Can't access share with username & password

? 41, as expensive as the pi itself

? 14,-

I could purchase this, but I'm about to give up.

All I wanted is to create a share in my pi, and didn't expect it would be so hard. I have some knowledge of Linux left, as I followed a course in SCO Unix years ago. But this is so bloody difficult, and due to the relation between Windows and Linux.

I use the pi as a pi hole in our LAN and that works well. Tried to create a share just to see how it works. No luck.

Reply to
Fokke Nauta

You do have to be prepared to dig about in the logs to identify problems (sometimes you do for windows too)

Ideally you want to leave a "tail -f" command running, for the relevant log file, while you are trying to login to the pi from windows.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Give it a last chance. I ordered it.

Reply to
Fokke Nauta

Have you tried the "net use" command from the Windows command line?

net use z: \\raspberrypiname\sharename /user:linuxusername /persistent:yes linuxuserpassword

where z is a spare drive letter in windows

What message do you get output?

--

Chris Elvidge, England
Reply to

OK, so that Samba should be able to find and use the user map.

Yes -which is why less is the final item in that pipeline - it has good searching capabilities. Read the output from "man less" if you don't know how to use therm.

...and none of the messages were output by smbd or nmbd - I did say that you may have to look at other log files.

As it happens, my recent Buster upgrade install pulled in Samba (which I didn't want) and it turns out that by default it puts Samba logs in the

/var/log/samba

directory, so the place to look for error explanations is in the logs in that directory. What errors were reported there the last time you tried to start and/or connect to a Samba share?

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

[C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCCLE14x64]net use s: \\raspberrypi\pishare /user:pi /persistent:yes xyz System error 1326 has occurred.

The user name or password is incorrect.

I know there is a user "pi" on the pi, and I know the password is correct.

Tried this as well: [C:\Program Files\JPSoft\TCCLE14x64]net use s: \\raspberrypi\pishare /user:'Fokke Nauta' /persistent:yes xyz This resulted in an error message, showing me the syntax.

Reply to
Fokke Nauta

This normally means a conflict in date/time. Are you sure the date and time are the same on RaspberryPi and Windows machine?

Note: /user:"Fokke Nauta" will never work.

--

Chris Elvidge, England
Reply to

Am 26.07.2019 um 14:05 schrieb Fokke Nauta:

Are both users (the system user and the samba user) valid? See my text above.

I will try to help you without reading every post in this thread. I have pasted your smb.conf part with the share. I have added a user pi with adduser pi.

sudo adduser pi

I have controlled the entry by typing grep pi /etc/passwd:

sudo grep pi /etc/passwd pi:x:1002:1002:,,,:/home/pi:/bin/bash

Then I added a samba user by typing

sudo smbpasswd -a pi

I controlled this with

sudo pdbedit -L -v pi

I then made the share dir with

sudo mkdir /home/pi

Now the user pi shall have access to it

sudo chown pi:pi /home/pi

Check with

ls -la /home

drwxr-xr-x 2 pi pi 4096 Jul 26 14:28 pi/

Now go to the Windows machine and open a command shell and type

net view \\yourlinuxmachine

it should be

pishare Platte Pi Shared Folder

in it.

Now use the following command to share the share in Windows with the letter S

net use s: \\yourlinuxmachine\pishare /user:pi /persistent:no pipass

That works all in my environment: linux ubuntu, samba V 4.10.0, Windows

10 Ver 1809.

Hope it helps!!!

Reply to
Helmut Harnisch

There is a time difference from approx. 3 seconds. We have a time server in our LAN. Should I sync the pi with this server? And if so, how would I manage that?

I know, I used 'Fokke Nauta'

Reply to
Fokke Nauta

I did that, but then I time sync all systems on my LAN individually to avoid any dependencies on local systems that may not always be running.

My RPi uses ntpd as its local time source. Its configured to use my choice external of timesource pools to synchronise with rather than using the same one as all other RPi owners. Timesource poools are pre-clustered groups of time sources. Its probably easier to sync with one of them them than to build your own list of individual time sources, but you're free to choose your own selection of time sources.

--
Martin    | martin at
Gregorie  | gregorie dot org

:-)

foolish, and by the rulers as useful.
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

where did you specify the password?

--
"If you don?t read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

sigh....

--
"If you don?t read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

That Seneca bloke knew what he was talking about. I regard religion (of any flavour) as an unfortunate affliction that I am glad I don't suffer from, and label it in my mind as "important only if true". On the other hand, I accept that there *may* be something in it that I don't understand, so I accept that some people are predisposed to "believe" and "have faith" and feel the need to "worship". despite the absence of proof. They have a right to feel the way they do, but they do not have the right to foist those opinions on non-believers by knocking on people's front doors and trying to "sell" they religion to me.

Reply to
NY

Religion has utility and works, true or not.

Just like science.

Unlike science, it doesnt foretell te future .

--
"If you don?t read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

have you tried setting the password (temporarily) to a very "plain" one, very short, no weird characters etc?

Reply to
Andy Burns

On Fri, 26 Jul 2019 11:11:18 +0200, Fokke Nauta declaimed the following:

As I stated "... nor contain a ':' or whitespace, ..."

Spaces are whitespace...

	wlfraed@ix.netcom.com    http://wlfraed.microdiversity.freeddns.org/
Reply to
Dennis Lee Bieber

Trolling now, definitely.

Reply to
mm0fmf

We have a local NTP time server on the server in our LAN. It get's the time from some Dutch sites, and it spreads it around in our LAN. Should I get the Pi to listen to this NTP server? If so, how would I do that?

Reply to
Fokke Nauta

The password is 8265ja

Should be allright, shouldn't it?