SDCard -- install here and deploy there? - Page 3

Re: SDCard -- install here and deploy there?

You should always do a fresh install with the latest version in any case.

However, you may want to move an existing set up to a newer Pi, and this
can be done even if that older install wouldn't work on the new Pi. What
you need to do while running on the old Pi is to do a:-

sudo rpi-update

This will install all the newer components in /boot to allow use of any
Pi. There is one gotcha though, you need to ensure your boot partition
is big enough for al the new files. Older installs may have only had a
64MB boot partition, but 256MB is recommended now.

You can use gparted to enlarge the boot partition, but that requires
moving the root partition upwards, which may take a long time for a
large card. It may then be quicker to reformat and reinstall.

---druck

Re: SDCard -- install here and deploy there?

From bitter experience, I'd say "don't try to use gparted if you've
installed Raspbian from NOOBS". NOOBS seems to create all sorts of other
little partitions which prevent gparted from working. I installed and
configured my new Pi4 on the 16 GB card that it comes with. But I'm left
with only a gig or so of free SD space. I thought I'd be able to copy the
card onto a 32 GB card and then enlarge the almost-16 GB partition to use
all the remaining space... but those pesky little partitions seem to get in
the way.

Can I be arsed to start again from scratch, installing onto the 32 GB card
(but not via NOOBS!) and then doing all the configuration again? TVHeadend
is a real pig to configure, because it "sees" all the regional versions of
ITV1 as having the same name, whereas I want to call them "ITV1 London",
"ITV1 Yorkshire (West)" etc so I can watch/record whichever local news
happens to have greater coverage than the national news for a local story.
It's a case of going through looking at PIDs and matching them against a
list such as https://www.lyngsat.com/Astra-2E-2F-2G.html . Tedious, but I'd
got it set up just right - and then discovered the low free space and
thought how restricting it would be if I want to install anything extra.

Re: SDCard -- install here and deploy there?

NOOBS is a system to not be touched by man or beast.

It spoiled perfectly good cards by turning on the irreversible
write protect bit in the SD controller on the card. The card
someway works, but the partitioning cannot be rectified.

On a normal Raspbian card, gparted works fine, but of course,
it has to be run on a Linux machine separate from the target
Pi. I used Ubuntu 20.04LTS on a VMware virtual guest.

--

-TV

Re: SDCard -- install here and deploy there?

Do not use that, it loads beta firmware. "sudo apt update && sudo apt -y
full-upgrade" gets generally released firmware (and all the other updates).

Re: SDCard -- install here and deploy there?
On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 20:11:45 +0100 (BST), "Dave Liquorice"

    That aspect is quite logical... Using a crontab entry means if the
script failed at some point for some reason, a fresh process will be
started 10 minutes later (give or take OS overhead).

    While an internal loop might support more precise 10-minute intervals,
if the script dies then nothing will be left running.

    For a remote sensor node that relays readings to another server, I do
think I'd want as many temporary files as possible to be running in RAM
disk, and not off the SD card.

--
    Wulfraed                 Dennis Lee Bieber         AF6VN
     snipped-for-privacy@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/

Re: SDCard -- install here and deploy there?

I've been doing that for all my Pi's for over 4 years now. I've got a
BME280, lots of htu21df (temp and humidity) and a few DS18B20s (temp only).

I use crontab for all my discrete sensor measurement scripts, which run
at 5 and 15 minute intervals.

If you register your script as a service with systemd you can get it to
automatically restart after a crash.

I use looping for things which run more often than a minute, for example
my CPU temperature averaging code takes reading every second, and
produces a rolling 5 or 15 minute average, min and max values - which
are then picked up by the cron script.

Yes. Its a compromise though, most of the 2MB to 10MB that my Pis write
to the card every day is logging (the higher number on log rotates), so
logging to RAM would make the SD card last a lot longer. But in the
event of a crash resulting in a reboot, I wouldn't know what happened.

There is a lot of scope to turn off logging you don't need, and to set
critical logging to SD card or a remote server, and not critical stuff
to RAM. I haven't got around to sorting that out though,

---druck

Site Timeline