AA Batteries - Page 2

Re: AA Batteries

    I researched this a while ago. It's claimed that the Energizers are
rebadged Sanyos.
    There's a long user comment about them at
(Amazon.com product link shortened) and my
experience with them has been the same as the reviewer's.
    They're good for maybe 6 months after purchase, then the
self-discharge rate suddenly increases and keeps increasing until
they're unusable.

Bob

Re: AA Batteries

"Bob Parker"

 **  Interesting link.

 Lucky I steered clear of Energiser NiMH cells.

.....   Phil

Re: AA Batteries

(S4423P):http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4792b8d7061ec0ce2740c0a8 ...

Gotta be something amiss there, they look like an identical product.

S4423 - Charger by itself, $69.99
S4423P - Charger with bonus batteries "valued at $9.99", $94.98

So you're paying an extra $24.99 to get some "free" batteries that are
worth $9.99? :)

Re: AA Batteries

"rowan194"

**  Yep  -   someone screwed up the pricing all right.

....   Phil

Re: AA Batteries

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4791a8f2019429ea273fc0a87f9c074b/Product/View/S4423P

Thanks for the tip Phil, that looks pretty cool as the incar option would be
a bonus. Do you know though if these batteries outperform others or is there
little difference between various brands? I though it was possible to get
3000mAh batteries?

Regards,
Michael

Re: AA Batteries

"Michael C"
http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/4791a8f2019429ea273fc0a87f9c074b/Product/View/S4423P

 **  They do exist, but are not easy to find and may well suffer serious
drawbacks compared to the more common 2  & 2.5 Ah  types -  ie they are not
compatible with 1 hr fast charging.

Engineering is all about making trade offs and what makes the best trade off
for each particular application.

BTW

You may find good deals on NiMH cell / charger combos at Woollies and Coles
supermarkets and places like K-Mart too.

.......   Phil

Re: AA Batteries

I have seen the same ones (energised) at coles, I check the price next time
I'm there. The other thing I didn't think of was converting it to LED,
something I should investigate.

Michael

Re: AA Batteries

That was meant to be energizer, not energised. :-)

Michael

Re: AA Batteries

     FWIW, I've found that the Duracell 2650mAH NiMH AA cells they flog
at Woolies and Coles are very good. Their rate of self discharge seems
to be lower than the Energizer 2500mAH ones, and they cost the same.
     I've seen chargers for them around the place but didn't take much
notice. They might have been the kind which take ~15 hours to charge them.

Bob

Re: AA Batteries

One of the magazines available in the UK recently published plans to convert
a diving torch to LEDs, I think it may have been Elektor - try a search on
their website, if not it could have been Everyday Practical Electronics
(EPE).

Re: AA Batteries

A month or so ago Woolies had a charger & 4 x 2500mAH Engergisers for $20
(usual price $25).

I've been very happy with them, though the batteries get a little warm in
the charger and I don't know
if the cut-off works.

Just watch the mAH ratings on the batteries supplied - Duracell does a
similar deal but the 4 batteries
supplied in their chargers are less (1800 mA/H?) than those available
seperately (2650 mA/H).  A trap
if you don't read the writing!

Re: AA Batteries

Coles also usually carry a range of Energizer and Duracell chargers,
not sure of the price though. But all the ones I have seen there are
the 10-12hour "slow charge" type.

Dave.

Re: AA Batteries

"Peter Parker"

** Very likely the charger uses the rise in temp of the cells to trigger the
end of charge.

 Bout the only way to quick charge NiMH cells since the terminal voltage
does not peak nicely like NiCds do.

........  Phil

Re: AA Batteries

  Sure, dT works nicely (IMO the preferred way), however, I have yet to see a
typical charger (that you buy from your local KMart or such) do it this way.

  Temperature sensing is more difficult to handle, since you need to sense
each cell, and have it stay in the cradle and have a temperature sensor press
against it at the same time.

  What they do instead is use a modified dV dt method that turns off once the
voltage tapers off enough instead of waiting for it to go back down again.

  In fact, the only charger I've seen with temperature sensing is my portable
EPROM programmer.  But those cells are built-in, not free-floating AA's.

--
Linux Registered User # 302622
<http://counter.li.org

Re: AA Batteries

Also check Australia post, our local post office shop
had that same charger/battery combo pack there and Im sure it was only
about $60.

Re: AA Batteries

Thanks for all the replies. Looks like duracell are the go, I'll see what I
can find.

I was thinking my batteries were fairly new but when I think about it
they're at least 2 years old.