My darn NAS UPDATE...

So, it was weird. I connected my laptop to the ethernet and............

BOTH Pi 3 and Pi 4 OMV NAS setups STILL are only getting around 10Mb/s transfer rates!?

So I don't know where my bottleneck is, but... with MY system currently theres no reason to run the Pi 4 with gigabit - I wonder where MY bottleneck is at.

:/ Ugh - more testing is in my future.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o |08.........

Reply to
paul lee

Not hard. start by cat-ting a file to /dev/null. Then between various machines. It may be that you CABLES are not gigabit - that uses all the pins

100Mmbps only uses two pairs

use ethtool to see what actual speed interfaces are running at.

all women"
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Test the interfaces, i.e. the NICs on each system and check that they are *actually* running at 1000Mb/s.

There's a handy little utility called ethtool which can do this for you or you can find the details for each interface in /sys/class/net.

--
Chris Green
Reply to

Check also that network switches and the router can all run at 1 Gbps. And that the NICs on both computers (Pi and the other end) can run at this speed.

I spent a little while trying to work out why a SAMBA share between a Windows and Ubuntu computer never got above 100 Mbps - and then I spotted that the Ubuntu PC's NIC was only 100 Mbps and not 1 Gbps.

My Pi3 to my Windows PC (reading/writing to SAMBA share on Pi), with 1 Gbps switches, router and NICs, transfers at about 130 Mbps - for a large 1 GB file.

My Pi4 to Windows achieves about 500 Mbps (peak) / 180 average for Pi->Windows and a very steady 200 Mbps for Windows->Pi, in both cases with transfer initiated from Windows.

Those speeds are estimated from the Task Manager | Networking app on Windows. In all cases the copies are from a USB-connected hard drive on the Pi to a SATA-connected hard drive on Windows.

Reply to
NY

Once upon a time we had a NAS at work that seemed fine but only at 10 Mb/s. I think the problem was a bad cable.

Reply to
Anssi Saari

JFTAOD, bits or bytes?

Reply to
Andy Burns

TN> > :/ Ugh - more testing is in my future. TN> Not hard. start by cat-ting a file to /dev/null. TN> Then between various machines. TN> It may be that you CABLES are not gigabit - that uses all the pins TN> 100Mmbps only uses two pairs TN> use ethtool to see what actual speed interfaces are running at.

Thanks for a good start. Yes, I just grabbed ethernet cords from my Sonos speakers. Stupid... and while I do grasp and understand a lot of things in Linux, I've not fully understood all the network rules and things.

Anyway, yea... I've a long way to go to find my 'issue'. But I know I can start to find the solutions... thanks for the tips.

|07p|15AULIE|1142|07o |08.........

Reply to
paul lee