cfl's

whoever conned the govt into mandating their use must be laughing all
the way to the bank. not only are they an environmental hazed, they are
simply not cost effective. they don't last 10 times longer than
conventional bulbs, or however many times it was supposed to be, and
they cost heaps more. they emit UV radiation too.

--
rgds,

Pete
Re: cfl's

The govt conned themselves...

Unlikely given that none of them are made here.

Bullshit.

Bullshit.

The best of them do.

Mine have been quite literally free.

Bullshit.

Re: cfl's

Yes. they do, whether it gets out enough to damage our skin, etc is another
story. That would depend on the quality of the bulb and the age.

Re: cfl's

No they don?t. UV doesn?t get thru glass.

Nope, because UV doesn?t get thru glass.

Re: cfl's

"Rod Speed"

** I wonder how they make "black light " fluoro tubes then ?

   Are the tubes made from quartz glass ?

....   Phil

Re: cfl's

That must be why solariums are not dangerous then..

--
rgds,

Pete
Re: cfl's

**Points:

* A typical tanning bed uses 24 X 100 Watt fluoros.
* The lamps used employ a phosphor which is SPECIFICALLY designed to
produce UV radiation.
* The person using the bed is often within 100mm of the lamps (don't
forget that pesky inverse square law applies with UV radiation)

Stop grasping at straws. Your ignorant claims have been demolished. Shut
the fuck up.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: cfl's

"Trevor Wilson"

** The mercury vapour discharge inside any fluro produces little else.

**  Invese square law ONLY applies to a point source of light.

** Wot  -  like you are ?

FYI  Fluoros used for UV light uses special glass like quartz.

...   Phil

Re: cfl's

**Indeed. As a 60s-70s guy I used UV tubes quite a bit at parties (as
I'm sure you did). Those (so-called 'black light') tubes did use a
special glass. Unlike the moron I responded to, I did a little
rudimentary research into tanning beds. The fluoro types use a phosphor
coated tube, in which the phosphors are specifically designed to produce
UV-A and UV-B. I don't know if they use special glass or not, though it
seems likely that they do, given the attenuation of UV through regular
glass.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: cfl's

UV does pass thru glass

you STFU (egotistical twit!)

Re: cfl's

**Considerably attenuated.

**I'm not the one making the stupid claims.

The appropriate response from you should be to acknowledge your
considerable errors, rather than continuing to back yourself into a corner.

You're wrong. Admit it and move on.

--
Trevor Wilson www.rageaudio.com.au

Re: cfl's

which goes thru the glass

about what? Rod made the claim that UV does not pass thru glass. pick on
him- or is he too much for you to handle?

Re: cfl's

"felix_unger"

FFS  -   "glass " is a whole class of materials  - not ONE material.

Ordinary "soda glass" heavily attenuates UV radiation.

But the tubes used in fluoro and CFL tubes are egg shell thin - so it is not
100%.

The tubes used in "bug zappers"  use quartz glass to eliminate this
attenuation.

In any case, bright  SUN on generates about 100 to 1000  times more UV that
any fluoro tube.

...  Phil

Re: cfl's

and window glass passes UV which is why curtains and carpets fade

so?

rgds,

Pete
Re: cfl's

"felix_unger"

** Wrong.

 The sun is relentless and has massive UV output.

** UV harm done to humans is from the sun, rather than fluoros  -  fuckhead.

   Wot a dumb cretin.

...  Phil

Re: cfl's

yes I know, and it passes thru window glass and fades carpet and drapes,
as I said. what is your problem?

I know  -  fuckhead

yes you are

Re: cfl's

Wrong, as always.

Wrong, as always.

Re: cfl's

Yes, but most of you 'black' guys can handle it. ;-)
It's mostly in Australia we should be worried about this UV sun thing. I
believe most of the habitable other areas of the world is ok.
I believe the darker your skin, the better protection you might have against
UV in under Australian sun.
I rarely hear aborigenes getting skin cancer, by that I meant the real
Aborigenes. Not the 5% Aborigenes.

Re: cfl's and BUNGARD pcb

The UV exposure index in Australia is no different to other parts of the world with
the same conditions (latitude, altitude, clouds etc.)
http://www.who.int/uv/intersunprogramme/activities/uv_index/en/index3.html
BTW We have all seen media beatups about the Antarctic ozone layer "hole",
suggesting that it massively increases UV in Australia and is to blame for skin cancer rates.
That is simply not true, as this link explains:
http://www.met.sjsu.edu/~cordero/ozone/MSIE_paper.pdf

That is true for any where in the world, not just Australia.
All fair skinned people are at increased risk if they move closer to the equator,
as happened when the Poms moved here.

The skin cancer mortality rate for aborigines is about a quarter of the non- aborigines.
But aborigines die much younger anyway.

On another topic, has anyone used BUNGARD photo-resist pcbs and what is a
cheap UV source to expose with? (Other than the Sun.) Aldi had a cheap UV steriliser
a few years ago which worked with UV EPROMs, but it's too small for PCBs
Anyone tried cold cathode UV tubes?

Re: cfl's

You're wrong, as always.

You're wrong, as always.

Because they all die of flagrant grog abuse and petrol
sniffing and hanging themselves and killing each
other LONG before they ever get any skin cancers.

Site Timeline