Quad-core Atom based Raspberry Pi lookalike is ready to roll

Aaeon's "UP board":

Processor - Intel Atom x5-Z8350 (4x cores @ 1.44GHz, 1.92GHz burst) Intel HD 400 Graphics (200MHz/500MHz)

4GB DDR3L-1600 RAM 32GB eMMC flash HDMI 1.4b Camera port Gigabit Ethernet 1x USB 3.0; 6x USB 2.0 (2x via headers) 40-pin expansion bus (supported by Altera Max V. ADC 8-bit @ 188ksos)

Article:

Website of Up board:

Dave Farrance

It's a bit expensive and power-hungry, isn't it?

Reply to
Rob Morley

Also, don't be distracted by clock rate, without knowing how many ticks per instruction or in the case of ARM instructions per tick.

Of course type of instruction and memory access matter too, so the only real guide is an *independent* full set of benchmarks.

--
W J G
Reply to

Size of Up Board community?

It's not the hardware that makes the Pi or the performance. It's the fact it has mainline kernel support and a huge community.

I have an Atom based Win10 Convertible tablet based on that Atom. Same sized screen as my Nexus 7 2012 but the quad core Atom running W10 blows the Nexus running Android on the quad core ARM A9 out of the water for performance. Battery life is not as good.

I'd love to run Linux on it and not W10. However, W10 is not the turd-fest some will make out. I bought the tablet to replace the Nexus and it does what I want (ssh/vnc/rdp/web/mail).

This new board and its kernel and drivers means Linux for my W10 device may be getting nearer. Which is a "Good thing" (tm) ;-)

Thanks for the links.

Reply to
mm0fmf