Quartus Debian Install

Hello! as I see there are people here using Altera Quartus II. Has anyone succeeded installing Quartus on systems other than RedHat? I'm looking for hints how to run the installer with csh on a Debian Linux with kernel 2.6.8. Any help is greatly appreciated. Mat

Matthias Braeunig

Hi Mat,

I'm running Quartus on a Gentoo box having used any sort of kernel ranging from 2.4.18 through my current 2.6.9 (and having done 1 successful run on

2.6.10-rc2), and tcsh version 6.13. I have never had any real issues with the installer as long as I ran it from a normal console window.

If I run it from a KDE kommand window, for some reason the backspace key gets remapped to something useless, but since the installation procedure mainly involves hitting Enter a few times, then typing a path, and then hitting Enter a few more times again I don't think that that's a show-stopper. Just type "stty sane" once the script finishes.

Once installed, if Quartus won't run on your machine, take a good look at the $QUARTUS/adm/qenv.csh script, and make sure that the settings the script automatically makes for a RedHat machine are also set in the non-Redhat part of the settings script (around line 111). The important ones are QUARTUS_MWWM and LD_ASSUME_KERNEL. Both of these should be unnecessary on a Debian machine, unless you compiled your glibc with NTPL threading support, in which case you should definitely add an LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.4 line.

There's a few more possible hiccups and glitches I've found in the field, but as long as you're using a fairly vanilla installation you should be able to run Quartus just fine.

My biggest gripe with the Linux port is that the mouse wheel won't work. If you feel that this is a feature you's like to see as well, complain to Altera, and to Mainsoft, who are the cause of all this trouble because it's their platform layer that doesn't support the mouse wheel. The more people that complain about this, the better.

Best regards,

Ben Sasco

Reply to
Ben Twijnstra

Just a side question - do you have to pay to get Quartus II for Linux? I couldn't see it in download section. If so what do you get? Source code or rpm? - and how much if have to pay?

Reply to
7