Akai Analog TV - Problem with Remote

I have an Akai TV (Model CT-2167AT) which I've had for 11 years. It's still
working 100% and I want to keep using it as I'm happy with it - furthermore
it was a gift from my parents. The only problem I have is that some buttons
on the remote are no longer working, and I'm pretty certain it can't be
properly fixed.

I've had it fixed one time in the past and it didn't work for long
afterwards. I could cope without the remote but the buttons on the TV are so
small that it's just to difficult to operate it without the remote. I tried
a couple of universal remotes but they didn't work. Can anybody suggest
something to fix this problem without changing the TV.

Regards - Paul

Re: Akai Analog TV - Problem with Remote
The usual reason remote buttons don't work is dirt, or deterioration of the
contacts. Opening and thoroughly cleaning the keys and contacts might work.

Two other points...

Have you contacted Akai or Sony? They might still have remotes. About six
months ago I found a company -- sorry, I can't remember the name -- that
buys up excess parts inventory -- and bought a rare remote control for a
rare JVC product. * Have you Googled the model number of the remote?

I'm not surprised the universal remotes didn't work. Many remotes have
incorrect or missing codes for necessary functions. For example, the 0 key
for replacement Toshiba remotes doesn't work! And good luck finding a
Toshiba replacement that includes such features as PIP, or even access to
the picture settings.

* It should be noted that most manufacturers blatantly ignore the Federal
laws that require them to stock replacement parts.

Re: Akai Analog TV - Problem with Remote
still
furthermore
buttons
so
tried

Have the buttons progressively failed , one by one , or a whole bank of say
5 buttons failed  in one go ?

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England
Re: Akai Analog TV - Problem with Remote

If all else fails, you might try the following web sites to locate a replacement
remote:
http://www.mrremotecontrols.com /
http://www.remotes.com /
http://www.remotes-express.com
http://www.newremotecontrol.com /

You might have to find a replacement by searching by the part number on the
remote instead of the TV model number.

Cheers...

==============

Dave M

Re: Akai Analog TV - Problem with Remote
Try "Speedy Spare" if new batteries did not fix the problem.

Re: Akai Analog TV - Problem with Remote
finger to keyboard and composed:

Go here ...

http://www.sarelektronik.com/katalog.asp

... and search for your brand and model.

My results are:

 Pilot                     1608Y
 Supertel/Protel/Minitel   227
 Easytel                   2331
 ST01                      205

The Pilot P1608 remote control is available from WES Components (sales
at wes dot net dot au) for AU$18.50 (trade) plus $6 postage. Just be
aware that these remotes may not have all the functions of the
original.

Another solution is to program a learning remote from your original.
However, you may need to dismantle your original remote and operate
the faulty keys with a good section of your rubber keypad.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Akai Analog TV - Problem with Remote

Odds are this set uses an ITT Nokia chassis . try using the universal
remote codes listed for those brands. you can pick up very cheap
universal remotes now, so it is worth a try before splashing out.

for repairing duff remotes, I do the following
-dismantle, using knife down side. remove pcb.
-half fill a basin with soapy warm-hot water, place upper shell and
rubber pad into it.
-using an old toothbrush, with soap on, clean the upper shell of the
remote and the rubber pad. there is usually grease which needs to be
fully removed from the crannies in the rubber pads.
-give the pcb a once-over with a baby wipe to remove grease.
-dry and reassemble

this has worked 90% of the time.
-B

Re: Akai Analog TV - Problem with Remote
On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 17:05:06 -0700 (PDT), b

You could also do a reverse search by typing 1608Y into the Pilot box
at ...

http://www.sarelektronik.com/katalog.asp?IDUG=1&UGAdi=Pilot

That brings up Luxor, Salora, ITT, Nokia, Universum, Schaublorenz,
etc.

- Franc Zabkar

Re: Akai Analog TV - Problem with Remote
Give richard a call at Television Replacements  03 9850-4144
he has a lot of old Akai remotes.He is Akai Agent.

Re: Akai Analog TV - Problem with Remote
Thanks for all the advice - It was invaluable - I did clean it and it is
working again - for how long we'll see - otherwise I will something else
later on. Thanks for the various contacts given.

Re: Akai Analog TV - Problem with Remote

If it fails again,then give it another clean and  use a Lead pencil and rub
it over the Carbon contacts on the Rubber membrane. It recoats them so they
make a good connection again..
Allan

Re: Akai Analog TV - Problem with Remote
 > I have an Akai TV (Model CT-2167AT) which I've had for 11 years.
It's still
 > working 100% and I want to keep using it as I'm happy with it -
furthermore
 > it was a gift from my parents. The only problem I have is that some
buttons
 > on the remote are no longer working, and I'm pretty certain it
can't be
 > properly fixed.
 >
 > I've had it fixed one time in the past and it didn't work for long
 > afterwards. I could cope without the remote but the buttons on the
TV are so
 > small that it's just to difficult to operate it without the remote.
I tried
 > a couple of universal remotes but they didn't work. Can anybody
suggest
 > something to fix this problem without changing the TV.
 >
 > Regards - Paul

I've had 2 Sony remotes dis-assembled in the past 6 weeks which had G-
d knows WHAT previously edible crap inside. I cleaned it all out with
soap and water, dried it thouroughly in a food dehydrator and both
work just fine again. I don't know what the wet slimy stuff was in
there or how it got _under_ the rubber sheet with the carbon pellets.

GB2%

Re: Akai Analog TV - Problem with Remote

I think it's generally grease from the pores in the skin on fingers-
you'd be surprised what we secrete thru the skin, and after 10+ years
it's bound to be noticeable. another theory is that something leeches
out the rubber.
-B

Site Timeline