Picked up an R Pi 2

I had to go to Microcenter today for a tool as I was helping a friend fix a coffee maker. I checked before I went and they said they were out of both the rPi 2 and the rPi zero. I found a whole display of the rPi

2 and snagged one, in fact, they were on sale for $30! No luck on the rPi zero. I'll be up that way again next weekend, maybe I'll swing by and they'll have the zeros.

I spoke to a few sales people about them and they said both units don't stay in stock. They get 100 in and they are gone in a couple of days. You'd think they would order larger quantities or more often.

Looking forward to getting the rPi 2 up. I need to learn how to program the flash card from a PC. I guess if I had a USB card reader I could program it from my rPi B. I think have seen instructions on how to do that as well.

--

Rick
Reply to

They likely order whatever quantity that meets a combination of things. How many to have on hand, what's the quantity discount, how much do we want to spend, etc. Is it to be a loss leader? (And so forth!)

Reply to
Charlie

It can't be a loss leader if they don't have any to sell. I have been watching since I heard they were selling them and have not once seen them in stock. While I was in the store to buy something else I found they had the rPi 2 in stock which their web site said was not in stock. I certainly have no reason to visit the store when the web site says they don't have what I want.

Still haven't gotten the rPi 2 up. I have to read up on how to do that and get an SD card. I think I left my blank SD cards at my other place :(

--

Rick
Reply to

The Pi-2B's use a "decent" speed SDMicro card. A 5VDC 2A power supply is also needed. Use Win32DiskImager, and SDFormatter as needed. The format type is FAT32. An image file can then be written to the SD card. NOOBs is a recommended starting point, with Raspiban, etc.

The card should be 8 to 32G. There are two available Python versions in the distro, The older Python version may be needed to run various existing programs that don't do well on the newer version.

Reply to
Charlie

If writing an image, no formatting will be strictly needed, obviously(?), but it might help getting the card recognised by your OS in the first place. If dropping the expanded files from a NOOBS archive (I hate that stupid acronym) then you do need to format the card.

I recommend just getting the Raspbian image ('Full') and write it using Win32DiskImager on Windows, or command line 'dd' on OS X or Linux.

Reply to
A. Dumas