10kV here and 10kV there ...

I'm trying to finish the fab drawings for an instrument that seems to have a little too much high voltage. Each part looks OK, but there's that nagging feeling... Can't seem to shake it.

10kV here and 10kV there, and pretty soon you're talking real voltage. -3kV for the Channeltron. -10kV max for one electrode, -10.1kV plus a HV ramp for the other electrode. +15kV for the voltage source powering the MOSFET stack for the HV ramp. You may remember my 10kV 1us-long highly-linear ramp.

Actually I ended up with a 12 to 13kV ramp, which can last 0.5us to 100us, but the first 10kV is very linear. AC-coupled, the HV ramp takes the -10.1kV electrode down to -23kV. Let's see, we have +15kV dc and -10kV dc, that's a 25kV AC coupling cap. OK.

Hmm, +15kV and -23kV, that's 38kV. In a 3.5" 2U chassis. No wonder I'm nervous. Keep things far apart I guess.

--
 Thanks,
    - Win

Seal everything and fill with transformer oil...or epoxy if you don't intend it to be serviced. Epoxy has the advantage in not leaking out. Be sure of the ground on the case.

Likely not practical, but does the job quite well. Once past the debug phase, might be worth serious consideration. Alters thermal management, sometimes in a good way, sometimes in a bad way.

For air-filled designs: Avoid sharp edges, points, that sort of thing. Make liberal use of high-voltage heat shrink - the stuff is worthwhile. RTV Silicone, while not pretty, can also be a very useful material. Paper phenolic is a remarkably robust material with good mechanical properties.

Just Say: did some time in the plasma lab, and the laser lab.

Ecnerwal
[snip]

Do these helpful repliers to your post not know who you are?

--
Gibbo

This email address isn\'t real.
Reply to
Gibbo

Well, put it in a 4U or 40U chassis. If safety's a poser, then to hell with space 'constraints'.

john jardine
[snip]

John how does one email you these days?

--
Gibbo

This email address isn\'t real.
Reply to
Gibbo

Not much worse than an old color TV. I have an old Bertam 30 KV power supply about that size, all air insulated, ancient and dusty, works fine.

Got any pix? Schematics? Did you lose many fets getting the stacked ramp thing to work?

Some sort of streak tubish spectrometer thing?

John

Thanks!

Reply to
Winfield Hill

Yep, old color-TV transformers and connections are an inspiration.

I'm working on that.

Not any so far. Fingers crossed.

Hmm. Interesting idea.

Reply to
Winfield Hill

On Mon, 5 Feb 2007 01:40:26 -0000, "john jardine" Gave us:

There is no safe airspace design for that voltage. A small, cheaper design, and encapsulation would be the most reliable way to go. Oil bath is good too, but a lot more messy and a lot more controlled, actually.

Rubber (read rubber, silicone, etc.)is cheap (comparatively), and low on the MSDS hazard list... very low. Transformer oil is a major PITA, sealed up case or not.

What you can do is make a driver board which is not encapsulated that pumps a separate, encapsulated multiplier/storage module (high temp cheap COTS plastic case) which IS encapsulated that has the HV output lead(s) coming from it (3 for this design). No messes there. Very low maintenance compared to oil. The driver stage can be center tapped, dual, or whatever you want. You only need to store as much energy as you need to consume, so no need for massive storage banks of caps as that can be unsafe. So you need to do a requirements analysis of what currents you will be using these voltages at.

Reply to
MassiveProng

Bertan also used RTV, but they allways forgot to evacuate the moisture when filling. They had many QA issues, probably the reason they sold out to Spellman.

Martin Riddle

Uh, MP, 500KV in air is almost routine at scientific labs. The power lines over your head peak at >190KV in open weather. I've worked in a lab that had 5MV supplies (not near my work area, though, and there was lots of space).

Yeah, Win's severely restricted space is a consideration (one I'm glad I don't have to deal with, and one I wouldn't presume to offer advice for), but it has also been done many times. I really don't know whether it was done with air, though. I never saw the innards of those things.

Good luck, Win.

John Perry

Reply to
John Perry

Avoid sharp edges too! If you must have HV on PCB's then make cut-outs around the HV sections so that anything that wants to flash over has at least to creep up a field gradient. Remember that dirt will accumulate on surfaces to aid in the formation of a breakdown.

The relevant electrical safety standards for "secondary high voltage equipment - haven't got the number, since it is at home" are I.M.E.X. extremely useful to consult: Full of practical advice and useful guidelines for layout and spacing (Surprise, that!!)

Reply to
Frithiof Andreas Jensen

Yes, right. Creep distance is the shortest distance along the surface. Apparently 10kV to 20kV per inch is a good minimum creep distance, although I've often seen less.

-

I'd like to read that document.

Reply to
Winfield Hill

Can we not assume that the tubes of GE clear RTV from the hardware store are free from troublesome moisture?

Reply to
Winfield Hill

[...]

Is there any way you could generate the highest voltages directly on the apparatus that needs them and have only the lower voltages and the control gear in the rack?

--
~ Adrian Tuddenham ~
www.poppyrecords.co.uk

Someone asking a not-every-day question ?

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

Win, I was rather sucessful in keeping highvoltage stuff far away from me. However recently we opened a TWT before sending it back to the manufacturer for repair. The shipment and the repair are both costly and time consuming.

The operating voltage of the TWT is in the order of 15kV. We found the high voltage divider which was potted in some yucky stuff, to have disintegrated this yucky stuff. Whatever this yucky stuff may have been before became liquid from corona dischanges and leaked out. Could have been rubber, silicone, even polyester or epoxy. IMO, the makers assumed to be save from whatever by potting it and this was not the case. So, I'd lower the max field strength of a setup even when it is potted into a solid or liquid.

Rene

Rene Tschaggelar

No. It contains acetic acid and will corrode stuff. There are RTV formulations for potting

Regards,

Boris Mohar

void _-void-_ in the obvious place

Boris Mohar

creep

I'm currently working on a high voltage diff probe and have heard that the standards we have to apply impose around 7mm/kV. Ouch^N!

Fortunately we only have to go to 4kV.

equipment -

spacing

--
Thanks,
Fred.

On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 15:54:39 -0800, Winfield Hill wrote: ...

Corona dope:

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise