Electronic Faucet

I am an undergrad student at electric and electronics engineering.I have a course project at analog electronics which is to make an electronic faucet with photo transistors.I have an idea how to operate while hands come close but i don't have an idea how to control the water. Any help will be grateful.Thanks anyway.

Reply to
onurco

"onurco" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@g47g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Search your own house. Good chance you find a machine that somehow takes water, all automatically. Next step is to find some screwdrivers and explore the inside of the machine.

--
Thanks, Frank.
(remove \'q\' and \'.invalid\' when replying by email)

Visit your local scrapyard and have a rummage around.

Take some old washing machines or dishwashers to bits - they have to switch the flow of water on and off, so they should be useful.

You will have to do some thinking to find how they work, but that should be educational or at least fun.

Reply to
Kryten

Junk washing machines water valves and lawn sprinkler control valves would probably be the inexpensive things to check.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

It would be more interesting to make them more "linear", (i.e. regulating temperature). Digital is so obvious. ;-)

--
  Keith
Reply to

spinning

Make sure you use a grid leak detector before calling the plumber but after using the bit bucket.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Just get one of these and copy it :-)

Ross Herbert

They make regulating faucets, however they don't have any of your electronic gimcrackery and LED/LCD gewgaws. I think they use a bimetal to work the mixing valve. No electrical power required, in any case.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Probably a wax cartridge?

Anyway there are faucents that detect hands coming nearby. The interesting thing is the low power: they are battery operated. One claims a 1 year running time running on 4 AAA batteries and 4000 operations per month.

Thomas

Reply to
Zak

My wall switch timer for electric lights uses a tiny electric motor and a gear train and cam to operate a microswitch. A single AAA alkaline battery powers it for something like a year. It will switch

120, 240 or whatever, the microcontroller and all runs from the single cell, so the microswitch is the only thing that needs to be connected to the outside world. The circuitry wouldn't even have to be hot if they didn't use the NC contact of the microswitch to tell the micro the switch state.

It also turns the lights on at a calculated dusk time based on the calendar and approximate latitude. Not bad for $35 US.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

They're installing proximity sensors on the toilets/urinals at work. I was wondering if this was a ploy by the plumbers' union. ;-)

--
  Keith
Reply to

The electronics is only 1% of it, the rest is manufacturing, regulatory, and practical ( such as single IR beam does not work too well on detecting hands with too much pigment). Some context background:

Also, see Economy Solenoid Valves Series 11
. Looks like most products assume single line feed from remote temperature regulating manifold.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

Forgive me for being brutally honest, but has anyone actually used an electronic faucet? They're horrible! They're very unreliable. They often are either slow to react, or they don't turn on at all, or they stay on after you've left and waste a lot of water. The sensor design sucks big time.

To improve reliability may require a far IR (motion) sensor, as apposed to a near IR sensor. It also instead of trying to sense the hand in the sink and having to deal with water and dirt, it might be easier to sense the person's body or arm or the area around the sink. Failing that, a better choice might be a non-optical sensor, like ultrasound, or a capacitve sensor, or an electric field sensor, which as I understand it, senses capacitance to ground by driving an antenna with a 100 kHz sine wave.

But what is an electronic faucet supposed to achieve anyway? It seems like an aweful lot of trouble just to save one twist of the wrist, and they're probably more expensive than a standard faucet. Any engineering school worth a damn ought to teach how to ask these critical questions about design!

Why not just use a normal faucet, or maybe use one that can be operated with a foot pedal?

good luck. Sincerely, M

Reply to
spinning

The link that FBloggs posted indicated a quick ROI (6 months) and continuing savings on water and water heating costs. People don't (can't) leave the taps on, they can't easily fill the sink with water and shave, they can't pick how hot the water should be, overshoot and have to waste all kinds of hot water.

I suspect a button which gives you an ADA-compliant 10.01 seconds of dribbling lukewarm water would do as well or better. Just have to make the actuator wheelchair accessible and they can eliminate those long paddle handles on the taps.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

Don't be silly! Its the toilet scrubber's union who's behind this scam. ;-)

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Nah- it means they're tired of dealing with your sh_t.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

That would be way too practical. Like the stick shift in a car (I'd never buy anything else...).

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

Hello Kryten,

Fridges with ice and cold water dispensers are easier. They have two valves as a paired assembly and those are right on the back. Takes about

30 seconds or so to remove. Been there, done that after ours quit working and a neighbor had to pay almost $150 for that repair. Cost me $43 plus tax for the part and considering the cheesy plastic construction I thought even that was outrageous.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg

You don't have to drive in bumper-to-bumper traffic.

...Jim Thompson