Setting 'disable_overscan' depending on the attached display ?

Hello all,

I've got a RPi 3B connected to my TV (youtube), but when making changes I move it over and attach it to a monitor. The thing is that the TV has a black border around the contents, which the monitor doesn't seem to have. I could change the 'disable_overscan' in "/boot/config.txt", but than it will be too big on the monitor (cutting stuff off - not handy when you're using console input).

So, my question: Is there a possibility to make the 'disable_overscan' setting dependant on the display-device that is attached ?

(C++ code or other welcome)

Regards, Rudy Wieser

Reply to
R.Wieser

Not that I know of, but why not see if your TV has a "fit to screen" or "1:1" option, then you can disable overscan for both.

---druck

Reply to
druck

Druck,

Bummer.

I didn't think of it, but I guess I could do that. Its just that I've chosen the current mode (after trying a number of them), because it seems to show everything right (the two auto-fit modes sometimes get it rather obviously (and annoyingly) wrong). /Except/ for the Pi.

Maybe I'll just throw some change-configuration-and-reboot script at it.

Regards, Rudy Wieser

Reply to
R.Wieser

then

Don't confuse various aspect ratio options that should follow flag(s) set in the metadata with an under/overscan option that is likely well buried in the setup system.

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave,

I'm assuming that you mean the video metadata send by the RPi to the TV, but I have no idea what you want to make clear here.

The flag for the RPi seems to be stored in the "/boot/config.txt", under the name "disable_overscan". As that isn't really "well buried", I'm not quite sure we're talking about he same thing here.

Regards, Rudy Wieser

Reply to
R.Wieser

Sorry, I meant in the TV. The TV should have fairly easy to access aspect ratio options. So when a broadcaster sets a flag wrong in the metadata you might be able to overide it.

The TV may well have an over/under scan option as well. This is the one that is likely to be buried in the TV's set up.

Dave.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave,

Thanks, I will take another look at what my TV has to offer in that regard.

Regards, Rudy Wieser

Reply to
R.Wieser

Its as if the devil is playing a game with me: Changing the overscan setting doesn't seem to have any effect on the monitor, but displays a bit too big on the TV. :-)

All that time I spend on thinking of possible solutions ... wasted ! (well, not really. I had fun doing it).

Regards, Rudy Wieser

P.s. The end solution was just copying one of two different config files (with names created from the output of "tvservice -n") to the actual one, and than rebooting.

Reply to
R.Wieser

"R.Wieser" wrote

| Its as if the devil is playing a game with me: Changing the overscan setting | doesn't seem to have any effect on the monitor, but displays a bit too big | on the TV. :-) | | All that time I spend on thinking of possible solutions ... wasted ! (well, | not really. I had fun doing it). |

I don't know from overscan, but I can tell you my Pi4, set to 1280x720 to match the TV, produces a display slightly too big, so I have to enlarge the icons to be sure I can reach the Start Menu and taskbar icons. On another TV I have Win7 set up with dual monitor config at the same size. That one works fine. So it doesn't seem to be a TV quirk. Display drivers? Graphics chip? I don't know. It's close enough that I haven't bothered with it.

Reply to
Mayayana

Mayayana,

I'm not at all sure whats causing it, and definitily do not have enough TVs to do some testing in that regard.

Though I saw, just below the line disabeling the overscan, a few lines with which the overscan border can be altered (each side seperatily). Some fiddeling with those numbers (a stretching the height a bit more than the width), and it looks like it does now fills the display. Or at least just with a minial border (two units perhaps).

Lets see how long it takes before I either go tweaking that last bit, or forget about it altogether. :-)

Regards, Rudy Wieser

Reply to
R.Wieser

On Sun, 10 May 2020 13:15:26 +0200, "R.Wieser" declaimed the following:

Well... monitors were normally calibrated to show all data; TVs (even in digital era) tended to be configured for overscan to hide any black border.

But in these days of HDMI sending/receiving lists of what modes the unit can display -- anything goes. I do know that when I configure a new Raspbian/NOOBS release (which requires one to have a keyboard/mouse/display) using the 22" TV in the bedroom, one of the first things I have to do is enable the expanded display mode.

Someday I may obtain an HDMI cable and leave it connected to my computer monitor so I can connect my R-PIs to it and use the control buttons to toggle input between the HDMI and normal "mini Display Port" that the computer is driving.

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber

Not really, I never use them. On the computer where you wrote the new sd card, re-insert it, access the first partition which is called BOOT and which is FAT32 so all systems can read it, create a new, empty file called "ssh" or even "ssh.txt" if Windows isn't smart enough to allow extensionless files, which will enable ssh access. You will also need a network, of course, which could be an ethernet cable, of if you need wifi you can also create a "wpa_supplicant.conf" file on the BOOT partition, which will be copied & deleted by the system upon first boot.

Not 100% sure this is also true, I think it is though, for NOOBS cards because I never ever create them, I always go straight to Raspbian.

Reply to
A. Dumas