faucet using IPv6, not IPv4... why?

I installed netpipes on an RPi running raspbian.
faucet 9999 --in cat
whines
opening stream socket: Address family not supported by protocol
Using strace to see what the problem is, I see
socket(PF_INET6, SOCK_STREAM, IPPROTO_TCP) = -1 EAFNOSUPPORT (Address family not supported by protocol)
Using faucet on my laptop (running Slackware) I see
socket(PF_INET, SOCK_STREAM, IPPROTO_TCP) = 3
I've searched the web, but can't see any solutions to this problem.
(The nearest thing I found was someone who suggested to edit
/etc/gai.conf, which I don't think is relevant, but in desperation I
tried uncommenting "precedence ::ffff:0:0/96 100" anyway, to no
avail.)
ifconfig shows only IPv4 addresses for both eth0 and lo. I'm a bit
boggled as to why faucet is not only preferring IPv6 but also giving
up completely when that doesn't work.
Anyone know what's going on here?
Thanks.
Jim