Simple matrix of Raspberry Pi components?

I suppose I'm used to having that stuff available in my job. Though I did an Android internals course where we used Beagbone Blacks ISTR and they had a touch panel running. Don't remember if there was any sound involved. That involved building everything from scratch. It was a few years back and the fine detail has long evaporated from my memory.

Reply to
mm0fmf

https://pinout.xyz

Reply to
A. Dumas

On a sunny day (Mon, 17 Feb 2020 09:09:13 -0600) it happened Richard Owlett wrote in :

OK my misunderstanding :-)

Anyways .. spreadsheets .. it will be obsolete by the time you have it. These days if I want an sort of overview of what is on the market I just google, if I actually want to buy I ask ebay. China has made anything and everything, and it _changes_ day by day. The housing for my Pi 4 comes from ebay / China... liked it more than what was in the local shops..

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Alright, "GPIO compatible devices", not the GPIO "device" itself.

The things that plug into it.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

Oh I see, there's: https://pinout.xyz/boards

Still, the first three boards that came to mind: HiFiBerry, Apple2Pi, and PiTubeDirect, aren't on there. So it's clearly not a reliable reference for the full range of what's available.

--
__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#

I wrote

And Aliexpress

Got a Sony super-had camera there recently, for 1/2 the price it is at UK / US sellers, and Ali had hundreds in stock :-)

Search their webside for Rarpberry Pi:

Jan Panteltje

In early 60's, the chairman of the university's freshman writing course declared my composition skills hopeless ;<

I am restricting myself, at least initially, to items defined/specified/sanctioned/??? by Raspberry Pi Foundation.

Search engines are not designed to yield the information in a useful format. The charts at

are an unsatisfactory approximation of what I want.

Reply to
Richard Owlett

Not what I was thinking of. Bookmarked! It will be valuable in another way.

Reply to
Richard Owlett

That aims to meet a similar need. But the format doesn't meet my use pattern. It definitely gives data-points for whatever I attempt.

It may have solved one problem - https://pinout.xyz/pinout/pijuice BOOKMARKED!

Reply to
Richard Owlett

I was thinking in sense used for a "component based Hi-Fi system". E.G. components would include tuner, amplifier, turntable, speaker, etc.

Lots of good information {bookmarked} but it has a different purpose.

Reply to
Richard Owlett

On a sunny day (Tue, 18 Feb 2020 03:59:59 -0600) it happened Richard Owlett wrote in :

Stay true to yourself!

Years later I had a go at a course information technology at a university here, that was AFTER I wrote my own OS etc... Got into a big argument about the intro paper, finally decided it was a clueless bunch, left the club. As to the clueless bunch (I am in the Netherlands) many big IT projects here were started and had to be given up after millions and millions spent. Tax system - > disaster Police system -> disaster And now recently the military IT network, those guys had to revert to using common cellphones as IBM & Friends did simply not deliver (a 100 million Euros or so disaster). I KNOW who taught those guys ;-) Much of that stuff can be done by good IT people for a fraction of the money in a fraction of the time. Setting up such a network is basic stuff. Sucking gas much money as possible out of it is capitalism's excess. A recent review here found that only 12% or so of IT people had the required skills.. Same happens all over the world, was it not a few students who build an Obamacare website in a weekend or so while the trillions were consumed by companies who really have no clue,

I am a strong believer in bottom up design, putting a cookies maker CEO in command of a space exploration company will not work:-) Putting politicians in design control will not work. That is why the US needs Russia to even get people into earth orbit. Let's just hope the cunning (my respect) people at SpaceX change that, That does not mean Elon is, his Mars mission demo movie had people working on laptops on the way there none of that stuff would survive the radiation on the trip, never mind the big LCD displays in his spacecraft... One cosmic particle hit and you lose all your instruments! LOL

Anyways getting carried away here, just read CNN on the Barr issue and Precedent Duck's influence.

Sanctioned is a big word.

As to what to do to get the job done in programming, I like to resort to small micros that run only one or maybe a very few tasks, like Microchip PICs used here:

A big Linux based multitasker is a bit of a joke, putting ever more bloated languages on it makes it even worse needs ever more computer power to do the simplest things written by ever more people using 'high' (my foot) level languages who have no clue what blobs of insane code those generate.. that goes for modern websites made by people using those tools too.

Something revolutionary was recently presented in the news, I looked up the website of the company could not make any sense of it after trying Seamonkey, Firefox and Chrome and decided if they could not even make a website forget about their AI based inventions.

Be very specific of what you want and do NOT I repeat NOT underestimate search engines. Searching '..thing.. review' can tell you a lot about people's experiences. I usually try that before I buy.

As to land back on the raspi platform, it has been moving from an educational tool (where you really like to use GPIO) to some sort of web surfing thing. I do not trust Linux very much anymore, selinux.., browsers that phone home, CIA NSA listing to everything you type in every possible way. I currently have no plans to invade the US, and my postings may perhaps cause brain damage to the guys at those organizations or to their AI ... :-) Sanctioned... *I* decide what I interface with what, Open sourcing stuff is nice, this for example:

was then taken up by somebody else who did it all in software, radio hams ... sanctioned my foot!

It is always up to you And if you CANNOT program or have no hardware knowledge use an Android or I think China now wants its own OS on cell phones. Huawei is being sanctioned by US, a silly trick by US to kill competition, Trump an other Jewish fanatic who thinks he is superior to everybody else and rules the world. The result is the world turns against Israel. A possible WW3 that will be all 'nuculear' in in GW Bush JR's words will at least take the fear among the human made climate change idiots for 'radiation' away, it will be everywhere every place, we need more nuclear power plants to power our aircos if we, as humanity, will want to survive the next heating period and next ice age, and space travel to get out of here.

Religious fanatics lead to dark ages, Roman empire fell, leads to anti-science, cutting scientific corners remember just after trump go elected him standing next to Boeing gas the greatest thing ever, where is Boeing now after cutting corners? Maybe trump thinks programming is like twittering him saying it is great makes it so... OTOH once we have our problems taken on by AI we will be full circle.. Sanctioned my foot.

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

Of course they do. Some factory in Shenzhen makes a batch of 10,000 for Sony, then another batch of 10,000 which ends up half price on some Chinese tat bazaar.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Last edit to that page was in May 2018. Good for anything happening before then, seemingly abandoned since.

--
Jim H
Reply to

That's no indication regarding the Wiki as a whole. There was, for example, a page added for the details of the GPIOs in the SoC used for the Raspberry Pi 4:

__          __
#_ < |\| |< _#
Reply to
Computer Nerd Kev

OK... but my remarks were about the PAGE referenced earlier. I said nothing about the Wiki as a whole.

--
Jim H
Reply to

I wasn't implying that the extensive documentation was only to be found written on that index page obviously, when one is on the web one must click the links. Anyhow it's clearly still possible for people to edit it, so seems as good a place as any (again talking about the Wiki here, not the specific index page) to put a comprehensive "matrix" of Pi compatible components (there are already lists there to start with), which is what the OP seemed to be looking for.

Though he seems only to be interested in documenting a sub-set that interests him specifically, so I guess not.

--

Yes. My attempt is on hold due to time conflict with another project. One sub-question was "Is there a place for such a list?". The wiki seems recognized as appropriate.

My focus is more on presentation format than units covered. At a minimum I would cover everything listed in Wikipedia at

My motivation is that I was blindsided Pi Zero having a different display connection than the rest of the line.

Reply to
Richard Owlett