Can't Access Using HTTP

I am temporarily connected through a retail vendor's ISP and it has suddenly quit working, well, partly. I can access email and newsgroups, but http access seems to get an error...

ERROR: Gateway Timeout

Funny thing is using Chrome if I type a search string into the address bar it completes a Google search. But I can't find any other way to make Internet access work. Same problem in IE. I can do a Google search and find lots of hits which seem to offer a solution or at least some understanding of the problem but I can't access any of these web sites.

I guess I'm going to have to drive somewhere that has working Internet.

--

Rick
Reply to

It's possible that HTTP connections are being filtered. Google, being a well-known site, may be at the top of the whitelist. The rest of the filter may be broken (?)

You might try other "well known" sites as a test (ebay? some of the large "news" sites, etc.)

Reply to
Don Y

Try pinging the servers that don't work? Tracert?

Tim

Tim Williams

Similar to some degree. it's CAUSED by google chrome, don't know how, but that thing is INSIDIOUS! try isolating it, or de-install and your problems should go away.

Reply to
RobertMacy

It's those gun-control laws >:-] ...Jim Thompson

If you're paranoid, this is the error message that you'll see if your machine has been compromised by a "man in the middle" style attack. You may have a rogue proxy server configured in either the Windoze settings, or in the browser (they can be different). The proxy relays your HTTP traffic to the desired web sites, but also captures all your traffic for future analysis.

Look for a proxy server either at the "retail vendor" or misconfigured in your network settings, or in your browser. By default, Windoze XP will detect, configure, and save a proxy server if you have "Automatically detect settings" checked in the LAN configuration:

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com