IPv4 addresses to run out in 12 months

IPv4 addresses to run out in 12 months By Iain Thomson Jul 26, 2010 7:25 AM

According to the chief executive of the American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN) the remaining IPv4 addresses available to the industry will run out in less than a year.

Speaking to the ReadWriteWeb blog ARIN chief executive John Curran said that less than six percent of IPv4 internet addresses have yet to be allocated and this will only see the industry though the next 12 months.

==============================

Cheers Don...

--
Don McKenzie

Site Map:            http://www.dontronics.com/sitemap
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
Don McKenzie

(ARIN) the remaining IPv4 addresses available to

less than six percent of IPv4 internet addresses

months.

Over reaction?

I just ran my IPv4 update script now, and after grabbing, merging info from the RIRs, I found: ... post process sorting cleanup duplicates and overlaps whois 57.0.0.1 -> FR dropped 0.391% insert unassigned records inserted 4649 records, 13.851%

Reply to
Grant

(ARIN) the remaining IPv4 addresses available to

less than six percent of IPv4 internet addresses

12 months.

An interesting question would be of all the allocated IPv4 addresses how many are actually used. As an example, several of my previous employers all had Class B Net allocations , but had nowhere near 64000 computers or hardware which needed that address space. In fact one employer had less than 400 computers, but as this couldnt be accomodated within a class C allocation, they just asked for and got a class B. This was back in the 1980s when class B address space was handed out like confetti.

Reply to
Mauried

Numbers (ARIN) the remaining IPv4 addresses available to

less than six percent of IPv4 internet addresses

12 months.

Yes, the RIR info doesn't tell that. Don't think they know.

Those companies should be giving back the unused space? Probably no incentive to, at the moment.

Just checked the uni I went to a decade ago, they still have a /16, can't imagine a country campus for 4k students has anywhere near 65k computers needing public IP addr. I've had up to 9 boxes here sharing the one public IP, five at the moment, three powered up, two in use.

Grant.

Reply to
Grant