Akai Analog TV - Problem with Remote

I have an Akai TV (Model CT-2167AT) which I've had for 11 years. It's still working 100% and I want to keep using it as I'm happy with it - furthermore it was a gift from my parents. The only problem I have is that some buttons on the remote are no longer working, and I'm pretty certain it can't be properly fixed.

I've had it fixed one time in the past and it didn't work for long afterwards. I could cope without the remote but the buttons on the TV are so small that it's just to difficult to operate it without the remote. I tried a couple of universal remotes but they didn't work. Can anybody suggest something to fix this problem without changing the TV.

Regards - Paul

Reply to
Robert

The usual reason remote buttons don't work is dirt, or deterioration of the contacts. Opening and thoroughly cleaning the keys and contacts might work.

Two other points...

Have you contacted Akai or Sony? They might still have remotes. About six months ago I found a company -- sorry, I can't remember the name -- that buys up excess parts inventory -- and bought a rare remote control for a rare JVC product. * Have you Googled the model number of the remote?

I'm not surprised the universal remotes didn't work. Many remotes have incorrect or missing codes for necessary functions. For example, the 0 key for replacement Toshiba remotes doesn't work! And good luck finding a Toshiba replacement that includes such features as PIP, or even access to the picture settings.

  • It should be noted that most manufacturers blatantly ignore the Federal laws that require them to stock replacement parts.
Reply to
William Sommerwerck

still

furthermore

buttons

so

tried

Have the buttons progressively failed , one by one , or a whole bank of say

5 buttons failed in one go ?

N_Cook

If all else fails, you might try the following web sites to locate a replacement remote:

You might have to find a replacement by searching by the part number on the remote instead of the TV model number.

Cheers...

==============

Dave M

Dave M

Try "Speedy Spare" if new batteries did not fix the problem.

Reply to
eltan

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 21:01:04 +1000, "Robert" put finger to keyboard and composed:

Go here ...

... and search for your brand and model.

My results are:

Pilot 1608Y Supertel/Protel/Minitel 227 Easytel 2331 ST01 205

The Pilot P1608 remote control is available from WES Components (sales at wes dot net dot au) for AU$18.50 (trade) plus $6 postage. Just be aware that these remotes may not have all the functions of the original.

Another solution is to program a learning remote from your original. However, you may need to dismantle your original remote and operate the faulty keys with a good section of your rubber keypad.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Odds are this set uses an ITT Nokia chassis . try using the universal remote codes listed for those brands. you can pick up very cheap universal remotes now, so it is worth a try before splashing out.

for repairing duff remotes, I do the following

-dismantle, using knife down side. remove pcb.

-half fill a basin with soapy warm-hot water, place upper shell and rubber pad into it.

-using an old toothbrush, with soap on, clean the upper shell of the remote and the rubber pad. there is usually grease which needs to be fully removed from the crannies in the rubber pads.

-give the pcb a once-over with a baby wipe to remove grease.

-dry and reassemble

this has worked 90% of the time.

-B

Give richard a call at Television Replacements 03 9850-4144 he has a lot of old Akai remotes.He is Akai Agent.

Reply to
Max Harding vk3jin

On Wed, 25 Jun 2008 17:05:06 -0700 (PDT), b put finger to keyboard and composed:

You could also do a reverse search by typing 1608Y into the Pilot box at ...

That brings up Luxor, Salora, ITT, Nokia, Universum, Schaublorenz, etc.

- Franc Zabkar

Franc Zabkar

Thanks for all the advice - It was invaluable - I did clean it and it is working again - for how long we'll see - otherwise I will something else later on. Thanks for the various contacts given.

Reply to
Robert

On Jun 25, 3:01=A0am, "Robert" wrote: > I have an Akai TV (Model CT-2167AT) which I've had for 11 years. It's still > working 100% and I want to keep using it as I'm happy with it - furthermore > it was a gift from my parents. The only problem I have is that some buttons > on the remote are no longer working, and I'm pretty certain it can't be > properly fixed. >

I've had 2 Sony remotes dis-assembled in the past 6 weeks which had G- d knows WHAT previously edible crap inside. I cleaned it all out with soap and water, dried it thouroughly in a food dehydrator and both work just fine again. I don't know what the wet slimy stuff was in there or how it got _under_ the rubber sheet with the carbon pellets.

G=B2

Reply to
stratus46

I think it's generally grease from the pores in the skin on fingers- you'd be surprised what we secrete thru the skin, and after 10+ years it's bound to be noticeable. another theory is that something leeches out the rubber.

-B

If it fails again,then give it another clean and use a Lead pencil and rub it over the Carbon contacts on the Rubber membrane. It recoats them so they make a good connection again.. Allan

Reply to
Allan