Pi noob pt 2

OK, got all the periphs and conns and unit seems to be working. But,
I get an error window:
"SD card has now been formated ready for NOOBS installation. Please
re-copy the NOOBS files onto the card and reboot."
....and when I close it a panel comes up with these 4 choices:
Edit OS Edit config(e) Online help(h) Exit(esc)
Problem is, the first two are ghosted.
I formatted a 4G class4 SDHC card via an XP box. I put the NOOBS
files on it from a Slackware box by mounting the card (-t auto) and
copying the entire zip file to it, then uzipping it.
What now? Ferget NOOBS and try plain wheezy? I got a brand new 16G class10
SDHC card jes in case. Format from linux? Like I said, the Pi seems
to be working. Running to an HDMI TV and display is excellent. Mouse
and KB work. Jes can't seem to load the NOOBS software. ????
nb
Reply to
notbob
On 9 Sep 2013 22:38:45 GMT, notbob declaimed the following:
Formatted as what? FAT32? Maybe it needs to be ext3 (a format popular for Linux).
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber
FAT32 (or possibly FAT16) is what is correct for NOOBS. It specifically uses that to make it simple to install using a non-Linux system.
Once the card is put in a Pi and booted, the NOOBS installer will repartitioned the card as needed.
Reply to
Dom
On Wed, 11 Sep 2013 03:33:14 +0100, Dom declaimed the following:
Ah...
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber
Ahhh....yes

Reply to
hamilton
The r-pi needs a (small) fat partitition for the boot images, and then some native linux root partition. ext3 is fine, as is ext2, ext4 and probably other native unix-partitions that preserve case in filenames, have soft and hard links and a basic permssion set.
-- mrr
Reply to
Morten Reistad
Yes, and NOOBS appears to do this for you:

Reply to
hamilton
A follow up:
Seems an XP format is insufficient. I formatted my old SDHC 4G class 4 card using SD Formatter and voilá!, everything from loading NOOBS on card to installing OS of choice on pi proceeded without a hitch.

nb
Reply to
notbob
on
Isn't odd that things work as expected when you follow the instructions...
--
Cheers
Dave.