Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

Just picked up on this very interesting message/thread from: sci.electronics.design

Cheers Don...

Intel rejects Vista, will stay with XP and wait for windows7

The source?

The nytimes:

In German heise:

Hey, The Inquirer mentioned Linux!

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap

Xbee Wireless Modules, and low cost Interface Boards.
http://www.dontronics-shop.com/xbee-boards.html
Reply to
Don McKenzie

If your a Corp with 80,000 puters, Installing Linux would be about as easy as Installing Vista. You will have the same basic problems.

Compatibility with existing hardware Re-Training existing Users

Unless you are prepared to replace every piece of Electronic gizmo's and gadgets, Software that connects to the PC, it would be pretty pointless.

I won't be holding my breath for Win7 either as being the saviour. Unless Intel develop Quantum Computers, I think it will be slower than Vista but it should be more compatible.

Reply to
son of a bitch

LInux generally is miles easier to swap into , unless the hardware like printers is very odd it just works

bugga all time at all involved as most of the commercial packages are available for several platforms

wrong , well configured nix without all the chat stuff and locked down to stop time wasting produces more work... fact

time will tell but it looks like the woinblows death grip is becoming much looser

Reply to
atec77

Pity there is still FAR more software applications available for Windows, than for Unix though. Of course if you just want email and office apps, or are prepared to write your own programs, then using WinBlows is a waste of money.

MrT.

Reply to
Mr.T

Apart from Printers being the Biggest Issue, older than 3 years will definitely be a problem. But in Biznes you might have Network Faxing Software, Networked Scanners direct to PC Software. Then there's the toys like Cameras,Webcams that some departments might use. I'm sure there are other computer gadgets specifically for Warehouse tracking, shipping and the like would also pose compatibility issues. And some departments you never even thought existed has some special software. And the Good thing (debatable sometimes) about XP, it will run most things back to Win98. Vista can't do that.

Multiple Platforms already exist in large companies, and you need rocks in your head to say yes thanks I'll have another.

Even Firefox has a Version on Linux and PC, they are very similar but not Identical.

Reply to
son of a bitch

Well, if people purchased printers that worked to standard formats, then there is bugger all problem with printers.

Exactly what is the problem? Linux will handle older software quite easily.

All doable under Linux. It was actually *nix that did all this first.

Toy are toys. Alwaysa good reason to makeit more difficult tocull un-authorised hardware.

Err, hint, lots of this crap is already running embedded *nix and is highly unlikely to run Vista anyway.

Lets not get carried away with another Y2K hardware replacement bonanxa here.

*nix has wine, and other MS emulation packages. >
Reply to
terryc

Lol, you really should start looking around.

*nix far outnumber MS offerings these days.

Exactly and that describes most office PCs; mail, and word processing.

Reply to
terryc

Actually there is not , unix has been around a long time but if you want a pretty slow gui then winblows wins hands down

correct

Reply to
atec77

wow you mean some graphic hag might be inconvenienced ? to bad so sad .

which ones as so far in my years in the industry I can count the prolems as being fewer than the bsods

nix can as well

MM nix and winblows and ?

sigh...

Reply to
atec77

Yes... Naturally, you know better than Intel does about it's own business.

--
"With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things
and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil
Steven Weinberg, quoted in The New York Times, April 20, 1999
Reply to
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Je=DFus?=

No... I can see the where the problem might be, If I worked for Intel I would still have the same concerns.

Somebody would have to convince me there is NO Hardware Compatibility Issues and Users do not need re-training to do the same job they did yesterday. Can you assure me?

Reply to
son of a bitch

I would like you to try and convince any Large Corp, they should abandon M$ Office and use either Star/Open Office. Even though it's 1/4 the cost of M$'s, I reckon you've got buckleys. And again, nobody wants to start retraining staff, or finding staff with Star Office skills already.

Reply to
son of a bitch

You have little real world corp experience it seems

Reply to
atec77

terryc wrote

looser

Fantasy.

You in spades.

Pure fantasy.

In spades with the more exotic stuff like PVRs etc.

Hardly anyone JUST does that.

Reply to
Rod Speed

Pity about the real world where the vast bulk of printers arent like that anymore.

Nice theory, pity about the real world.

Not with anything like as much choice as with Win.

Bare faced pig ignorant lie.

Only fools dont have them.

More mindless silly stuff.

Only in your pathetic little pig ignorant fantasyland.

Only in your pathetic little pig ignorant fantasyland.

None of which are anything like the real thing.

Reply to
Rod Speed

anymore.

Which is a good thing due to the added stability

Reply to
atec77

looser

You made a series of dodgy claims there woddles , now prove them

Reply to
atec77

I do and he is spot on.

Reply to
The Real Andy

Wrong.

I've worked for Banks, Telstra and Government that should qualify.

But back in the old days.... Trying to Convince Management to ween of Word Perfect,OS/2 It's wasn't until the "Under New Management" was hanging on those companies before they even thought about changing.

The Larger the company, the more heads are involved and change is very difficult.

Reply to
son of a bitch

I doubt that very much , if you take the care to google many companies overseas and here are dropping the billware and installing dedicated workstation software which heavily reduces time wasting

Reply to
atec77