New Raspberry Pi 4 update beta lets you boot from a USB mass storage device

Raspberry Pi Foundation is almost ready to deliver a fix for Raspberry
Pi 4's lack of support for USB mass storage boot.

The Raspberry PI Foundation has released beta firmware and a bootloader
to enable booting the Raspberry Pi 4 from a USB mass storage device.

The new firmware and bootloader could be useful to Raspberry Pi 4
owners who want the option of booting from a faster USB mass storage
device instead of only doing so using an SD Card.

One of the feature highlights of the Raspberry Pi 4 Model B when it
launched in June 2019 was USB 3.0, which enables faster storage than
previous versions of the computer.

But, unlike previous models, the Raspberry Pi 4 didn't support USB mass
storage boot, preventing users from installing an operating system from
a USB mass storage device ? a gap the foundation promised would be
closed in a future software update.

That software update is nearly ready and for now is available in beta
to use for those willing to accept bugs, failures, and errors in
documentation.

"This is a beta release. If you aren't already comfortable with manual
firmware updates then please wait until this is available in a standard
release. It won't be very long," said Tim Gover, principal software
engineer for Raspberry Pi Trading.

The reason the firmware update is required is due to a change in the
design of the bootup procedure in the Raspberry Pi 4.

Instead of permanently burning the boot code into the ROM of the system
on chip (SoC), Raspberry Pi 4's boot code is stored in SPI-attached
electrically erasable programmable read-only memory (EEPROM), which can
be updated.

Raspberry Pi also notes that because the USB moved to a PCIe bus and
that there's a new Gigabit Ethernet driver, it wasn't feasible to have
the boot code permanently fixed into the ROM.[...]

https://www.zdnet.com/article/new-raspberry-pi-4-update-beta-lets-you-boot-from-a-usb-mass-storage-device/#ftag=RSSbaffb68

--

Eduardo

Re: New Raspberry Pi 4 update beta lets you boot from a USB mass storage device

[...]

[...]

Andreas Spiess had good results:
Finally: Native USB Boot without SD card for the Raspberry Pi4 (SSD Boot)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVhYvvrGhMU

--
Kees Nuyt

Re: New Raspberry Pi 4 update beta lets you boot from a USB mass storage device

Fuck off, spammer. Here's what I posted earlier, including sources:

This will require manually updating to the latest beta firmware with
rpi-update and to the latest beta eeprom image. So probably wait a few
weeks if you don't want to risk thrashing your Raspbian install (or
possibly even the eeprom of your Pi?).

Announcement and discussion:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f63%&t27%4595

All the Pi4 boot info:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bcm2711_bootloader_config.md

Re: New Raspberry Pi 4 update beta lets you boot from a USB mass storage device
A. Dumas was thinking very hard :

And?

--

Eduardo

Re: New Raspberry Pi 4 update beta lets you boot from a USB mass storage device

Let me guess - you're an avid Trump supporter, right?

Re: New Raspberry Pi 4 update beta lets you boot from a USB mass storage device

I'm not from there but if I were I would be planning his assassination
probably.

Re: New Raspberry Pi 4 update beta lets you boot from a USB mass storage device

That's odd since neither of you is civil.

Re: New Raspberry Pi 4 update beta lets you boot from a USB mass storage device

I'm Trump because I'm a bit rude to a drive-by Zdnet spammer when the real
info is elsewhere?

Site Timeline