RT5370 working out of the box with Raspbian Stretch doesn't work with Buster (RPI 1B Rev 2...

I've been having issues trying to upgrade an old Raspberry Pi 1B rev 2
to Raspbian Buster (or Raspberry OS).

I bought a WiFi adapter and it worked out of the box with Stretch. I
usually use this device in a headless setup so as soon as I rebooted I
stopped having access to the pi. Then I tried to flash a SD card with
Buster straight from the Raspberry Pi website (the lite version because
it's headless) and I had the same outcome (previously I added a
wpa_supplicant.conf and added an empty "ssh" file to /boot).

Do you know what's going on? I booted the last SD card with a monitor
and I couldn't find any strange errors. I have to say that the adapter
is not faulty because I flashed a backup I made of the SD card with
Stretch and it's just fine.

Thanks in advance :)

Re: RT5370 working out of the box with Raspbian Stretch doesn't work with Buster (RPI 1B Rev 2)

I have an old (512MB) Pi 2B thats running Buster with no problems except
that the SD card is now 16GB rather than the original 4GB. Its always
been run headless, though I've never tried using wifi with it.

The difference may be that I've always done in-situ upgrades by editing
/etc/apt/sources.list and /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list to
successively change the version name: wheezy->jessie->stretch->buster
in these files, and then:
- making sure the old distro is fully up the date
- running "sudo apt-get update"
- "sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade"
- rebooting into the new version

I handled resizing the SD card by:
- using 'parted' to create and format the partitions on the new card
- using dd to copy each partition from the old to the new card.

The boot partition must be FAT32 and the filing system should be ext4.

I've migrated the system to a bigger SD card twice. The boot partition
stayed at its original size from 'wheesy' to 'stretch', but this wasn't
large enough for 'buster' now that the kernel modules needed by Pi 2, Pi
3 and Pi 4 are all part of the same distro, so I increased it to 1GB for
'buster'.

I've always used the rest of the SD card for the ext4 filing system.

HTH: all these upgrades and SD card migrations have 'just worked' for me.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Re: RT5370 working out of the box with Raspbian Stretch doesn't work with Buster (RPI 1B Rev 2)

I meant, it upgrades successfully but it stopped working with wifi
(which for me is the only real way I can use it) whether I update or
install it from scratch.

Re: RT5370 working out of the box with Raspbian Stretch doesn't work with Buster (RPI 1B Rev 2)

OK - it wasn't clear whether you'd upgraded it or merely dropped in the
latest partition images from the Raspbian Foundation.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Site Timeline