Can't access share with username & password

Either that or he is too Fokkeing stupid to be administering a computer..

"Saki"
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Do me a favour and get lost. I have no experience with Linux. No thanks for your - so called - help.

Reply to
Fokke Nauta

I will no longer pay attention to your entries. Kill file.

Reply to
Fokke Nauta

I think not, just ignorance of of Linux, and I didn't provide step-by-step detail as another did so he assumed it was a command line thing.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

The point s it is not really a linux issue. Its a windows issue. and saying 'I dont understand Linux' when he means 'I dont understand Windows' is not exactly conducive to further assistance

Everything that has been said, could have been gleaned by careful internet research.

One is tempted to conmclude that he doesnt want a solution, just to engage with people ... or at least he wants someone else to give him step by step instructions that he will learn nothing from...

--
There is nothing a fleet of dispatchable nuclear power plants cannot do
that cannot be done worse and more expensively and with higher carbon

Nope, it is an interaction problem between Linux and Windows, solving such problems usually requires good knowledge of *both* sides of the problem - he is telling us that he only knows one side and needs help with the other side.

Only if you have the context to understand it.

Perhaps he needs to learn a lot more Linux basics before he can benefit from anything much less and needs a solution.

C:\>WIN                                     | A better way to focus the sun
Ahem A Rivet's Shot

Its a bit of both, but only because somebody on Redmond thought it would be good idea to change Windows behavior, probably just because he could, and this has been compounded by the OPs lack of Linux knowledge and failure to read Samba docs well enough to find that different usernames mapping has been a known, documented and solved problem since at least

2000 - my copy of O'Reilly's "Samba", (c) 2000 covers it.

... yes - a web search for "Samba" produced the Wikipedia reference as the 4th item in the results list and that articles' External Link is a reference to the Samba home website.

The OP would probably be a lot further on if he had a copy of either

"Linux in a Nutshell"

or the

"Linux Pocket Guide"

simply because most people get on better once they realise that Linux essentially reverses the relationship between GUI and command line compared with Windows: in Linux the desktop is really a fancy cover for the command line while in Windows the command line is only there so you can do stuff the GUI developers couldn't be arsed to implement - at least thats how it often seems to me, though I accept that PowerShell may have changed the balance in recent Windowses, but I digress...

Either book I mentioned should point him at the 'man' and 'apropos' commands and with that, which are the key to finding useful commands. Similarly, if you're using Raspbian, you should have bookmarks for

- the mother lode for Debian Linux, which contains

- the Debian reference manual

- the Debian wiki

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

Perhaps he does, but its likely he will just be another 'I tried Linux, it didnt work for me instantly and since it cost me nothing it must be shit'

--
Of what good are dead warriors? ? Warriors are those who desire battle
more than peace. Those who seek battle despite peace. Those who thump

Don't know. I've attended several GIS-courses bit never found a use for the stuff I learnt in real life (which you can read as meaning I never did any menaingful work in life, real or otherwise).

My mother -- a quite successful PhD career physicist -- insisted on using file names like "Invitation for my birthday - letter to Anni", "Invitation for my birthday - letter to Berta". You can well imagine, what you see and how helpful that is, when you list them in a directory window.

Ah yes. but it's fun when for all the important things -- numbers facts and data -- I can still keep up with the youngsters and can recalls what I just read in a sixty-page article. Not wanting to miss that is what keeps that tiny part of me young.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Reply to

FSVO "meaningful" - that's the trick.

It gets pretty voluminous after a while, though, and encourages you to throw far too many files into one huge tub which you'll spend a lot of time wading through. I'd name files something like:

invitations/birthday/Anni.2019-07-24.txt

Let the directory structure carry some of that information, rather than stuffing it all into the file name.

(When the Mac first came out, someone quipped that you could write a letter to Grandma in the file name.)

Yup. It's fun - although it's somewhat marred when the youngsters look scornfully upon such an ability, claiming that they can look it all up on their phone. However, revenge is sweet when their battery dies. :-)

--
/~\  cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
\ /  I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way.

Not being aware of white space in usernames being a limitation, not realising that the Windows username needs to match the Linux name or knowing of the mapping, well they're simply down to experience. Nobody started out knowing anything, we all had to learn. I have set up Samba on Linux and Windows machines here at home plenty of times and it's always needed a tweek or refer to the docs. I don't think it's ever worked 1st time. I didn't know of the mapping option, but I always have the same usernames for accounts on both Windows and Linux, that just seemed to be obvious, so I've never gone looking to see how you handle the different name situation.

But after Lew had said there was an option in smb.conf and given a link to the setting, to simply type something random into a shell, that's not inexperience it's being deliberately obtuse. Or specifically trolling at this point even if there is a large amount of genuine posting elsewhere in the thread. Or I'm old and far too cynical after

25+ years exposure to trolls and trolling.

And I'd still question what organisation would have usernames on Windows containing spaces? It may be valid but MS specifically suggests against it and it seems absolutely designed for confusion. I'd put money on the fact that at some point someone will have entered Fokke Naute when really the meant Fokke Naute. It's just guaranteed that users will get it wrong.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

Reply to
mm0fmf

Yes, and you can alsoshorten file names a bit by using JavaStyle so- called CamelCase names rather than spaces and underscores as a LongNameReadabilityAid.

