SDCard -- install here and deploy there?

From bitter experience, I'd say "don't try to use gparted if you've installed Raspbian from NOOBS". NOOBS seems to create all sorts of other little partitions which prevent gparted from working. I installed and configured my new Pi4 on the 16 GB card that it comes with. But I'm left with only a gig or so of free SD space. I thought I'd be able to copy the card onto a 32 GB card and then enlarge the almost-16 GB partition to use all the remaining space... but those pesky little partitions seem to get in the way.

Can I be arsed to start again from scratch, installing onto the 32 GB card (but not via NOOBS!) and then doing all the configuration again? TVHeadend is a real pig to configure, because it "sees" all the regional versions of ITV1 as having the same name, whereas I want to call them "ITV1 London", "ITV1 Yorkshire (West)" etc so I can watch/record whichever local news happens to have greater coverage than the national news for a local story. It's a case of going through looking at PIDs and matching them against a list such as

Tedious, but I'd got it set up just right - and then discovered the low free space and thought how restricting it would be if I want to install anything extra.

Reply to
NY

Do not use that, it loads beta firmware. "sudo apt update && sudo apt -y full-upgrade" gets generally released firmware (and all the other updates).

Reply to
A. Dumas

Vict-what? -- Victim?

At work I use to boot my machines only every few months and some even once per year. For headless servers this is sufficient. But these have typically 16 GB of RAM or even more.

We are talking about a "Raspberry A" with 256 MB (MegaByte). Under load this amount will be eaten up soon. That was one of the reasons for inventing repeated reboots. On more sophisticated RPIs with 1 GB this is not necessary of course.

Markus

--
Please reply to group only.
For private email please use http://www.dipl-ing-kessler.de/email.htm

??? WTF ???

Good grief...

--
?when things get difficult you just have to lie?
Reply to

Reboots to cure memory leaks ? IOW reboots as a workaround for bad programming! That has never been acceptable in my book since times when

256Mb was a dream as disc capacity.

I ran a 256Mb Rpi for a long time as router, DNS, DHCP, VPN and asterisk server, it never needed regular reboots. These days I need more CPU and better networking in the router (gigabit PPPoE takes a fairly fast processor).

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Yeah, back in the real world it's an optimisation problem. Is it more efficient to reboot a server or invest time debugging leaky code. Time is money.

Reply to
Pancho

But seeing that the code is leaky is dead simple: just run top and look at the display every so often.

Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org
Reply to
Martin Gregorie

Out here in my bit of the real world if we create a service that we can't stop leaking then we arrange to restart the *service* periodically because our customers look on unexpected reboots with great disfavour. They like their expensive servers to be serving not rebooting.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

NOOBS is a system to not be touched by man or beast.

It spoiled perfectly good cards by turning on the irreversible write protect bit in the SD controller on the card. The card someway works, but the partitioning cannot be rectified.

On a normal Raspbian card, gparted works fine, but of course, it has to be run on a Linux machine separate from the target Pi. I used Ubuntu 20.04LTS on a VMware virtual guest.

--

-TV
Reply to

Very good point

--
?when things get difficult you just have to lie?
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

No doubt. However many customers like cheap code delivered fast.

I have tended to work on projects where rapid development time was crucial and once developed it was often cheaper to throw hardware at problems, rather than developer time.

Reply to
Pancho

Yes, it is often dead simple to see that code doesn't work, however fixing it....

Reply to
Pancho

I this type of thinking is precisely why there is so much bad code with security vulnerabilities in the wild.

If you cant afford to do it right how on earth can you afford the losses from a data breach?

--
lisp, v.:
	To call a spade a thpade.

Yes, seeing that a bit of code doesn't work is simple, but realising that it might be a memory leak, not so much unless its Java, when you get told in no uncertain terms what happened if your program hit the size limit on the JVM's memory allocation pool.

I'm always surprised by the number of people don't know that 'top' exists, let alone understand what it can show you.

Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org
Reply to
Martin Gregorie

Data Breach? pah!, peanuts. I could show you how to write code to really lose money.

Reply to
Pancho

In the 1990s, one of our UNIX servers (hostname "ozz" - yes, someone couldn't spell: I know the Wizard was from Oz) was a real pig to get all the processes running after a reboot - it required a lot of black-art tinkering by one of the UNIX gurus. Consequently it was never restarted Fortunately it never need kernel rebuilds for incorporating new device drivers. Surprisingly, in view of its kittle and vulnerable state, it wasn't connected to a UPS. One day there was a fairly dramatic power cut, when a JCB working nearby put its jib through a high-voltage cable (*). Whereas everyone else went to investigate the loud explosion, the brilliant flash and the cloud of black smoke, ozz's "handler" went into paroxysms of despair at the amount of time he was going to waste getting it going again when the power eventually came back.

(*) The JCB partially melted. The driver was less lucky.

Reply to
NY

256 Mb. So 64 MB? That's luxury!

I can remember when I bought my first computer, in 1981, a CPM/3-based "Wren" (*). I decided that I could just about afford the RAM upgrade from 16 KB to 256 KB, but I couldn't justify or afford the disk upgrade from 2 floppies to 1 floppy and a 5 MB hard disk.

My first IBM-compatible PC, based on an 8086, came with a 20 MB HDD. It ran MS-DOS fine, but it wasn't up to running Windows 1 - and I used up most of the HDD even installing it from the multitude of diskettes that I borrowed from work to try it out of curiosity.

(*) I remember it was the first time I'd even driven in London, in the car that I'd bought a few weeks earlier after passing my test - navigating along the A40, Marylebone Road/Euston Road, Gray's Inn Road to Theobalds Road where the shop was. I even managed to find my way back home again ;-) The Wren still worked until I last tried it a few years ago, when I found that the PSU (a very obsolete design) had finally packed up.

Reply to
NY

A bit later than 1981 I think - CP/M 3 didn't come out until 1983 CPN for the Torch (1982) was based on CP/M 2.2, I'd have just ported CP/M 3 if it had been available.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Certainly was !

I first learned to program in Algol 60 on an Elliott 503 with 8 Kwords (39 bit words) with input on paper tape and output on a lineprinter.

Then learned assembler on an ICL 1901 with 4KWords of 24 bit memory, card input, compiler loaded from magnetic tape and output on a lineprinter.

My first home machine was as a 48KB system with an MC6809 running FLEX-09 from two floppies. Input from keyboard, output to an Epson dot matrix printer (remember them?).

At work I was programming an ICL 2966 mainframe running 12 online database systems, for a few hundred uses, written in COBOL and on 16MB RAM. with a roomful of 400MB, washing machine sized disk drives. (you can go see one at TNMOC at Bletchley Park).

Mutter..mutter - tell that the the kidz of today and they won't believe you...

Now a Lenovo T440 laptop with 8GB RAM and 500 GB disk, running Linux, with Internet connections and a laser printer does everything I need and is fast enough to avoid waiting except for system updates.

Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org
Reply to
Martin Gregorie

32, you mean. Also, technically, it's MiB.
A. Dumas