SDCard -- install here and deploy there?

Hi all,

I have Raspberries in different locations. One of them, more than 100
miles away didn't come back from a reboot. Hence, I suspect the SDCard to
be corrupted. This one worked one and a half year without any trouble,
but now its time seems over.

I have to install a new one. Well. But:

Since I have only little time when visiting, I'd like to prepare a fresh
install and put the card into the RPi when I am there.

Reason for asking is, that I have different machine type, and not two are
the same.

The card I have to install now is for machine type "Raspberry A" (SDCard /
Micro-SD with adapter), and the machines on which I could do the setup
here are "Raspberry 3 / quad core proc." or "Raspberry Zero / WLAN".

Can this work at all -- according to you experience -- to install on one
machine type and use in a completely different one?

Thanks for info!

Best regards,

Markus

--
Please reply to group only.
For private email please use http://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/email.htm

Re: SDCard -- install here and deploy there?

If you're using Raspbian, it will probably work - other OSs may not.
Why not hedge your bets (it could be an RPi complete failure) and get a
new one to set up from scratch.

--

Chris Elvidge, England

Re: SDCard -- install here and deploy there?

100
SDCard

That would be wise. A Zero is not exactly expensive... Also "didn't
come back from a reboot" is a bit vague. Is that just waiting after
issuing a reboot command or after a shut down and power cycle? Has it
been power cycled? Has the SD card been reseated and the power
cycled? Is there a micro SD to SD card adpater in use?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Re: SDCard -- install here and deploy there?

Hi, what I've done in short:

I start a python script via crontab every 10 minutes which reads I2C data
from a BME280 sensor. This script calculates the temperature, relative
humidity and relative air pressure and sends it to a webserver.

This works perfectly.

To be on the safe side I make / made a reboot every night. From this the
questioned machine didn't return, now. I see in the log that the last
transmission was ok, then the reboot was started and the connection was
lost. So, I doubt that the machine completely broke down. Most likely the
SDCard gave up.

So, I also have to re-think if it is a good idea to make daily reboots
even though the resources are not locked or eaten up. Maybe one reboot
per week will also do?

P.S. I'd rather prefer to use "Raspberry Zero / WLAN" only for
installation, since it has only Wifi and the network there is cable based.

Best regards,

Markus

--
Please reply to group only.
For private email please use http://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/email.htm

Re: SDCard -- install here and deploy there?
  Re: Re: SDCard -- install here and deploy there?
  By: Markus Robert Kessler to All on Thu Oct 22 2020 05:35 pm

 > To be on the safe side I make / made a reboot every night. From this the

I know I am not helping, but rebooting "just because" is bad practice.

If anything, reboot the service you need to reboot. And it is still bad.

Much better to have a watchdog or something email you if there is any issue.

--
gopher://gopher.operationalsecurity.es

Re: SDCard -- install here and deploy there?

on my RPI-3 I used to have a watchdog service. But by some reason the
system hung instead of doing a hardware-reboot. Maybe there was a kernel
module mismatch. So, I switched it off.

Besides this, a watchdog may put your SDCard in a state where an fsck is
demanded for. So, the system does not start non-interactively next time.

best regards,

Markus

--
Please reply to group only.
For private email please use http://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/email.htm

Re: SDCard -- install here and deploy there?

I agree with that. The majority of downtime across my dozen Pis are
issues after reboots. It ranges from network dropping out while booting,
to hardware not being ready, and of course the SD card throwing a wobbly.

If the system is remote, I would not automatically reboot. If it needs
rebooting, have someone there power cycle it, and wait until it has
rebooted in case it needs another power cycle.

You can configure it to do an automated fsck on every reboot, which
doesn't need any interaction. It can add a minute or two to the boot
time, and you need to check the logs regularly as if the card is
starting to get dodgy it can struggle on fixing itself up to the point
where it dies completely. What you should do is replace it immediately
there is any doubt.

But the best solution (if not using a Pi A or Zero) is to use something
other than SD for the root filing system.

---druck

Re: SDCard -- install here and deploy there?
On 2020-10-22, Richard Falken

Go easy on him, he probably started out as a Microsoft vict^H^H^H^Huser.

--
/~\  Charlie Gibbs                  |  "Some of you may die,
Re: SDCard -- install here and deploy there?

Vict-what? -- Victim?

At work I use to boot my machines only every few months and some even
once per year. For headless servers this is sufficient. But these have
typically 16 GB of RAM or even more.

We are talking about a "Raspberry A" with 256 MB (MegaByte). Under load
this amount will be eaten up soon. That was one of the reasons for
inventing repeated reboots. On more sophisticated RPIs with 1 GB this is
not necessary of course.

Markus

--
Please reply to group only.
For private email please use http://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/email.htm

Re: SDCard -- install here and deploy there?

??? WTF ???

Good grief...

--
?when things get difficult you just have to lie?

Re: SDCard -- install here and deploy there?
On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 10:39:35 -0000 (UTC)

    Reboots to cure memory leaks ? IOW reboots as a workaround for bad
programming! That has never been acceptable in my book since times when
256Mb was a dream as disc capacity.

    I ran a 256Mb Rpi for a long time as router, DNS, DHCP, VPN and
asterisk server, it never needed regular reboots. These days I need more
CPU and better networking in the router (gigabit PPPoE takes a fairly fast
processor).

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith                          |   Directable Mirror Arrays
C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun

Yeah, back in the real world it's an optimisation problem. Is it more
efficient to reboot a server or invest time debugging leaky code. Time
is money.

Re: SDCard -- install here and deploy there?

But seeing that the code is leaky is dead simple: just run top and look
at the display every so often.

Martin    | martin at
Re: SDCard -- install here and deploy there?

Yes, it is often dead simple to see that code doesn't work, however
fixing it....

Re: SDCard -- install here and deploy there?

Yes, seeing that a bit of code doesn't work is simple, but realising that
it might be a memory leak, not so much unless its Java, when you get told
in no uncertain terms what happened if your program hit the size limit on
the JVM's memory allocation pool.

I'm always surprised by the number of people don't know that 'top'
exists, let alone understand what it can show you.

Martin    | martin at
Re: SDCard -- install here and deploy there?
On Sat, 24 Oct 2020 12:43:03 +0100

    Out here in my bit of the real world if we create a service that we
can't stop leaking then we arrange to restart the *service* periodically
because our customers look on unexpected reboots with great disfavour. They
like their expensive servers to be serving not rebooting.

--
Steve O'Hara-Smith                          |   Directable Mirror Arrays
C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Re: SDCard -- install here and deploy there?
Very good point

--
?when things get difficult you just have to lie?

Re: SDCard -- install here and deploy there?

No doubt. However many customers like cheap code delivered fast.

I have tended to work on projects where rapid development time was
crucial and once developed it was often cheaper to throw hardware at
problems, rather than developer time.

Re: SDCard -- install here and deploy there?

I this type of thinking is precisely why there is so much bad code with
security vulnerabilities in the wild.

If you cant afford to do it right how on earth can you afford the losses
from a data  breach?

--
lisp, v.:
    To call a spade a thpade.

Re: SDCard -- install here and deploy there?

Data Breach? pah!, peanuts. I could show you how to write code to really
lose money.

Site Timeline