Need to modify source and recompile: C !

I really hate having to grovel with C's . When I tried a test-run of minimalist helloWorld, copied from my PC archive, it 'failed'; and I don't want to waste time refreshing my memory with this old-crap. OTOH fetched the marvelous moused-based-system, which if essential for my project of RPi+PSU+mouse+RCAwire. No keybrd needed in societies which have analogue-TV.

--
Some years ago, I made the required mods to `wily` on my PC. It works OK.
Does anybody do C-compiling on the RPi?

== TIA.
Reply to
Unknown

Yes, and I don't see a problem as long as you use the gnu set of tools. They work as well as on mips, sparc, x86, or any other properly supported platform.

There are some limits to process size, just as on the phidgets series, but I never reached those other than compiling huge java and c++ code. And only in tests on the rpi. And never with plain c.

It is a pretty bog standard gcc+linux debian-based machine when it comes to building your own.

-- mrr

Reply to
Morten Reistad

gordon @ dragonpi: cat > hw.c #include main () { printf ("Hello world\n") ; } ^D gordon @ dragonpi: gordon @ dragonpi: cc -o hw hw.c gordon @ dragonpi: ./hw Hello world gordon @ dragonpi:

So just what are you? "Unknown " therefore anonymous. If you want people to take you seriously then put a name to yourself.

Basically, you're the one full of old-crap, not the Pi, and I'm not wasting my time reading your dribble anymore.

Gordon

Reply to
Gordon Henderson

PLEASE STOP REPLYING TO THAT GUY!

Reply to
Rob

I suspect dementia. Everything used to be easier/better ...

Reply to
Rob Morley

Yes, of course. Why else would I have one?

GNU C and the GNU compiler tools (make, flex & bison) all work well and fast. I've used CVS version control on my other Linux boxes for some years, so of course I extended it to my RPi. I installed the Debian cvs packages and pointed that copy at my main source repository - a few minutes was all it took, and was immediately able to download and compile my usual editor (microemacs) and my personal support libraries and menu system. All compiled without issues and ran immediately once I'd downloaded, compiled and installed the GNU termcap library, which is needed by microemacs. So far, that's the only missing component and has apparently been dropped from Debian due to its age.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Minor niggle: Flex isn't a GNU tool. GNU Make and Bison are not specifically for GCC either.

--
Andrew Smallshaw
andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

I wasn't sure about Flex.

However, the main points are that the usual C developer tools are available on the RPi and work well. Further, C code I've developed on Intel boxes running under Fedora recompile and run on an RPi without any problems.

--
martin@   | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Aye, you had proper trolls when I were young!

--
It's a money /life balance.
Reply to

Yes, that's what usually happens with me, and what I want to avoid. For the miminal intended usage, I expect it to fly-immediately without any 'tuning'. I was impressed: reading that Apple designs their stuff so that the client can just plug-it-in-and-go.

Reply to
Unknown

OMG! Will this be opening another canOworms? These *minor* niggles can consume massive resources.

Reply to
Unknown

Thanks for 'walking in front'; I'll try to follow you.

Reply to
Unknown

You see what I mean about the technical dialogue morphing to a girly chat?

Reply to
Unknown

No! That's the first step to posting pictures of yourself and your cat. This NOT a social forum. 'Do' the "Subject:" not the personality. If you're lonely go somewhere else.

Reply to
Unknown

The second part and the last bit are entirely reasonable in this case but not, in my opinion, for reasons of pseudonimity. If he or she had consistently signed "Richard Cranium" it would still have been the same persona. One reason for using a pseudonym might be to keep online and real life, especially work, separate to some extent. That's my reason, anyway.

Reply to
A. Dumas

Who died and made you moderator-in-chief?

|\ _,,,--,,_ /,`.-'`' ._ \-;;,_ |,4- ) )_ .;.( `'-' '---''(_/._)-'(_\_)

Reply to
Rob Morley

Everybody who keeps failing to killfile the troll and instead replies to his baiting.

Reply to
Roger Bell_West

I was going to curse you for cursing the name that the prophet gave me [blessed be his name] but I decided to just rather paste/test your, code [without the bombastic 18-char (given the value/scarcity of PS1 real-estsate].

And of course it failed with what seemed familiar from previously. But thanks for pasting you confirming code.

Since this SD is an original from RS, I don't intend to and screw-up what's working.

This loss of control to an automaton which updates YOUR system is like the boys who thought they could mortgage their house for beer.

An interesting description was: "gcc is a monster, and a moving target". =========== ip3News.Send *

Reply to
fld

The Charter for this group is here:

NEWSGROUPS LINE:

comp.sys.raspberry-pi Raspberry Pi computers & related hardware and software

CHARTER:

Newsgroup comp.sys.raspberry-pi is for discussion of issues connected with Raspberry Pi computer systems including set up, programming, software, operating systems, interfacing, related hardware and projects.

Posters are expected to abide by normal Usenet standards of decorum, and to ignore articles intended to disrupt the group. The usual suspects are prohibited (spam, binaries, direct advertising, etc.)

--
Cheers,
David