Yes, I usually end up doing this and using underscores rather than spaces because I dislike the "requirement to quote names containing spaces".

Paper is good. I'll use eBooks instead of dead trees when they come with two double-sided paperback book-sized pages (so you can have a contents page, two facing pages of text and an index page available at all times) and the whole thing can either be rolled up or has hard covers.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

My point was hat all visible lists cut off names after some number of characters and in these examples all you see is completely identical for all files shown. Go and try to pick a specific one.

Or something like that. Exactly my point. Lost on an astonishingly large number of people.

That too, but also abbreviate redundant stuff and order information sensibly for sorting and picking.

The point in my example was, that we were all expected to have read the article. Lazy as I am I tend to only skim it once but I've become reasonably good at that.

Someone: "the way he sees it is that ..." Me: "Yes, but didn't he also clearly state ." Them: "Hu, what? Ah yes, you're absolutely right."

I love that surprised look from young females.

--

/ \  Mail | -- No unannounced, large, binary attachments, please! --
Reply to
Axel Berger

On Thu, 25 Jul 2019 16:16:28 +0200, Axel Berger declaimed the following:

C:\VB_Shared>dir Volume in drive C is OS Volume Serial Number is 4ACC-3CB4

Directory of C:\VB_Shared

07/25/2019 12:03 PM . 07/25/2019 12:03 PM .. 07/25/2019 11:58 AM 0 This is a long file name in a junk file - having no content - under Windows 10. All for one, and one for All. Let's see ~tildes~ & # @ ! = noise. Will it ever stop.txt 16 File(s) 44,548,564 bytes 3 Dir(s) 1,356,316,938,240 bytes free

C:\VB_Shared>

Well... that didn't truncate, my news client wrapped the file name to two and half lines (note -- I had not reached the limit for Win10 file names but got tired of rambling).

PowerShell even formats it nicely, by not wrapping to the left margin

-- instead indenting the wrapped text into the file name column.

Off hand, I'd say Windows will display to the physical limit of the file name -- and that span would be unique between entries.

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber

Well, at least the Windows utilities you've tried so far will do so. :-)

It reminds me of that Gary Larson cartoon of someone looking through a book of jokes. Everything was filed under T, since each joke's name started with "That one about the..."

--
/~\  cgibbs@kltpzyxm.invalid (Charlie Gibbs)
\ /  I'm really at ac.dekanfrus if you read it the right way.
 X   Top-posted messages will probably be ignored.  See RFC1855.
/ \  "Alexa, define 'bugging'."
Reply to
Charlie Gibbs

RISC OS is particularly problematic as it's default character set isn't quite ISO8859-1 and every foreign filing system or network filing system implements its own mapping. Worst still some of these mappings are not two way, so while the names on the remote system appear to be the same as on RISC OS, RISC OS then see them as different to the original, which completely breaks backups.

So I've had to rename everything thats backed up on to a remote filinf system, so it just contains A to Z, dash, underscore and pling.

---druck

Reply to
druck

I really wouldn't know.

Reply to
Fokke Nauta

Debian doesn't accept spaces in user names.

Reply to
Fokke Nauta

I'll check both out.

Reply to
Fokke Nauta

I'm surprises as I put all items neatlt underneath eachother, and here they are all in one line. And I had to translate it as it was all in Dutch.

totaal 4

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 19 jul 24 14:11 usermap.txt

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 19 jul 24 14:11 /home/pi/samba/usermap.txt

This is a very long list

sudo tail -f /var/log/messages Jul 26 11:09:07 raspberrypi kernel: [162583.834968] Voltage normalised (0x00000000) Jul 26 11:16:37 raspberrypi vncserver-x11[497,root]: Connections: connected: 192.168.1.141::51338 (TCP) Jul 26 11:16:37 raspberrypi vncserver-x11[497,root]: Connections: authenticated: 192.168.1.141::51338 (TCP), as pi (f permissions) Jul 26 11:16:53 raspberrypi kernel: [163049.756895] Voltage normalised (0x00000000) Jul 26 11:17:43 raspberrypi kernel: [163099.677080] Voltage normalised (0x00000000) Jul 26 11:18:22 raspberrypi kernel: [163139.197248] Voltage normalised (0x00000000) Jul 26 11:23:07 raspberrypi kernel: [163424.158385] rpi_firmware_get_throttled: 4 callbacks suppressed Jul 26 11:23:15 raspberrypi kernel: [163432.478429] rpi_firmware_get_throttled: 4 callbacks suppressed Jul 26 11:23:15 raspberrypi kernel: [163432.478436] Voltage normalised (0x00000000) Jul 26 11:23:30 raspberrypi kernel: [163447.038558] Voltage normalised (0x00000000) Jul 26 11:24:03 raspberrypi kernel: [163480.318624] Voltage normalised (0x00000000)

Reply to
Fokke Nauta