So, what's the story?

OK, yeah, I read it again. He was probably using algebraic entry, since he mentions it stays as the equation until he hits ->NUM, in which case he *would* have to enter the number twice.

--
roger ivie
rivie@ridgenet.net

Yet you did, just up there ^

Reply to
Rob Morley

You grumpy in here too

    PC Services
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Paul

On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 12:37:41 -0400, rickman declaimed the following:

Oh, I'm sure I could have entered once and duplicated it on the stack... I just haven't used the 50g enough to learn where everything is hidden (I spent close to $80 just to have the various PDF files converted to hard-copy).

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 15:45:48 -0500, Roger Ivie declaimed the following:

No... The HP50g has a mode where it tries to keep things like transcendental in symbolic mode as much as possible. Even

1 enter 3 :- give the result as

1 _

3

For some operations that is the recommended mode, rather than instant evaluation. {In truth, I tried to enter in algebraic, but couldn't find the secret key -- on my 48sx the ' key is easy, but all I found on the 50g is a " key}

Dennis Lee Bieber

On Sun, 22 Sep 2013 14:54:37 -0400, rickman declaimed the following:

Oh, it was reverse polish -- but the modes are set for symbolic results (some of my books recommend keeping it in that mode for some reason)

1.0 divide by 2.0 => 0.5 1 divide by 2 => 1/2

I did leave out the and keys (or left-shift and right-shift, as that is the position of the notation relative to the key itself)

Dennis Lee Bieber

No, just summarizing the Reg article and my thoughts on both from when I read that article last summer.

Reply to
Anssi Saari

Je suis somnolent y, I'm grumpy here, I'm dopey in t'other place.

--
nev
getting the wrong stick end since 1953

As the BBB supports the ARMv7 instruction set, Linux distributions for ARM usually work out of the box on the BBB, whereas you might need special support for the ARMv6-based Raspberry Pi (that's why raspbian is needed in the first place).

Christof

http://cmeerw.org                              sip:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
mailto:cmeerw at cmeerw.org                   xmpp:cmeerw at cmeerw.org
Reply to
Christof Meerwald

What unfounded assumptions? He has shown by his postings here to be arrogant and not listening to the many positive reponses he has had. And I can't imagine that there is more than one Bill Gunshannon at Scranton University. Try linkedin ...

Meh, the US military also come across as arrogant and not listening to the rest of the world.

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

--snip--

I had several ZX81s all assembled by Sinclair. None of them lasted more than a few weeks so got sent back for a refund.

--
(\__/)  M.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Mark

Whereas the ZX81 I bought assembled from Sinclair was definitely still working well into this century. Even the RAM pack was okay, if you wedged it into the right position. I was referring more to the kits for things like "hi-fi" amplifiers and radios the size of a matchbox. I've even still got a Sinclair Scientific calculator that worked last time I fed it a pair of batteries.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Reply to
John Williamson

I dissaprove of that . Computing/electronics is an exact science. The *nix piping method, or how a competent TV technician would diagnose a defective TV-set is applicable. He understands that it has N-stages; so if stage 7 is OK, he need not consider stage 5. Ie. it's not just a 'bag of considerations/check-list'. It's an ORDERED set of checks.

I came to computing via hardware: transistors, registers, SSI...etc. and wire-wrapped 8-bit uProc-prototypes in the 70s. Just off the top of my head: perhaps I would have 'burned a tight loop into the ROM' at the . Fairchild-F8 started at adr:zero.

So, perhaps: would restrict the adr-bus-bits to only the 2 LSBits stepping, on a good system. These days I don't have a scope. And perhaps modern component density makes my 70's methods inapplicable.

Are they tested before shipping? Are there user-available boot diagnostics built in? What about the LED/s? Making the hardware more open-source could be a plus-point for the claimed educational value of the project.

When my mate said he was ordering one, I ask him to order me 2 and a PSU, then I bought 2 PSU and ordered an extra rPi. When I collected the 3rd one, it didn't work.

I use the one every day, to listen to TextToSpeech run from a 6V lead-Acco, with a series diode [& elco]; I/V measurements show that it runs OK between 4.5 to 5.5 V.

Let's get some team-cooperation & solve this problem. IIRC I got the pdf [schematic ? block-diagram] but I'm not going to look at it by my self.

PS. reminding the manufacturers that competing alternatives exist is a GOOD blind-fishing approach, because socio-economic systems are not 'exact sciences'.

Reply to
Unknown

Me too, however the OP posted little relevant information and seemed rather resistant to actually trying any sensible diagnosis. ISTM he fancied a rant having already come to a (possibly premature) conclusion...

Only in cases where you have access to all the information, and even then complexity of the problem can make outright logical analysis impractical. Even in exact sciences, playing hunches, and trial and error play a big part in progress.

[big snip]

Hardly seems worth it, the OP has already thrown in the towel, and the rest of us seem to have working rPis....

--
Cheers,

John.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
John Rumm

From his tone throughout I'm pretty sure the OP had decided he didn't want to bother before he made his first post. Folks here were very polite to him - more so than I could have been. He seemed more willing to complain than to listen for a solution.

One of his posts mentioned that the working one was from a different country of manufacture from the others so I suspect that the problem was as mentioned at

A few people pointed out to him that he should use an up-to-date image, as the linked page says but last I saw he was going to give up without trying it. Weird guy.

James

Reply to
James Harris

I thought he just wanted an excuse to tell the world that all this newfangled sissy shit is utter crap, and so is everything unless it's made in the good ol' US of A.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Well, if you *want* it not to work, or to be able to say that it doesn't................

--
Windmill, TiltNot@NoneHome.com       Use  t m i l l
J.R.R. Tolkien:-                            @ S c o t s h o m e . c o m
 Click to see the full signature