and the board manufacturer.

I would also suggest that you get familiar with the board manufacturer and assembler. They will have some requirements too.

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Reply to
Boris Mohar

Thanks, everybody. It will help me a lot. Best Regards. Slav.

Reply to
Slav Mit.

JeffM That was a very good post. It is a bit too oriented toward production PCB's. There are many more options: the minimum set is outline of board with all connectors identified, a full netlist, and a complete parts list (outlines can be derived therefrom).

This is also the maximum cost end of the spectrum and the resulting board might very well not work strictly due to layout issues (that were not under your control). To the fool that tries this for anything more complex than trivial (just as easy to use nail polish and ferric chloride and hand drilling), you deserve what you get.

--
JosephKK
Reply to